Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
London Underground oddness
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> General Forteana
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quake42Offline
Warrior Princess
Total posts: 5757
PostPosted: 09-03-2011 10:32    Post subject: London Underground oddness Reply with quote

I noticed there didn't seem to be a thread on this, so I decided to start one! A general home for any unusual or weird Tube-related stories.

I'll kick off. This morning on the District Line I saw a man in a suit and bowler hat. Not too unusual although bowler hats are seen relatively rarely these days. What was surprising was that he was painted bright blue.

I assume it was some sort of performance art - I considered the Blue Man Group but he didn't seem to be dressed in the way they usually do and I think it was a slightly different shade! Anyone else spot him?
Black River FallsOffline
I wear a fez now.
Total posts: 8716
PostPosted: 09-03-2011 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a 'human statue' around York sometimes who sounds like that, though he's usually on a bicycle and his clothes are kind of wired into a flighty pose.

Perhaps your man was on his way to Leicester Square for a bit of posing, and he uses the hat to collect his money in?

Edit: here's the York chappy. Was your guy similar? Like he'd painted his clothes as well? Or did he have blue skin and regular clothes?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/BlackRiverFalls/purpleman.jpg
Quake42Offline
Warrior Princess
Total posts: 5757
PostPosted: 09-03-2011 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photo BRF! But no, my guy was dressed in normal (if rather formal and old-fashioned) clothes. It was just his skin which was bright blue. I see a fair few human statues and similar street performers in central London, but this guy didn't really look like one.
MythopoeikaOffline
I am a meat popsicle
Total posts: 10445
PostPosted: 09-03-2011 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he was going into work to hand in his notice in spectacular fashion?
tomxxy2000Offline
Grey
Total posts: 25
PostPosted: 08-08-2011 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little surprised this thread did not prevoke more response, my only thoughts are of the poor chap in an American Werewolf in London who gets savaged at Tottenham Court Road station but of course that's mythical. Then again I don't live in London so what might be odd to me would be an ordinary day to someone in the big smoke!
McAvennie_Offline
OBE
Total posts: 2815
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 09:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something very creepy about the maze like tunnels of the LU. Especially if you are in them late at night on your own.

There is something very cool about them too though, I love the 1930s feel of some of them and the feeling that you could glimpse a bowler hat and umbrella clad phantom.

I think that most of the peculiar LU stories ended up in the generic 'Underground' thread, although there is probably a case to be made for an 'Underground' (caves and underground places) thread and an 'Underground' (LU) thread.

The characters you see on a cities transit system are always a treat. I saw a guy last month who was absolutely wasted fall asleep on his seat but holding his can up straight out in front of him, didn't spill a drop even though the can seemed certain to end up all over the floor. Another tall, wiry guy dunking a tea bag in and out of an invisible tea cup as he paced the platform and another who had a ritual of taking one shoe off, performing some kind of prayer ritual, putting the shoe back on and standing bolt upright then repeating the process all over again. And again. And again. And that is without mentioning the screamers, manic laughers and the well dressed begging lady who sits with her hand out sweetly asking for help before launching an angry tirade at everyone who passed her by.
CochiseOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1676
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 09:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Glasgow Underground (tube) has its own ghost legends as well. I've never been on it, but it certainly looks spooky in old pictures.
McAvennie_Offline
OBE
Total posts: 2815
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 09:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cochise wrote:
The Glasgow Underground (tube) has its own ghost legends as well. I've never been on it, but it certainly looks spooky in old pictures.

Ghosts are the last thing you need to be scared of on there! Laughing
MoookstaOffline
Muppet
Total posts: 1905
PostPosted: 12-08-2011 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried looking, Rynner's very good at finding old threads...

There's a huge thread about London underground somewhere. It includes a timeslip story, a ghost in Balham, a link to the documentary about "Ghost of the London Underground" and my own story about the female ghost that haunts Kinning Park tube station in Glasgow. The oldest underground system in the country I believe!

Where's the old thread?
colinbaker32Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 226
PostPosted: 12-08-2011 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

its in the ghosts section
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25212
PostPosted: 14-04-2012 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brompton Road Tube ghost station resurrection plans announced
By Andy Dangerfield, BBC London News

''When we first went in with torches, the place was crackling with atmosphere," said entrepreneur Ajit Chambers.
"We are holding this feeling, bottling it and showing the world's tourists just how amazing the history of London is."
Then Prime Minister Winston Churchill watched over the Royal Artillery's anti-aircraft operations during World War II from a secret command centre at Brompton Road Underground station.

Now Mr Chambers has announced abandoned Brompton Road Tube in south-west London is the first station he plans to develop into a tourist attraction.
"Proceedings began this morning to purchase our first abandoned Underground station," Mr Chambers said.
"This site is perfect for what we want to use it for," said the man who owns The Old London Underground Company.

"We would like to have a rooftop restaurant, and use the deep drop shafts for climbing walls," he said.
"The visit down to Brompton Road will be comparable to the London Eye and Madame Tussauds."

Mr Chambers is working with the Ministry of Defence (MoD), which owns many of the stations, to lease the sites, he calls "ghost stations".
He has also been in talks with the Greater London Authority and Transport for London (TfL), which owns the network.
They have both said they are "in principle" in favour of the proposals, provided suitably detailed and properly funded plans are put forward.

Brompton Road Tube opened in 1906 on the Piccadilly Line, positioned between Knightsbridge and South Kensington.
But it was permanently closed 28 years later when nearby Knightsbridge was modernised and given a new entrance, and after diminishing footfall Brompton Road was deemed to be no longer economically viable.

The station was taken over by the MoD and became a central part of the war effort, of which some of the evidence is still in remarkable condition.
Maps of London still hang from the walls of the war room where the anti-aircraft command centre used to be.
It is thought Rudolf Hess, Adolf Hitler's deputy in the Nazi Party, was brought to the station to be debriefed after being captured in Scotland in 1941.

Brompton Road is not the only station Mr Chambers has his sights set on.
At least 21 stations remain abandoned on the network, but TfL has warned some might prove a challenge to develop.
"The majority of our disused stations are in direct proximity to the operational railway which would present a significant safety challenge," said TfL spokesman David McNeill.
"Most have not been in public use for many years and would require significant investment before they could be used regularly by members of the public.
"We have explained to Mr Chambers that we would consider proposals from him.
"However, given the safety and operational issues involved and the need to protect public money, a proposal would have to be reasonably detailed."

A spokesperson for the Greater London Authority said: "Ajit Chambers met with the mayor and officials from London Underground last September where it was agreed that follow up discussions with London Underground would take place and if a comprehensive commercial proposal was received then it would be considered."

Mr Chambers remains enthusiastic about the potential of certain sites including Down Street, another former Piccadilly line station, which lies between Green Park and Hyde Park Corner, and was closed in 1932.
Also, frequented by the cabinet during the war, it still contains a bed and bath thought to have been used by the then Mr Churchill.
"That's the one people will get really excited about," Mr Chambers said.
"The legacy of these ghost stations is better to experience in person than can ever be described."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-17699680
Jerry_BOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 8265
PostPosted: 16-04-2012 07:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many moons ago, en route from Richmond to Earls Court one busy morning on the District Line, I looked up from reading my book to see a man dressed as an Arthurian-type figure. He must've been in his late 50s, had a beard, a crown, fake chain mail, and a white tabard with a large red cross on it (i.e. Crusader style). In one hand he was clutching a roll of parchment. Typically for London, no-one was paying any attention to him Wink IIRC, he dismembarked at Earls Court but I lost sight of him in the rush hour crowds.
cherrybombOffline
Skating the thin crust
Total posts: 1065
PostPosted: 16-04-2012 08:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first left home at 17 & moved to London I used to have dreams that I'd get on the LU and be taken to the depths of Hell. After a few months of the commute from Stratford East/Canning town to Swiss cottage every day I realised that was Hell!

I've had a few odd things happen on the LU, the one that springs to mind is: I once saw a man standing on the very edge of the platform @ TCR, he looked like he was about to jump, but as the train came into the station, it knocked him and he did a 360 spin. But was, it seemed totally unharmed. Made me feel sick tho Dead / drunk

There's always a good old fashioned nutter on the LU, no matter what time you're on/where you're going, theres always a nutter! Psychout
eburacumOffline
Papo-Furado
Total posts: 1656
PostPosted: 17-04-2012 00:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

This website has some interesting stuff, including a bit about Brompton Road;
http://underground-history.co.uk/front.php

and for more fun visit
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/
especially this page
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/sites/b/brompton_road/index.shtml

A lot of down-at-heel stations are being redeveloped- look at the East London Line. I think that many of these atmospheric underground ruins won't stay that way for long.
cherrybombOffline
Skating the thin crust
Total posts: 1065
PostPosted: 17-04-2012 08:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a wonderfully creepy video featuring one of my fave LU stops Mornington Crescent - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8md9mUs8Uls

I had a rather odd thing happen at this station myself. I got on the first train of the day on my way to work, and the carriage I was in was fairly empty. A man got on about 30ish, smartly dressed and began dusting all the empty seats. He didn't sit down, just kept dusting. Then got off a few stops later. Shocked

I've seen a very smartly dressed woman stop outside Camden station, pull down her pants and do a wee in the middle of the day! nooo As my Gran would have said: There's none so queer as folk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> General Forteana All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: