Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Doppleganger
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naughty_FelidOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 221
PostPosted: 20-10-2013 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scribbles wrote:
Yes, the one with the hitchhiker in the bright yellow oilskins! And yep, I'm guessing that most of us on this board watched stuff like this when we were kids and here we are today! That episode's story and so many of the images in it have stuck with me for thirty years. Makes me wonder if I'm not doing my kids a disservice by being strict about age appropriate material. They're not going to be the next Stephen King at this rate.

I am very jealous of all these real-life doppelganger stories on here, so interesting.

http://cdn.static.ovimg.com/episode/215964.jpg

We were allowed to watch this, me and my sister I'd have been around 11 she's a couple of years older.

I watched lots of hammer films on friday nights on my portable black and white tv after everyone had gone to bed. Loved it.
ScribblesOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 83
PostPosted: 31-10-2013 02:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

That picture gave me the chills Shocked

Finished the box set, the episodes weren't great by the end. 'Tales of the Unexpected' next, I think!
bobandterryOffline
Grey
Total posts: 29
PostPosted: 02-11-2013 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneWingedBird wrote:
I wonder where the line is between having a doppleganger and bilocating?

One imagines that if one bilocated one would be aware of it afterwards if it was just yourself in two places at once... or would one? Confused

Really interesting idea. Have not taken that into consideration.
bunnymousekittOffline
rabbity mousey cat-like thing
Total posts: 286
PostPosted: 23-08-2014 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: dopplegangers
Here is a neat little article from a neuro-psychological perspective:

How to learn to love to your doppleganger - hallucinating yourself can be both a symptom and a tool:
http://nautil.us/issue/13/symmetry/how-to-learn-to-love-your-doppleganger
KencoOffline
Grey
Total posts: 3
PostPosted: 30-08-2014 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a doppelganger around where I live. I had several incidents around ten years ago, as I'll relate, but the first time I became aware of my double was back in around 1996 when a friend of mine asked me where I'd been going one afternoon when he saw me driving out of our town. I was puzzled by this, as I'd still been at work at the time he saw "me". He told me that he'd seen "me" driving the same type of car and - spookily - it was the same colour.

Fast-forwarding a few years to 2003 / 04, I was in our local nightclub one evening when a woman came up to me, acting in a very friendly manner as if she knew me. "Oooh! Hello!" she said, putting her hand on my arm. I looked at her blankly. She studied my face a bit closer and then said, "oh. It's not you is it?". I just smiled and shook my head and she disappeared.

Soon after this, I was visiting my dad in hospital after he'd been admitted with heart trouble (turned out to be a medication issue and he was fine). A bloke and his missus were visiting an old gent who occupied the bed-but-one to my dad. I kept noticing the bloke who was visiting looking at me. I was starting to feel a bit nervous about it, so he came over, apologising, saying that I was the exact double of a guy he knew at work. He was looking because he was sure it was him, then telling himself that it wasn't... then having to look again to make sure. I told him that this wasn't the first time it had happened and related to him the night club incident. We had a laugh about it. I think he told me my double's name. It's a shame that I didn't take some notes and try to track him down for a photo opportunity.

Anyway, I've not had any doppelganger incidents for several years now. Perhaps he's moved away.
Naughty_FelidOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 221
PostPosted: 31-08-2014 07:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenco wrote:
I used to have a doppelganger around where I live. I had several incidents around ten years ago, as I'll relate, but the first time I became aware of my double was back in around 1996 when a friend of mine asked me where I'd been going one afternoon when he saw me driving out of our town. I was puzzled by this, as I'd still been at work at the time he saw "me". He told me that he'd seen "me" driving the same type of car and - spookily - it was the same colour.

Fast-forwarding a few years to 2003 / 04, I was in our local nightclub one evening when a woman came up to me, acting in a very friendly manner as if she knew me. "Oooh! Hello!" she said, putting her hand on my arm. I looked at her blankly. She studied my face a bit closer and then said, "oh. It's not you is it?". I just smiled and shook my head and she disappeared.

Soon after this, I was visiting my dad in hospital after he'd been admitted with heart trouble (turned out to be a medication issue and he was fine). A bloke and his missus were visiting an old gent who occupied the bed-but-one to my dad. I kept noticing the bloke who was visiting looking at me. I was starting to feel a bit nervous about it, so he came over, apologising, saying that I was the exact double of a guy he knew at work. He was looking because he was sure it was him, then telling himself that it wasn't... then having to look again to make sure. I told him that this wasn't the first time it had happened and related to him the night club incident. We had a laugh about it. I think he told me my double's name. It's a shame that I didn't take some notes and try to track him down for a photo opportunity.

Anyway, I've not had any doppelganger incidents for several years now. Perhaps he's moved away.

Again that weird thing where we don't push it or follow stuff up. The old Fortean mind sap.
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13557
PostPosted: 31-08-2014 08:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

May have mentioned this before - one of my brothers had a double.

This Bro was on the folkie scene and would dress up in moleskins and weskit to accompany laments upon the accordion about failed harvests.

People kept telling him that they'd seen him at one event or another that he hadn't been to, when he hadn't even said hello, and eventually he was shown a video of himself singing and playing and told Look! You can't deny it!
But it wasn't Bro. He'd been elsewhere at that time.

He eventually tracked down the lookalike and they had a few beers together, and I have a photo of them somewhere both waving their absolutely distinctive long fingers which nobody could possibly mistake for anyone else's.

The lookalike had also been spotted at events he hadn't been to. I thought they'd have made a great novelty duo, maybe as folksinging singing conjoined twins, but it wasn't to be. Sad
Human_84Offline
We wont hurt you human.
Total posts: 1238
PostPosted: 20-09-2014 04:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever FOUND a doppleganger, SPOKE with them, TOOK PHOTOS, then proceeded to have medical tests done which ACTUALLY proved that they were genetically the same?

I don't doubt that there are dopplegangers, but it would be nice to analyze a bit more.

Some awesome stories here. About once a year, people recognize me as someone else, and then quickly realize i look similar but not the same. So in my case, this seems to imply that my appearance is bland or lacking uniqueness. But for others I realize there's much more to it.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 12952
PostPosted: 20-09-2014 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are billions of people on the planet, it's only natural some of us will look like a bunch of the rest. The word "doppelganger" always suggested some sort of supernatural glitch to me, though.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25780
PostPosted: 20-09-2014 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
The word "doppelganger" always suggested some sort of supernatural glitch to me, though.

At least you spell it correctly,unlike the thread title! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: