Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Crop Circles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Earth Mysteries - the land
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25898
PostPosted: 12-07-2010 10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

coaly wrote:
I like how the paper says it's a 4 dimensional image! HAHA!
I wonder how much grass those people dancing, smoke!

I think the design might be related to a representation of a hypercube:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercube

(Lots of maths on that page, but also a mind-bending animation! Circle makers seem to like maths - Doug Bower and Dave Chorley my arse! Twisted Evil )

It's also related to the Necker Cube:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necker_Cube
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 19-08-2010 07:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long article, but I give it in full:

Crop circles: The mystery that keeps us going round in circles
Natural phenomenon, elaborate hoax – or a sign from God? The Wiltshire locals think they have the answer, says Clive Aslet .
Published: 7:00AM BST 19 Aug 2010

‘Look, there’s one with birds in it,” I say excitedly into my microphone. Only as the helicopter whirrs closer do I see that the specks of colour dotting the shape in the cornfield below are not avian, but human figures in rainwear. Perhaps it is an angel with fanning wings, perhaps it is a cup and ball on a stick; the form is certainly new. Like all crop circles, it appeared, without warning or explanation, during the night; suddenly, this very morning, it was there.

The sun may have only just burst from behind the rain clouds to rake the tableland of the Marlborough Downs, but the people who have come to see these elaborate patterns are oblivious to the damp: they’re lying down, head to head, their bodies radiating like the spokes of a wheel. The energies, I’m told, are still fresh. And we mustn’t knock the rain. This month’s bad weather has helped crop-circle aficionados by delaying the harvest.

Farmers in Wiltshire are wearily used to their corn being flattened into geometrical shapes. One of them has put an honesty box on top of an oil drum, in the hope that visitors will enable him to recoup some of the money he has lost from the crop. I notice that it is an old box. Crop circles are like truffles, mysterious but geographically specific, and they appear year after year.

We take off from a field near Alton Barnes, the centre of the phenomenon. Obviously the best vehicle for viewing crop circles would be a spaceship. But this helicopter, laid on as part of the Wiltshire Crop Circle Study Group’s summer conference, which took place last weekend, is the next best thing, whisking me into a magical space where Silbury Hill looks like a suet pudding on a plate, and you spy on the gardens of manor houses that are invisible from the road.

The pilot’s voice comes into my headphones. “There’s one in front of us, shaped like a necklace.” We bank over a landscape where the wheat fields are sheets of gold leaf. “The one to the left looks like a cross.” I have the feeling that we are circling a cropped head – the football player Aaron Lennon’s perhaps – with talismanic motifs shaved on to the scalp.

The archaeological features of this part of Britain are unique: only in southern England do you find white horses etched into hillsides, and there is no equivalent elsewhere to mysterious Silbury Hill. Crop circles are found in other parts of the globe, but not many. The 55 that have been spotted so far this year in Britain – mostly in Wessex – are more than half the total number observed throughout the world.

Today, the helicopter has been carrying people from all over Europe. Inspecting one of the circles on the ground – it looks far less decorative at eye level – I meet a couple of Dutch women. Dawn, who organises the flights for Fast Helicopters, says that they had some Norwegians last week, convinced the patterns were made by aliens. And what does she think? A diplomatic neutrality is adopted: flying crop-circle tours is good business.

To judge from the trade stands at the conference, crop circles occupy the same territory as leylines, shamanic drumming and the “global vibrational therapy”??of liquid crystals. Walking back from the tea tent, I see half a dozen people cautiously advancing with what I take to be cocktail sausages on long skewers held before them. They are would-be dowsers, learning the art of water divination.

Antoinette O’Connell from Ireland and Ana Vidal from Brazil speak about their experience of dragons, which manifested themselves quite suddenly to them, offering a means to heal the human race. “You don’t tell anybody you are working with dragons,” says O’Connell. “Your sanity could be questioned.” Cool

About a third of the conference delegates are healers. I don’t know of many places where you can have your aura cleaned, but this is one of them. The conference opens with a period of meditation conducted by Francine Blake, a French Canadian, who founded the study group in 1997.

If you were expecting attendees to be dressed like fans of Star Trek you’d be disappointed. There may be the occasional druidically long beard, but Blake is elegant and articulate. After years of study, her enthusiasm for the subject is undimmed. “It’s the most exciting thing on the planet,” she says during a break. “Science fiction for real.”

Soil samples from beneath the circles that have been sent off for analysis in the States have apparently revealed traces of silica, suggesting exposure to intense heat – yet for so short a time that the crop does not burn up. Nevertheless, the wheat itself appears to be changed. Plant grain from a crop circle and it will grow taller and stronger than control samples, she insists, as though genetically modified.

It is widely believed in the crop-circle community that the shapes appear fully made, in a flash of light that illuminates the whole valley. “We don’t know where the energy comes from,” says Blake.

Jay Goldner, a jolly Austrian with a ponytail, whose bravura presentation wins a standing ovation with wolf whistles, thinks he does. The corn shapes are coded messages from the Creator, “a keyhole through which we can look into another dimension”.

Ultimately, for reasons I did not quite follow but which have nothing to do with the London Olympics, he says they predict the Second Coming of Christ, expected to take place in 2012. Shocked

There is – whisper it if you dare – another possibility. Crop circles first appeared – or, as Blake would have it, were first noticed – in the Eighties. After a decade of speculation, during which it seemed that no human agency could be responsible for these miraculous designs, two men in their sixties stepped forward.Doug Bower and Dave Chorley claimed responsibility for a spectacular hoax, perpetrated not with sophisticated or extraterrestrial technology, but homespun equipment such as a plank and a length of rope. A baseball cap with a circle of wire attached to the visor provided a sight that could be aligned with an object on the horizon to keep the design steady. Case closed.

Well, not quite: certainly not to a community supported and reinforced by the internet and dedicated to finding alternative explanations. “We know that there are fakes,” says the study group’s bubbly administrator, Clare Oatley. “But as somebody said: ‘Just because a faker can copy a van Gogh, doesn’t mean that van Gogh didn’t exist.”’ Cool

Blake accepts that some crop circles are man-made, but they are very few. It simply takes too long. And when television crews and magazines try faking crop circles, they need ladders and lights. These things would be noticed, she says.

By the end of a morning, I find my resolute scepticism under strain. There are, I hear, people who camp out during the summer, hoping to spot a crop circle being formed. And yet, except for the person who started the flash of light theory, they never do. The designs are so complex, several individuals, surely, would have to team up to make these elaborate patterns. It may be that GPS, computers and infrared goggles have replaced the old baseball cap and bent wire, but how could so many crop circles be made so perfectly, each in a single night, without anyone being the wiser? Wouldn’t someone have spilt the beans after one too many pints in the pub?

Certainly, the pleasure of making the crop circles must be so secret and nerdy as to make computer hackers, virus-writers and graffiti taggers look normal. One can take another view (unless, perhaps, one is a cereal farmer). “I have absolutely no idea how they get there,” says Oatley. “I just like to enjoy them for the wonders that they are.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/7952650/Crop-circles-The-mystery-that-keeps-us-going-round-in-circles.html
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 21-08-2010 10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Britain goes crop circle crazy - and we have the pictures to prove it!
By Mail Online Reporter
Last updated at 4:48 PM on 20th August 2010

It's a matter of debate whether the August 'silly season' is a high point for crop circle reports because there's not much other news about, or whether the warm summer nights are the ideal time for alien visitors, mischievous time-travellers and tipsy students to exercise their craft.

All that we can say for certain is that there definitely seems to be a lot of it about.

A magnificent 300 foot long 'crop circle' that seems to depict the Holy Grail has appeared in mysterious circumstances in a field close to the Avebury stone circle in Wiltshire.
The crop formation was spotted at about 3 am by investigators who were watching the fields in the area hoping to catch the circle makers at work. The researchers, equipped with night vision glasses, were astonished to find the circle had appeared in a field they had been watching just an hour and a half earlier when they returned after checking other fields in the area.

The formation appears to represent the Holy Grail, a sacred object in many Christian traditions, most often identified with the cup used by Jesus at the Last Supper, and is supposed to possess miraculous powers.

Steve Alexander, a crop circle photographer for many years said 'This is the third formation this year to relate to Jesus Christ. Only last month two circles straddling the M4 appeared to represent the face of Jesus Christ on the Turin Shroud. There has also been a crop formation representing a crucifix close to the Avebury stone circle, which has been the centre of crop circle activity for many years now.'

The Holy Grail creation may be unsigned, but there's no doubting the provenance of our second example of crop art.
To mark the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain, Tom Pearcy has created this huge Spitfire maze using his own imagination and sheer talent.
At 1000 feet long it is the world's largest ever image of the iconic WW2 fighter, cut from over one million living maize plants.

etc...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1304790/Britain-goes-crop-circle-crazy--pictures-prove-it.html#ixzz0xEZRtEM8
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 21-08-2010 11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched for more on the Grail CC, but found this, also near Avebury recently:
http://www.cropcircleconnector.com/2010/aveburyavenue/comments.html

and this:

http://www.disclose.tv/forum/crop-circle-whitefield-hill-nr-woodsend-wiltshire-03-07-10-t28392-50.html
MoookstaOffline
Muppet
Total posts: 1732
PostPosted: 17-05-2011 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

In much the same way as "planking" has traveled the world, seems them young farmer's took a gap year out of Agricultural College and went to Java! Or those other two blokes. (Wonder if they bought the rope and 2 by 6 plank there or did it travel as luggage?)

The Jarkarta Globe has a nice picture of the crop circle.

Quote:

Another Crop Circle Discovered in Indonesia
Jakarta Globe May 16, 2011

A new crop circle has been reported by a group established to investigate UFO sightings in Indonesia.

Beta-UFO, set up in 1997, said the latest crop circle had appeared in a rice field in Cikarang, Bekasi, West Java.

“The locals didn’t know,” group member Julius Perdana told Detik.com on Monday. “We had to climb up a hill to see it [the crop circle] for ourselves.”

Julius said the crop circle was discovered three weeks ago but the group had only become aware of it on Sunday.

The news portal did not say how the group had been alerted to the find.

He said the crop circle — which fringe groups claim have extraterrestrial origins — was 90 meters long and 30 meters wide in some places and consisted of two circles topped with hexagons.

“There are no police lines or spectators,” Julius said.

He said the design differed from the previously discovered crop circle discovered in Sleman, Yogyakarta, but more closely resembled another discovered in Magelang, Central Java.

Beta-UFO had taken photos of the crop circle and would send them to researchers at Central Java’s Diponegoro University for further examination.

“We will wait for the researchers t0 say whether it is original or man-made,” Julius said.Beta-UFO, a community established in October 1997 to investigate UFO sightings in Indonesia, reported that a new crop circle has appeared in Cikarang, Bekasi, West Java.

“The locals didn't know. We had to climb up a hill to see it [the crop circle] by ourselves,” Julius Perdana, a member of the community told news portal Detik.com on Monday.

Beta-UFO learned about the crop circle on Sunday. After visiting the location, on a farm near Delta Mas housing complex in Cikarang, and talking to the land owner, the crop circle was first found three weeks ago.

According to Julius, the crop circle was 90 meters long and 30 meters wide. The land owner had cut several parts of the circle.

“There are no police lines or spectators,” Julius said, adding that the crop circle is different with the one previously found in Sleman, Yogyakarta but it resembled the one found in Magelang, Central Java. The circle in Bekasi consisted of two circles and a hexagon symbol on top of the circles.

Beta-UFO had taken photos of the circle and would send the photos to researchers at Central Java's Diponegoro University for further examination.

“We will wait what the researchers say whether it is original or man-made,” Julius said.

skinnyOffline
Roaring Fortean
Total posts: 564
PostPosted: 18-05-2011 09:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope they consult the genuine researchers, and not the man-made ones.

Very slow start to the Wessex season this year. Somebody needs to go get ET out of bed. Eeeeeeeliiiiioooooot!!
painy2Offline
Thar she blows
Total posts: 504
PostPosted: 27-07-2011 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been 10 in the last few days round Avebury and Alton barnes, I visited 5 of them today, seeing as I only down the road.

The craftsmanship inside the circles this year is poor.
Mal_ContentOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 763
PostPosted: 28-07-2011 09:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

a rather crass crop circle:

http://blog.southern.com/wp-content/user-uploads/2011/06/StonehengeW.Woods10cropcircle.jpg
CultjunkyOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1341
PostPosted: 28-07-2011 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

painy2 wrote:
There has been 10 in the last few days round Avebury and Alton barnes

Just in time for the school hols, mmmm?

I've whiled away a fair few hours in Honey Street, sat outside the pub with a pint of the black stuff or similar, watching the canal slowly glide by, green fields shimmering in a summer haze, thinking what a beautiful place it is, only to have that tranquillity blown apart by the enormous drone of a low flying helicopter taking some tourist type over to see the latest crop circle.
painy2Offline
Thar she blows
PostPosted: 28-07-2011 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cultjunky wrote:
painy2 wrote:
There has been 10 in the last few days round Avebury and Alton barnes

Just in time for the school hols, mmmm?

I've whiled away a fair few hours in Honey Street, sat outside the pub with a pint of the black stuff or similar, watching the canal slowly glide by, green fields shimmering in a summer haze, thinking what a beautiful place it is, only to have that tranquillity blown apart by the enormous drone of a low flying helicopter taking some tourist type over to see the latest crop circle.

I stopped at Honey street yesterday for a pint to see what all the latest "gossip" on it was, they were busy sticking up their new photos and marking their maps, then the helicopters started Rolling Eyes
CultjunkyOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1341
PostPosted: 29-07-2011 11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those pics go up very quickly. Wink
painy2Offline
Thar she blows
PostPosted: 29-07-2011 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cultjunky wrote:

The latest one got harvested straight away, and the Farmer was threatening to spray paint peoples cars who turned up.

Laughing Laughing
skinnyOffline
Roaring Fortean
Total posts: 564
PostPosted: 29-07-2011 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

painy2 wrote:
Cultjunky wrote:

The latest one got harvested straight away, and the Farmer was threatening to spray paint peoples cars who turned up.

Laughing Laughing

Didn't realise he'd cut it out already. Shame. It's spectacular.
http://www.cropcircleconnector.com/2011/rivar/rivar2011a.jpg
AMPHIARAUS
PostPosted: 29-07-2011 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

skinny wrote:

Didn't realise he'd cut it out already. Shame. It's spectacular.

Yes if your impressed with people with planks of wood relying on years of practice.

I'm not.
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 29-07-2011 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMPHIARAUS wrote:
Yes if your impressed with people with planks of wood relying on years of practice.

I'm not.

How do these 'plankers' avoid obliterating the tractor tracks?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Earth Mysteries - the land All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 23 of 25

Jump to: