Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Doppleganger
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25754
PostPosted: 30-05-2012 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramonmercado wrote:
rynner2 wrote:
[pedant] I pointed out some decades ago (it seems Wink ) that the thread title should be Doppelgangers (or even Doppelgänger, as wiki has it!) [/pedant]

Did you have to say it twice?

Yes, I doppled up! Wink
SHAYBARSABEOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1487
PostPosted: 30-05-2012 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

sciotofloods wrote:
I once had an interesting experience with my own double, or "fetch", while meditating.

Interesting story. I think one rarely gets to face one's own dark side so directly. Jung had tons of things to say about the matter.
bobandterryOffline
Grey
Total posts: 29
PostPosted: 09-10-2013 11:54    Post subject: You look just like me Reply with quote

I was reading the false arrival thread and it discussed Doppelgangers. Bought me back to an experience when I was 11 or 12. I was in what is now Primark but I think it was House of Fraser at the time on the Horsefair Broadmead Bristol. A gang of us use to venture into town. While heading onto the stairs. A young lad my age was walking down. We both stared at each other, his expression I can only described as disbelief and probably replicated my expression too. It was my Doppelganger. It was a very strange feeling to looking at a double.
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
Total posts: 1741
PostPosted: 09-10-2013 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder where the line is between having a doppleganger and bilocating?

One imagines that if one bilocated one would be aware of it afterwards if it was just yourself in two places at once... or would one? Confused
SHAYBARSABEOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 09-10-2013 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneWingedBird wrote:
I wonder where the line is between having a doppleganger and bilocating?

One imagines that if one bilocated one would be aware of it afterwards if it was just yourself in two places at once... or would one? Confused

Good questions. By chance, I'm reading "A Hat Full of Sky" where one character is a single person who has two (separate) bodies. The character seems to mix her memories.

That aside, perhaps, in bilocating, the person who ultimately disappears acts on their own without the knowledge of the person who will remain. Upon disappearing, however, the disappeared person's memories jump into the remaining person's brain--which might be confusing to say the least. Of course, the effect might explain where "alien" memories come from.

Erm. I must get some lunch, I sound sillier than usual.
piplingOffline
Grey
Total posts: 16
PostPosted: 11-10-2013 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a doppelgänger, or at least one it seems.
On numerous occasions I have been mistaken for somebody else, most recently a lady stopped me in the High Street to ask how "your Michelle" was up to, and then pointed at my daughter and said "When did you have another one?" I was completely confused and told her she had mistaken me for someone else, but she refused to believe me Laughing . She carried on with "But you're Mary's girl!", to which I assured her I was not, and my family was from many miles away from the area i now live.

She was astounded when I finally convinced her I was not who she thought I was (It took about 15 minutes), and kept telling me "But you're her double!", she was still staring at me and muttering in disbelief as I walked down the street.

A few weeks later, my next door neighbour told me she had seen me earlier that day in the High Street, and that I had ignored her when she spoke to me and wouldn't acknowledge her at all - I told her I hadn't been anywhere near it that day - but she still swears to this day that she saw me.

The thing that puzzles me with these stories, is that I am disabled and walk with a distinct limp. My neighbour very tactfully Wink said that the person she saw "Even walked like you do". So not only do I have a double, they have crooked legs like me too!
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 12940
PostPosted: 11-10-2013 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fifteen minutes?! You have the patience of Job!
piplingOffline
Grey
Total posts: 16
PostPosted: 11-10-2013 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
Fifteen minutes?! You have the patience of Job!

OK, 15 minutes maybe a slight exaggeration, but a good 5-10 minutes as she took some convincing, I can tell you! She decided to tell me a potted history of the person she thought I was and asked where I lived - as it turned out I live very close to my "double", but I have never seen her.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 13-10-2013 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this double is like a person echo you only hear through other people?
SHAYBARSABEOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 15-10-2013 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
Maybe this double is like a person echo you only hear through other people?

That's a fascinating thought. Thank you for posting.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 16-10-2013 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mention it! Dunno how it would work scientifically, but it could be nothing to do with science as we know it.
ScribblesOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 83
PostPosted: 18-10-2013 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really cool to see this thread up here after watching 'The Two Faces of Evil' in my newly purchased Hammer House of Horror box set! It's the episode I remember most from my childhood and it was the first time I heard about doppelgangers!

Looking at the dates of transmission I was really young when my parents let me watch this stuff, not even a teenager. There is no way I would let my kids (aged 10 and 12) watch this boxset! 1980s parenting rocked!
Spudrick68Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1178
PostPosted: 18-10-2013 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad used to make me go to bed early so that I could get up and watch Hammer horror films. I can't think why I'm on here now. Rolling Eyes
Naughty_FelidOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 220
PostPosted: 19-10-2013 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scribbles wrote:
Really cool to see this thread up here after watching 'The Two Faces of Evil' in my newly purchased Hammer House of Horror box set! It's the episode I remember most from my childhood and it was the first time I heard about doppelgangers!

Looking at the dates of transmission I was really young when my parents let me watch this stuff, not even a teenager. There is no way I would let my kids (aged 10 and 12) watch this boxset! 1980s parenting rocked!

Is that the one with the family picks up the hitchhiker in the oilskins??

That truly was some scary television and I can still freak my sister out by making the moaning sound the hitchhiker makes in the car.

Interesting subject.

I have a friend called Marion who has had a doppelganger, she has never see her herself but friends would often report going up to this women because she so looked like Marion, hair, figure, clothing etc. Sadly though she's had no reports for a few years so maybe the double has moved away?

I saw a little boy that looked just like me when I was 4 about 10 years ago. He was playing in a pub garden that me and my wife were sitting in with his family near by. My wife had seen enough photos of me to see the similarity and remarked on it. The slightly disconcerting thing was his haircut was Identical to mine at that age, with the slight centre parting and bowl cut.

Very 70's and hardly the sort of cut a kid would have had back in 2000ish. It was a very strange feeling. I didn't go up and talk to him or his family, (that would have been weird), and he took no notice of me at all.
ScribblesOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 83
PostPosted: 19-10-2013 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the one with the hitchhiker in the bright yellow oilskins! And yep, I'm guessing that most of us on this board watched stuff like this when we were kids and here we are today! That episode's story and so many of the images in it have stuck with me for thirty years. Makes me wonder if I'm not doing my kids a disservice by being strict about age appropriate material. They're not going to be the next Stephen King at this rate.

I am very jealous of all these real-life doppelganger stories on here, so interesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: