Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Wiped from the face of the Earth
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AngelAliceOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 733
PostPosted: 08-01-2012 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crookshank wrote:
No - because they never existed and therefore there is nothing from them - only my memory pattern ... which faded almost instantly - it was like one minute I knew them the next.. I had no idea who they were and I only remember the connection.

Do you remember any of your 'lost' friends' names? (if so, they could possibly be checked).

Do you have continuity of memory through the event? I mean, do you remember a smooth sequence of getting up (or whatever), getting ready, picking up the phone...?

How did it feel as you transitioned into this reality? Was it like waking up? Were you disoriented, dizzy or confused?

And were you really dressed to go out?

Have you ever experienced any other odd shifts of consciousness? Any odd smells or feelings of detachment? Ever 'phased out' for a few moment while wide awake and going about your day?
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26272
PostPosted: 08-01-2012 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play cards once a fortnight, and for the last couple of months a guy I used to know quite well a few years ago has joined our group - or so I thought, until tonight. I thought his name was Gary, but from conversations overheard it seems his name is really Chris, and he's well known to some of our other regulars.

Which puzzles me - is he just someone who looks like the Gary I knew, and I misidentified him, or has reality jumped tracks somewhere? Confused
amarok2005Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 222
PostPosted: 09-01-2012 04:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to belittle the opening poster, but -- sometimes dreams can throw you for a loop. Maybe in every hundred dreams there's an "uber-dream" that one can't easily separate from reality.

When I was a kid, dreams were usually just another form of entertainment. (One of my favorites was, a crack opened in the playground at school, a big green dinosaur climbed out and trashed Hoover Elementary. Go to it!) One morning when I was about eight or nine, however, I got up, ate breakfast, went to school, spent long hours reading the lessons and listening to the teacher, walked home --

Then I woke up. It was morning, and indeed my mother woke me so I could go to school! I'd dreamt a whole dreary day at school! I was so adamant that I'd just come back from said institution that I all but refused to go again, because I was damn tired! But parents won, as usual.

I recall even checking the newspaper date -- nope, no missing day, or extra day, or however it would have worked. Apparently, rather than the usual cartoonish antics, my subconscious dished out a totally realistic entire school day.
CrookshankOffline
Not Even For Jimmy?
Total posts: 88
PostPosted: 09-01-2012 06:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you remember any of your 'lost' friends' names? (if so, they could possibly be checked).

Afraid not - they don't exist in this timeline - you wouldn't find them.

Do you have continuity of memory through the event? I mean, do you remember a smooth sequence of getting up (or whatever), getting ready, picking up the phone...?

Yes.

How did it feel as you transitioned into this reality? Was it like waking up? Were you disoriented, dizzy or confused?

It felt normal - no dizziness but a little confusion as to how come I thought these people existed.. it was quite strange.

And were you really dressed to go out? Yes

Have you ever experienced any other odd shifts of consciousness? Any odd smells or feelings of detachment? Ever 'phased out' for a few moment while wide awake and going about your day?[/quote]

I do tend to zone out now and again - I get easily tired is all.

Hello Amarok - just want to say something here - my experience would probably be classed as something medical - not disputing that at all, its just a strange thing and maybe if something like that did happen, what would the experience be like? I have no proof either way - its just a wierd experience - which I have thought about as being the result of a "dream" well a damn big one if you ask me. I know the difference between them.
ramonmercadoOnline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21549
PostPosted: 09-01-2012 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:
I play cards once a fortnight, and for the last couple of months a guy I used to know quite well a few years ago has joined our group - or so I thought, until tonight. I thought his name was Gary, but from conversations overheard it seems his name is really Chris, and he's well known to some of our other regulars.

Which puzzles me - is he just someone who looks like the Gary I knew, and I misidentified him, or has reality jumped tracks somewhere? Confused

Yep, you've slipped into a parallel universe. Funny, I seem to remember you being the Rear Admiral who lead the Task Force to the Falklands...
SHAYBARSABEOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1489
PostPosted: 09-01-2012 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:

Our church organist is named Gary, but I always think of him as Eric and have to remind myside. I don't think I've ever known an "Eric" who looked like him.

(He's good, too: excellent ragtime on the pipe organ.)
ghostkissedivoryOffline
Grey
Total posts: 27
PostPosted: 09-01-2012 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Thanks for sharing. I find your experience fascinating ... your theory of a distortion of the timeline caused by some "time travelling" phenomena is a mind f**k and though a conclusion I admitedly would not have immediately drawn, one I'm glad you pointed out nevertheless as it seems to make as much sense as anything, given the premise. The fact that you were actually dressed and ready to meet these people is just so compelling to me! For some reason I don't understand, how you describe your frame of mind when the experience took place compels me to (want to) interpret your experience as something manifested in your reality as opposed to "in your mind" ... but equally as odd, it seemed almost like an inherently familiar experience that I was finally reminded of while reading through the thread, though as far as I know, I've NEVER experienced anything even remotely similar. It was as if I just remembered or had finally come to the realization that such glitches in our reality take place on a regular basis and our brain phases their memory out as way of cleaning up afterwards, and we're typically not supposed to remember in order for reality to function with a semblence of sanity Shocked Or, it could be a case of over-caffeination and a bad case of 'The Mondays' lol
CrookshankOffline
Not Even For Jimmy?
PostPosted: 09-01-2012 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could have been anything - I had never experienced anything like it till then or since then. It was wierd.. and a bit disorientating.
HenryFortOffline
I am Seeking Rest for my Weary Heart
Total posts: 1091
PostPosted: 09-01-2012 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you say it happened a few times though ... or that there were related occurrences?
CrookshankOffline
Not Even For Jimmy?
PostPosted: 10-01-2012 00:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it was just that I'd be walking home from work and thought I would be seeing a special person at a familiar place.. or I'd pass a house and get a kind of memory echo or something of having been in there..

Yes I know it sounds like Deja Vu. Whatever the explanation there were q few of these experiences and i didn't count them.
SynchronousOffline
Dazed and confused
Total posts: 153
PostPosted: 10-01-2012 09:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in the build up to the 'event'.

For how long were you preparing yourself for going out? How long did the delusion (for lack of a better term) exist?
CrookshankOffline
Not Even For Jimmy?
PostPosted: 10-01-2012 10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synchronous wrote:
I'm interested in the build up to the 'event'.

For how long were you preparing yourself for going out? How long did the delusion (for lack of a better term) exist?

The funny thing is I don't know. As far as I can remember I was doing a perfectly ordinary thing - you know, bath, hair, make up..etc, spoke to my daughter, told her I was just going to see... at McDonalds - could't remember the persons name - looked at my phone expecting to know the number - only family numbers on there and a couple of friends.. then it was all disorientating.. couldn't really say how long it lasted to be honest.. daughter just laughed at me - it may have only lasted that day, I have no idea. You're right though it would probably be classed as a delusion - I just would have thought a delusion would have lasted longer - temporary delusion? Its wierd right?
SynchronousOffline
Dazed and confused
Total posts: 153
PostPosted: 10-01-2012 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very weird!

I don't know if at was a delusion, it just seemed an appropriate term as I typed.

Very odd indeed - I'd certainly be tempted by the alternative reality hypothesis if it happened to me, but I guess no-one would want to think of themselves as delusional.
dannycheveaux1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 105
PostPosted: 12-01-2012 10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds really weird and it must have been unnerving for you. It reminds me of a Richard Matheson short story, Disappearing Act - though I can't remember what the expanation at the end of it was!

cheers
Dan
CrookshankOffline
Not Even For Jimmy?
PostPosted: 12-01-2012 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well unless I really did shift realities somehow - it could have been something like Deja Vu or a temporary delusion or Petit mal fit or something - guess we'll never really know but it was a very strange experience indeed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: