Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Ghost tales from everyday people!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26175
PostPosted: 21-01-2013 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

staticgirl wrote:
(It will descend into a fight at some point. That message board always does apart from the Cat Thread.)

It's tempting to join, just to start a cat fight! Twisted Evil
LoquaciousnessOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 84
PostPosted: 21-01-2013 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not convinced by any of those videos Sad.
liveinabin1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1878
PostPosted: 21-01-2013 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

That video is nonsense.
The woman walking down the path is just a woman walking down the path, simple as that.
The middle video had its own thread here a while ago.
The final one is an insect on the lens.

As for the pictures, most of them seem to be old school double exposure, especially the one with the baby on the grave.
And I do wonder if with some of them, like that picture, the story has be subject to chinese whispers over the years.
smokeheadOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 256
PostPosted: 02-02-2013 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's me ghost story.
They called him little Walter, because he was little and his name was Walter, the storeman in a warehouse that used to be a Methodist church.
One dark winters night, for a loff, the lads took him upstairs to where the pulpit would have been,tied him to the railings and ran off, turning off all the lights.
When they went to release him the poor lad was in hysterics, so much so they sent him home, he left not long after which meant the company required a new storeman.
Enter an idiot, me, and I heard the story of little Walter later on.
Before that I noticed that there was something creepy about that upstairs area, I saw and heard nothing, and the only thing I can tell you is that I really didn't like going up there, I just felt uneasy.
They told me the stories, footsteps heard in the warehouse by someone working late, nobody there of course, a driver who said he was a medium who claimed he saw the ghost of an elderly woman and a little girl, again I saw and heard nothing, apart from that odd feeling in the upstairs area.
Eventually we moved to new premises, and it became a tyre depot, a woman who worked for us had a nephew working at the tyre depot, and got some new tyres at a discount.
She asked if he had seen the ghost yet, he said that not long before one of the lads had come running out of the stores claiming he had seen a woman.
Oddly the building next door, which was the Anchor pub, became a dance studio and there were reports of poltergiest type activity.
I found out later from Nick at the W.M.G.C. that workmen digging outside the old church had found the skeleton of a child, although there were no further details.
bugmumOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 71
PostPosted: 15-02-2013 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking of other people's ghosts, I am reminded of a schoolfriend who lived in a big Victorian villa close to our school; on cold mornings, dropped off way too early by the service bus, another friend and I would wander down to sit in her living room whilst she got ready for school. One morning she casually mentioned that her younger sister, who had been the only one at home, had gone out of the living room and glanced up the stairs to see a woman who looked just like their mother but "all in white". I never did leave that room without a hopeful glance upwards after that...
MercuryCrestOffline
The Severed Head Of A
Total posts: 712
PostPosted: 15-02-2013 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just PM'd this to someone asking about "Ghost Powers", but I may as well put it here:

I was maybe 8 years old when this happened. I was living in West Allis, WI.

I went to bed as usual and the next thing I knew, I was standing, facing West, with my back to my closet door (as an aside, I never consciously turned my back to the closet door at night...monsters and such).

In front of me, there was this "thing", floating there. It was whiteish and semi-translucent. It wasn't exactly human-shaped. It was a white "figure" with large, deep, black holes for the eyes, a larger black hole for the mouth, and no nose/nose-hole.

It just floated there in front of me, wavering. I could see my guinea pig through the "ghost" and he was really agitated. When he turned and looked at me (or at the ghost; it was between myself and Blackie's cage), he froze solid and stayed that way for the duration.

This whole thing took maybe 20-30 seconds. The next thing I knew, I was sitting upright in bed, fully awake.

Of particular note is that my dreams don't usually encompass normal settings. There is always a major change in a room or house which is noticeable and for all intents and purposes, this seemed to be my actual room.

Also, when I awoke, I didn't actually wake up. I was fully conscious from the moment the thing had "teleported" me in front of the closet, to the moment I was sitting up in bed.

I still remember asking my mom if ghosts could "teleport you" the very next morning.
smokeheadOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 256
PostPosted: 16-02-2013 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read that animals are more sensitive to the presence of ghosts than people.
My house has a nice warm family feel ,and there is nothing remotely spooky about it.
One night though my mad yorkie who for some reason liked to lie down beneath the telly suddenly jerked his head up and then clearly watched something crossing the room, turning his head to follow it.
It was odd,because if anybody came to the door the mad bugger would go absolutely berserk, but whatever he was watching seemed to have a kind of hypnotic effect on him, I called his name a couple of times but he was oblivious.
Then he just stopped and flopped back down for a snooze.
I saw,heard and felt nothing,very peculiar.
titch4Offline
Yeti
Total posts: 33
PostPosted: 22-02-2013 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the same experience when i was alone in my brothers house, his black lab started growling and her head turned from left to right as if she was walking somebody walk through the kitchen into the living room, sadly i sen and felt nothing strange.

Last November my best friend told me a ghost sighting told to him by his dad, reported to him be his son in law.

The son in law was driving home from work, it was dark and he says he is sure he seen a monk standing in a graveyard as he drove by.

Under questioning my friend said there are no statues or trees that could be mistaken for a monk, but i am unsure how reliable a fleeting glimpse at night should be regarded.
amarok2005Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 220
PostPosted: 03-03-2013 03:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

MercuryCrest:

Sorry I didn't thank you for your email about the teleporting ghost. I was nearly a ghost myself after two weeks of allergies and bronchitis!

Your post now makes me want to examine other aspects of ghosts, like their appearances: as doughy, near-shapeless things, or exact replicas of deceased humans, or rotting corpses -- and what point of decay do they decide to look like (if they have some choice)?

Three hundred and more years ago, ghosts normally appeared as something else -- spectral animals or floating flames, usually, but sometimes something odd, like floating bales of hay!
Eve11Offline
Grey
Total posts: 25
PostPosted: 06-03-2013 01:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right I have some time to post my one and only clear cut "ghost story".

It was actually a house that belonged to some friends of mine, a standard 2 bed victorian terrace. Of the couple, the woman was open minded, the man very, very sceptical.

My first impression when they moved in was the place had an odd atmosphere, nothing beyond that at first. It developed into a sense of being watched or followed, especially if I was moving from room to room on my own. And sometimes I could feel something moving around - I can't explain it beter than saying being aware something had walked in or left a room, or walked past a door, but nothing certain or clearly visible. I particular felt it at the top of the stairs.

After this had happened for the upteenth time, I mentioned it to my friend. I was surprised at her reaction, she said it was "him", that the place was haunted and "he" followed her a lot from room to room. I was surprised she hadn't told me about it, but she made it clear that her partner was so freaked about some of the things that had happened it was a sore subject and had been the source of some tension between them. She just had this sense that he followed her about the house to such an extent she felt the need to chat to him and form some kind of rapport. She said he didn't feel threatening but she got the feeling he was very protective of her and was sometimes quite overpowering and invasive though he never seemd to come in her bedroom. She had actually seen a figure she described as "misty" at the top of the stairs several times, and her partner had seen him once.

When her partner returned the conversation continued. He was really wound up and defensive about it, denying any of it could be real. But the best story they gave was the time he saw it. She went to go to the toilet in the night and when she opened the door she could see the outline of a figure at the top of the stairs. She wouldn't leave the room and woke her partner to come out with her. He got really pissed off saying there's nothing there etc, and stormed out and straight through the figure. He recounted it to me - he said he was so mad he just walked out, and he says he did see it but was walking too fast to register it or process what he'd seen until after he was on the other side. He said it was like walking through a wall of white fog.

It was quite a while ago and I can't remember all the detail they gave, but this gives context at least to my 3 experiences.

Firstly, I was having some work done and slept over in their front room. I was laying on the sofa trying to sleep when I heard the clicking of stereo and TV buttons behind me. Buttons clicking on and off, switches being fiddled with, crackling from the equipment and sounded like cd trays opening and closing. It went on and on, not just a few times, all f*cking night. I chose not to look. In the morning I recounted this and their glib reply was, yes, he's fascinated by the stereo and TV, does it all the time. Thanks for warning me, I reply. I also asked why they didn't keep it switched off at the wall. They said it made no difference, he'd switch it back on anyway Shocked

The second one, and this is the one that actually made me post here in the first place because I think it's quite an interesting apparition.
My friend had had to call out a doctor. I was with her. After the doc had gone I was just sitting with her on the sofa, and from where I was I had a clear line of vision through the door and into the entrance hall. My eye was drawn to movement and as I looked into the doorway I saw the most bizarre thing. The only way I can describe it was like a figure some distance away down a long passageway walking towards the doorway, though at the same time he was definately not walking through the wall. It was like it was all happening on the spot but this sense of great perspective, like he was approaching from a distance. He started small and as he walked he increased in size until he was normal height and then he stopped and just stood in the doorway looking in. His appaearance was an outline, not solid, but not misty either. A clear outline of a man, but translucent so I could see through him. He was about 5' 8", could have been anything from mid twenties to mid forties in age, his dress was bog standard working class 1920s-1950s fare, loose trousers quite high waisted, in colourless shirt sleeves, with either braces or a vest top over the shirt. He had short back and sides and light brown-mousy hair colour and was clean shaven. I felt a question clear as anything "Is she OK?" So overwhelming I had to answer "She's fine, it's OK" to reassure him. Then he faded away.

Third one, I was running up the staircase to retrieve something for my friend (can't even remember what) and he was stood at the top of the stairs. The same form, a clear outline but translucent so I could see through him. I stopped about halfway up and just stared back. I tried to move forward, in denial I suppose, just thinking I have to go up and get whatever I was getting, but I was frozen to the spot and couldn't move forward. Nothing threatening from him, I just couldn't bring myself to walk into/through him. After some moments I retreated downstairs and shamefacedly admitted I couldn't get up the stairs because he was stood at the top. My friends partner reacted in his usual belligerent way and charged up the stairs as if he was after a fight with him, storming around and shouting. He didn't see him, and neither could I any more.

Not long after, they moved and that was that.

As a footnote, towards the end of these events (and after I had seen him), a member of my extended family who, well, I would have to describe as a clairvoyant, though not publicly and never made a living/charged money for it. Just "gifted"? Why I take her seriously is because right through my lifetime she has come out with things over and over she had no independent means of knowing, things about my life and others in the family she knew nothing about etc etc. Anyway, she had been talking to my mother and said "What's this trouble (Eve) has been having with the man from the war?" My mother replied she had no idea what she was talking about (sceptic mother I had never told her any of this, and lived hundreds of miles from her at the time). She then said something along the lines of "there's a man around her who passed in WW2"

My views: I've had more than my share of weird experiences which some people might lump under 'hauntings' etc, but this is the only one I would describe as a ghost in any traditional sense of the word. I am sure this was a human being, someone who had died but not moved on. He was so human, so real, his presence and personality so clear. The way he was so interested and involved with the people in the house. Even a WW2 death would make sense - he was of fighting age and the chances are high it was traumatic and/or sudden and I was left with the impression he was still hanging out at his old home, somehow removed from a sense of time passing, because he didn't realise or couldn't accept he was dead.
I did do a check as best I could at records for the address at the local library (those quaint old pre google days) and there were 2 candidates of men living at the house of around the right age at the right time.

I did as a precaution ask for guides to come and try and help him. I also asked my relative to put a word in for him with the 'other side' as well. I still think of him sometimes and hope he's OK and moved on now.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13092
PostPosted: 06-03-2013 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating account, good thing the ghost seemed to be friendly and benevolent, aside from keeping you awake one night.
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13644
PostPosted: 07-03-2013 08:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I worked in hospitals and cere homes I collected lots of ghost stories and they're all on here, possibly scattered across several threads. In fact, one ended up in an FT paperback! Laughing
IlikepencilsOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 33
PostPosted: 23-04-2013 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went into a local bakery today to find the owner in a state, telling customers of how the shop bell (the old fashioned type on the counter with the push down top) rang itself early in the morning. "The front door was still locked and I was in the back room. I thought it must have fallen off the counter but it hadn't and there was nobody in the room! It was really forceful, like somebody really slamming their hand down hard on it" Shocked

I asked her if she'd had any other spooky experiences there. Apparently the back door had opened on one occasion, handle turning and all, only for nobody to enter and another shop assistant had felt as though somebody was standing right behind her when she had been making sandwiches in the back room.

I made a hasty exit!
jeff544Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 293
PostPosted: 26-04-2013 11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend of mine told me a long time ago about the house he grew up in. a large Victorian terraced. Their bathroom light switch was on the wall outside the bathroom which is fairly common in the UK, rather than fit a ceiling pull switch that is the only legal alternative.
What they did as a family to avoid disturbing others in the night with the light was to go in to the bathroom, almost shut the door behind them and flick the light on at the last moment with a hand outside the door before closing it.
Anyway one night his mother got up to go to the bathroom, but just as she was about to turn the light on in this manner her hand was pushed away from the switch. Shocked
There were other more minor things he mentioned which I forget now, But I would have literally shat myself if it were me that night.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13092
PostPosted: 26-04-2013 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeff544 wrote:
There were other more minor things he mentioned which I forget now, But I would have literally shat myself if it were me that night.

You'd have been in the right place for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: