Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
The Hunter (Thylacine film adaptation)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - general
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2336
PostPosted: 28-07-2011 16:30    Post subject: The Hunter (Thylacine film adaptation) Reply with quote

I've put this here rather than Culture because I thought that, like me, many of the people who'd be most interested may not visit that forum very often.
Apologies if it's out of order.
Just come across this; http://www.firstshowing.net/2011/watch-teaser-trailer-for-aussie-film-the-hunter-with-willem-dafoe/
Via Cryptozooology.com. I was aware of the book but never fancied it, but looking around at the reviews that seems like a mistake now, it does sound like a good piece of writing. The book is by Julia Leigh.
lordmongroveOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1029
PostPosted: 28-07-2011 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the book a couple of years back but didn't get it, to my regret.
I bet we wo't see this at the pictures in the UK. All the good stuff never getsreleased here, like The Last Circus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGpM_HXiDfo

All we get it wit;ess hollywood painting by numbers crap with overpaied no talent dicks like bruce willis. There are loads of great films but you have to uy them from abroad and have a multi-region DVD player. Take the Godzila movies for example. They are all available in the USA and Europe but not the UK!
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 29-07-2011 12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Film Four is the best bet, that at least puts on something different every now and then, such as R point ( which was a bit crap admittedly) or The Host. Also BBC 4 or sometimes Sky Arts 2.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21349
PostPosted: 23-07-2012 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great performance by Willem Dafoe as the eponymous hunter who is hired to track down the last Tasmanian Tiger. But nothings that easy, you get hippies, eco-warriors, lumberjacks, a jealous farmer, a traumatised widow, cute kids and a jealous farmer. Plus beautiful countryside but more of the boggy, mountainy forest Irish/Scottish style, this is Tasmania after all. Well, ok, you don't get wallabies and wombats here, not that many anyway. See it!
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 23-07-2012 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I will but where? I can't find the bloody thing anywhere. Where did you get it?
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 23-07-2012 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldrover wrote:
Yeah I will but where? I can't find the bloody thing anywhere. Where did you get it?

Its on cinema release in Ireland at the moment, showing on two screens in Dublin.

Available here: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Hunter-Blu-ray/42735/
Sergeant_PluckOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 505
PostPosted: 24-07-2012 07:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually seen this.

The landscapes are great and the cinematography excellent, but I found the concept a big confused. It tried to be both a drama and an action movie, but ended up failing at both. Closer to an arthouse movie more than anything else.

Willem Defoe plays a (ex-army type) chap who is hired by some giant company to go and find a Thylacine. Up in the highlands of Tasmania, the house where he uses as a base camp is owned by a drug-addled woman and her son (or daughter, I forget which - I saw it about six months ago). So, that's the drama aspect. The woman's husband is missing because he too, went in search of the Tiger and never came back.

So, our hero goes off every day yomping in into the bondu, where he finds himself being hunted - for some reason.

The problem for me is that it is not immediately obvious what's going on. Why, for example, exactly are the biotech company desperate to get hold of a Tiger (this is not made clear until near the end), and why is someone after him too?

Out of five stars, it'd be a 2 star effort for me. Defore does well with what he's given, which isn't much, but the whole film is somewhat unfulfilling. There was an element of WTF all the way through. I'm surprised it hasn't had a UK general release though.
amyasleighOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 471
PostPosted: 25-07-2012 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I basically don't "do" films -- am a confirmed bookworm, who almost always finds the film a travesty of the book. However -- prompted by this thread -- I have just ordered a copy of the novel "The Hunter", from Amazon; available when I did so, at most an hour before time of my posting this, at total £5.65: purchase price plus postage and packing.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 25-07-2012 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get the book as well. The film was confusing in parts but Dafoe was being pursued because his employers feared he wasn't concentrating on the job. To say more about that would be a spoiler. Dafoe also discovers a high tech camera in the forest. Was it put there by his employers or another corporation?
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 25-07-2012 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Closer to an arthouse movie more than anything else.

Yeah that's what I was expecting.

Cheers ramonmercardo, it might soon be out over here then, I've a cousin whose got an ear to the ground about small releases like this and we've got a small cinema that tends to show them. This is the first film that could lure me into the pictures since Jurassic Park. Bloody hateful places that they are in my book.

If not I'll get it from that site.
lordmongroveOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 29-07-2012 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it at a local arthouse cinema and was very impresed. The Tazzy wolf itself only plays a small part in the film but its well animated.Very well acted and quite a good plot (except for some hokum about thylacine saliva being venomous). Very down beat though. I think the reality is brighter on many levels.

Old Rover, do you have any cinemas that are not parts of big chains were you live. This might be the best bet of seeing the film.
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 29-07-2012 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I do, but I've checked the guide for the foreseeable future and no sign. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get this on-line aren't I, I've got to see it soon.
lordmongroveOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 30-07-2012 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its well worth it.
lordmongroveOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 30-07-2012 12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way have you seenDying Breed? Its an imbred cannibal film set in Taz but it also has a cameo from the Tazzy wolf.
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 30-07-2012 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I haven't, I have heard of it though. It's about a thylacine expedition getting eaten isn't it?

As an aside I'm a bit wary of turning the TV on at the moment after having recently experienced 'Nazis at the Center of the Earth'. You couldn't watch it, but equally you had to keep flicking back over to see if it had got any worse, and fair play. Another home video lobotomy was 'Monster' not the one about Eileen Wurnos, but the rip off of 'Cloverfield'. It was on the Syfy channel, but it wasn't this-

http://www.tv.com/news/we-watched-it-for-you-syfys-bigfoot-caution-excellent-gifs-29038/

sort of Syfy original but as annoying in a completely different and unexpected way. Sort of like an exercise in just how cheaply you could make a found footage picture, made Paranormal activity, no actually made 'The Mapherson Tape' look like the Godfather.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - general All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: