Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Tesco's gonna get ya
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Conspiracy - general
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimv1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 3115
PostPosted: 01-06-2011 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the demise of my local music and DVD shop, I particularly enjoy Tesco's provision of all my World Cinema film needs. As bookshops close and Waterstone's is sold on, maybe FT could run reviews of Fortean movies and books that are only available through Tesco?

Mind you, my local WH Smith NEVER put FT in the same place twice. One month, you'll find it behind Nexus, the next it's behind a Doctor Who comic or poking out from behind True Detective.

And while I'm ranting, I grew to hate Smith's as they allowed some cold salesmen a spot just inside the shop hassling customers to buy phones and shit. And at the till. 'Do I want some cheap chocolate? No I came into a newsagents to buy a paper but you don't seem to stock them'.

I'm not going to make it to 2025 I reckon and I'll be pretty glad that I won't have to take advantage of their inevitable Soylent Green Value Funeral Plan.
MythopoeikaOffline
I am a meat popsicle
Total posts: 10452
PostPosted: 01-06-2011 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimv1 wrote:
I'm not going to make it to 2025 I reckon and I'll be pretty glad that I won't have to take advantage of their inevitable Soylent Green Value Funeral Plan.

What makes you say that? I'm sure life in 2025 will be wonderful.

...Actually, no, I'm not so sure now. Sad
MythopoeikaOffline
I am a meat popsicle
PostPosted: 01-06-2011 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I popped into Tescos on my way back from work today.
I went to look for some Chinese chilli sauce that I particularly like (Flying Goose brand).
I've been waiting several weeks for them to restock after running out. Again, today I was frustrated - no sauce, but an 'Out of Stock' sign was still there. I asked an assistant for help, and she went off to look it up.
The assistant said there was no 'forward purchasing plan' for that line. Basically, they'd got some in to see how it had sold, then decided not to restock after selling off all stock. Obviously, it hadn't flown off the shelves as they would have liked.

Now I will have to find an Internet supplier that sells it.

With it being chilli sauce, I know the shops will always stock close equivalents - but I actually think this particular sauce is among the best I've ever tasted.

This is how it begins - the slide towards blandness and reduced choice. Eventually we will only be able to buy a few products in the supermarkets, because that's all they will stock. Remember supermarkets in Soviet Russia? That could happen here if we're not careful.
Quake42Offline
Warrior Princess
Total posts: 5758
PostPosted: 01-06-2011 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The assistant said there was no 'forward purchasing plan' for that line. Basically, they'd got some in to see how it had sold, then decided not to restock after selling off all stock.

[...]

This is how it begins - the slide towards blandness and reduced choice.

To be honest Mytho, there's nothing remotely sinister about that story. Nor is it peculiar to Teco or supermarkets in general.

It's simply how a market works. If not enough people buy a product then it will stop being made and/or sold. Products which are more popular will be made/stocked instead. Why would anyone do otherwise?
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25219
PostPosted: 02-06-2011 07:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

But when a big store makes a mistake, it can be a big one!

Tesco mistake leads to beer rush

An error which slashed the price of beer and cider led to a stampede of customers at a number of Tesco supermarkets in Scotland.
A deal offering three boxes of various alcoholic drinks for £20 was going through the tills at three for £11. Very Happy

Police were called to Tesco in Greenock after heavy congestion was reported in the car park as customers rushed to get the deal.
A spokesman for Tesco said the pricing error was quickly spotted.
He said till operators changed the prices manually until the system was corrected.

It is understood the offer was supposed to be "buy three boxes of beer and save £11".
Instead customers were able to purchase up to 45 small bottles of lager or 36 cans for £11. Twisted Evil

News of the error spread quickly from about 1900 BST, with many people posting messages on social networking sites.

There were also problems at a store at the Silverburn shopping centre in Glasgow and in Bellshill.
One customer said the situation was "bedlam" as people phoned their friends and some went home to change clothing to come back and buy more beer.

Twitter user Graham McKenzie tweeted: "Price glitch for beer has literally caused a stampede at the local Tesco. Tempers are flying in car park."
Rebecca Macdougall tweeted: "Was casually chatting to my dad about the beer situation at Tesco mention 3 crates for 11 quid and he sprints to the car."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-13621315

And I think it was Tesco, some while ago, that had an offer on bananas with extra loyalty points - one customer realised that this was an error, bought the whole stock, gave away most of the bananas, and still made a 'profit'!
MythopoeikaOffline
I am a meat popsicle
PostPosted: 02-06-2011 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quake42 wrote:
Quote:
The assistant said there was no 'forward purchasing plan' for that line. Basically, they'd got some in to see how it had sold, then decided not to restock after selling off all stock.

[...]

This is how it begins - the slide towards blandness and reduced choice.

To be honest Mytho, there's nothing remotely sinister about that story. Nor is it peculiar to Teco or supermarkets in general.

It's simply how a market works. If not enough people buy a product then it will stop being made and/or sold. Products which are more popular will be made/stocked instead. Why would anyone do otherwise?

Yes, yes, I hear what you say...but I think supermarkets can sometimes be too draconian in their policies. I guess that's why Tescos is doing so well - they actually don't care what it is they are selling, they only care if it sells at a prodigious rate.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 02-06-2011 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tesco used to sell Orchard Mill Cider, produced by Gaymers in Somerset (good cider country). But recently they seem to have replaced it with something called Crofters (same price and ABV) produced by a brewery in Birmingham!

I looked it up on the web:
Quote:
Aston Manor Brewery

Aston Manor Brewery is a brewery and beer bottling company in Aston, Birmingham, England. The company produces beer, cider and perry. It is the third largest cider company in the UK by market share, and the fourth largest in the world.
By 1998, Aston Manor was reporting profits of over £1million, with 70% of its sales being cider. However, because of a slump in the market and strong competition, by 2001 profits had fallen to £740,500.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aston_Manor_Brewery

Well, I'd never heard of it, but it sounds like a major player, even if apple orchards had never figured in my image of Birmingham! Wink

But then came a story of skullduggery to match anything from the crimes of the prohibition era:
Quote:
Industrial sabotage plot

In 2001, Michael Hancocks, a major shareholder (12% of the shares) whose family owns 44% of Aston Manor, organized a conspiracy to contaminate the cider products of the company's rival, H. P. Bulmer. He recruited a former Aston Manor employee, chemist Richard Gay, to produce a yeast that he planned to introduce into Bulmer's production line, recruited his daughter's partner, Paul Harris, to transport the contaminant, and paid a Bulmer's employee, Russell Jordan, £16,000 to introduce the contaminant. Jordan did not introduce the contaminant, but reported the plot to Bulmers and to the police, and the plot was foiled. If the plot had succeeded, anyone drinking the contaminated cider would have suffered diarrhoea and nausea.
Shocked

I never expected the label on a bottle of booze to lead to so much entertainment! Very Happy

Of course, I'm sure that all that hanky-panky is behind them now Tesco is selling their wares...
StormkhanOffline
Disturbingly familiar
Total posts: 5331
PostPosted: 02-06-2011 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

My one concern - not fear; that's too strong - is that any one retailer becomes so wealthy that they can dictate to the consumer what they buy, rather than they supply what the consumer wants.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 02-06-2011 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting to read the links in that Wiki piece - the beeb came up with a good headline:
Bad apple brewed cider plot Cool
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hereford/worcs/3131391.stm

I note that Crofters describes itself as Apple Cider - well, yes, who'd want to drink, say, pomegranate cider?
jimv1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 3115
PostPosted: 02-06-2011 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those with short memories, i suggest you look at (Dame) Shirley Porter, the former Conservative MP of Westminster and Tesco heiress who ran off to Israel after a political sleaze scandal involing gerrymandering and 'homes for votes'.
CarlosTheDJOffline
Dazed and confused for so long its not true
Total posts: 2235
PostPosted: 03-06-2011 06:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:
It's interesting to read the links in that Wiki piece - the beeb came up with a good headline:
Bad apple brewed cider plot Cool
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hereford/worcs/3131391.stm

I note that Crofters describes itself as Apple Cider - well, yes, who'd want to drink, say, pomegranate cider?

Pear cider is quite the modern drink for the modern lady to be drinking modernly nowadays.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 03-06-2011 07:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarlosTheDJ wrote:
rynner2 wrote:

Pear cider is quite the modern drink for the modern lady to be drinking modernly nowadays.

'Modern' ladies drank it way back before I even started boozing - but it was called Perry. (Remember Babycham - champagne perry?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babycham
I note it also comes from Shepton Mallet, Somerset, like Orchard Mill cider.)

Calling Perry 'Pear cider' is just dumbing down, and has resulted in the previously redundant term 'apple cider' being needed to distinguish the two.

What next? Grape wine? Sheep mutton? Pig Pork? Twisted Evil
Ronson8Offline
Things can only get better.
Total posts: 6300
PostPosted: 03-06-2011 08:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pig Pork as opposed to long Pork?
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 03-06-2011 08:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronson8 wrote:
Pig Pork as opposed to long Pork?

Are you thinking of Long Pig?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Pig
Ronson8Offline
Things can only get better.
Total posts: 6300
PostPosted: 03-06-2011 08:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only before it's cooked. Smile
http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Long_pork
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Conspiracy - general All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: