Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
London Underground oddness
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> General Forteana
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quake42Offline
Warrior Princess
Total posts: 5767
PostPosted: 17-04-2012 09:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've seen a very smartly dressed woman stop outside Camden station, pull down her pants and do a wee in the middle of the day!

Yuk! Some years ago there was a woman at Brixton station who was notorious for pulling down her pants and, er, doing a number two on the platform, prior to running up and down asking for toilet paper! In fairness I think she had some pretty severe mental problems.

Still, not really what you want at 8.30 in the morning on your way to work!
SpookdaddyOffline
Cuckoo
Total posts: 4269
PostPosted: 17-04-2012 09:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cherish those occasional publicly addressed musings you still sometimes get from underground staff - (I mean, apart from the fairly regular, 'If the bloke in the blue suit doesn't get his backside inside the carriage I won't be able to shut the bloody doors will I? And we won't be going anywhere, will we?', type.)

I was once on a packed train which was inexplicably stalled at an equally rammed station when, after a few minutes, the drivers voice came through the speakers and said, in a proper old-school London accent:

'Who are all these people? Where did they all come from? Where are they all going?'

What made it funny was that he sounded so serious - like he was genuinely perplexed by the whole thing, and really quite wanted to know what was going on.
cherrybombOffline
Skating the thin crust
Total posts: 1074
PostPosted: 17-04-2012 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a fair amount of time in Brixton, never saw the pooing woman, tho, thankfully!

Here's a good site for all things LU http://districtdave.proboards.com/index.cgi
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 20706
PostPosted: 17-04-2012 11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spookdaddy wrote:
I cherish those occasional publicly addressed musings you still sometimes get from underground staff - (I mean, apart from the fairly regular, 'If the bloke in the blue suit doesn't get his backside inside the carriage I won't be able to shut the bloody doors will I? And we won't be going anywhere, will we?', type.)

I was once on a packed train which was inexplicably stalled at an equally rammed station when, after a few minutes, the drivers voice came through the speakers and said, in a proper old-school London accent:

'Who are all these people? Where did they all come from? Where are they all going?'

What made it funny was that he sounded so serious - like he was genuinely perplexed by the whole thing, and really quite wanted to know what was going on.

Sounds like a wail of existential despair.

Maybe he applied for a job as a kitchen porter and ended up as a railway porter by mistake.
Heckler20Offline
The Sockpuppet of
Total posts: 4942
PostPosted: 17-04-2012 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramonmercado wrote:
Sounds like a wail of existential despair.

Maybe he applied for a job as a kitchen porter and ended up as a railway porter by mistake.

Could've been worse, he could've ended up as Nyree Dawn Porter.
MythopoeikaOnline
I am a meat popsicle
Total posts: 10471
PostPosted: 17-04-2012 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramonmercado wrote:

No, no, it sounds like he drank too much porter...
Jerry_BOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 8265
PostPosted: 17-04-2012 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spookdaddy wrote:

Ten or so years ago, LU actually had a section on their website where people could post the funny things they'd heard staff say over the tannoy, etc.. This soon got pulled as various tales came to the surface that didn't show the staff in a good light (i.e. a driver left his intercom on and was heard to say 'Sod 'em, I don't care if they're late...' - and some worse ones). There were also some extremely funny ones, i.e. a driver announcing (in the style of an airline pilot) the ETA for the next station, what the weather was like there, and that it was 'in Greenwich Mean Time and so there will be no need to adjust your watches'... rofl

That said, I've heard some various funny announcements/statements from LU drivers over the years. A few have been absolute comedy genius Very Happy
SpookdaddyOffline
Cuckoo
Total posts: 4269
PostPosted: 17-04-2012 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted the following links on other threads, but they are kind of relevant here, and definitely worth watching, so I hope I'll be forgiven for repeating myself.

Quote:
I was a great fan of the old 40 Minutes and Q.E.D. documentary series.

Molly Dineen's 1989, Heart of the Angel is a classic.

Part 1: Link.

Part 2: Link.

Part 3: Link.

Part 4: Link.

Quote:
escargot1 wrote:
Next Tuesday, Halloween, 11pm, Ch 5: Ghosts Of The London Underground! Very Happy

Some nice person has uploaded this 2006 documentary onto YouTube - you lucky people.

Here.

Edit: I should maybe point out that Heart of the Angel isn't specifically fortean in subject matter - but it's still well worth watching. And, having said that, it's always struck me that the relatively recent past can seem somehow stranger and more distant than events much further away in time - so maybe it won't be just me who finds it as oddly fascinating as more obviously peculiar subjects can be.
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 11-02-2014 07:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passing this one along.

Tickets are now available for guided tours around the, long closed, Aldwych Station, in June.

Quote:
http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/events/events-calendar#aldwych

Tours of Aldwych Disused Underground Station

Dates: 5-29 June

There is a rare opportunity to take a tour of the disused Aldwych Underground station in the Strand from Thursdays to Sundays in June 2014. Led by expert guides, the public will be able to see the ticket hall, abandoned platforms and tunnels, and inter-connecting walkways – including some that have very rarely been seen by the public.

Aldwych station is one of London’s secret places, holding myths and memories of times gone by. It opened to the public in 1907. It was never as heavily used as originally intended and closed nearly 100 years later in 1994. The station has had a varied history; it provided shelter to Londoners during the Blitz and has been used for film and TV shoots including, Sherlock, Mr Selfridge and Atonement.

The tours will involve groups of up to 40 people and will run from Thursday 5 to Sunday 29 June.
Tickets

Tickets: Adult £25.00, Concession £20.00
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> General Forteana All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: