Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Wiped from the face of the Earth
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HenryFortOffline
I am Seeking Rest for my Weary Heart
Total posts: 1091
PostPosted: 13-01-2012 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

... hypno-therapy ?
BeltaniaOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 59
PostPosted: 14-01-2012 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow. If I'd been you, I would have been heartbroken! I've spent several days 'missing' dearly loved friends I've met only in dreams. The last instance was an enormous fluffy dog who appeared to me minuted before waking, and whom I was absolutely besotted with. Maybe I'm just a big softie!

Your experience reminds me of a couple of 'brain blips' I've had in the past. Directly after each, I've felt like I had 'slipped out of time and space'. They tend to last a fraction of a second, but seem to involve my brain being bombarded with a far longer timespan's worth of imagery and 'knowledge'.

One of these happened when I was sitting calmly at my desk, when I was suddenly aware that I was, or had been at some point, sitting in front of a stage. There was the impression of a cacophony of noise and movement, all the actors turning their heads to the 'audience' as the curtains were drawn open. I also 'saw' the actors wearing lavish 18th century theatrical clothing. While it was happening, it all seemed so very commonplace. "Oh, of course", my mind seemed to say. Only when it had passed did I find myself sitting very still, staring into space with a puzzled expression.

Hope you're feeling ok after your experience!
bradargentOffline
Grey
Total posts: 3
PostPosted: 16-01-2012 09:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a problem with the Corpus Callosum - the bunch of stuff that lets each side of the brain communicate. When it fails (for a variety of reasons) your brain can just 'make stuff up' to fill in any blanks in you "memory".

Might pay to get it checked out.
HypermetropiaOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 116
PostPosted: 04-02-2012 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps our original poster was recalling a forgotten dream, as someone has already suggested? "It happened to me"!

In my twenties I once woke from a dream absolutely CONVINCED I had actually married someone in a registery office, a man I knew in reality, and had dated a few times. I lay there going over the details of the dream, they were so realistic. Difficult to put into words, but for the whole day I had a terrible uneasiness that somehow I had indeed married, and the dream was a recollection of the event.
It was all nonsense of course, but it was the waking anxiety that I found the most distressing.
DrStumpOffline
Grey
Total posts: 13
PostPosted: 08-02-2012 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crookshank wrote:
spoke to my daughter, told her I was just going to see... at McDonalds - could't remember the persons name - looked at my phone expecting to know the number - only family numbers on there and a couple of friends.

Did you go along to McDonalds just out of interest? I'd have gone along just in case someone there remembered me. In that position where you would have been questioning reality then would you not question whether the meeting was real but the numbers vanishing from your phone and your failure in memory was the faulty version?
decipheringscarsOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 499
PostPosted: 09-12-2013 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crookshank wrote:
The thing about time travel I suppose I'm trying to say is, that if someone was able to travel in time and interact with people from the past they could alter the timeline kind of like - if you were to go back into the past and kill someone, that could change how the new future pans out... you gt me?

[...] but think about it, what would it be like if someone did alter the past, how would we experience it? I think most of us would carry on and not notice - and I think some of us would notice especially if we really loved the people who disappeared... you see?

I would think that if someone altered the past, all of our pasts would be altered. The lives we've lived now would be replaced by a different timeline. E.g., say someone from today went back to when I was 3 and killed a family member of mine. Well, I'd grow up with that family member dead. Someone killed them when I was 3. I wouldn't live with that family member until 2013 and then they'd suddenly disappear and everyone would suddenly forget them. The timeline between when I was 3 till now would be replaced by the alternate one created by the time traveler, I would think.

Beltania wrote:
One of these happened when I was sitting calmly at my desk, when I was suddenly aware that I was, or had been at some point, sitting in front of a stage. There was the impression of a cacophony of noise and movement, all the actors turning their heads to the 'audience' as the curtains were drawn open. I also 'saw' the actors wearing lavish 18th century theatrical clothing. While it was happening, it all seemed so very commonplace. "Oh, of course", my mind seemed to say. Only when it had passed did I find myself sitting very still, staring into space with a puzzled expression.

Wouldn't that be a waking dream? I sometimes have those. Sometimes they don't last as long as the action in them would have taken - much like normal dreams, I guess. I found that taking Benadryl at night tends to encourage that for me - and read later that it is a known side effect. I guess it disrupts your sleep in some way that affects your brain the next day.

So I'd ask both you and the OP - could anything have disrupted your sleep - not waking you up, but just preventing you from getting a proper sleep cycle? Sometimes medications, stress, alcohol, or other factors can do that to you. Then you might be prone to a waking dream, or dream-like elements while you're awake, the next day.
Professor_PretoriusOffline
Grey
Total posts: 18
PostPosted: 10-12-2013 00:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading through this thread makes me wonder if it could account for people who have thought they knew me but I had never met them. When I was younger, in my late teens, it happened several times where someone I had just met would look at me and say "I know we've met before." I always felt this was rather scary, like a symptom of mental instability where I would completely forget a person I had met and spoken with. One time it was almost comical, the Missus took me to a seminar dealing with Art Therapy, and a couple of people came over and said "Doctor (so and so) !! So good to see you here at this seminar." When I greeted them and spoke with them, they seemed slightly uncomfortable, but didn't say anything about mistaking me for someone who looked like me. Once I was waiting for the Missus outside a Chinese restaurant and an attractive woman walked right up to me and said "Well ! here you are, and you look great, but you you didn't wear your cowboy boots like you said you would." She thought I was her date for the evening !! I was completely flustered. Now, looking back I wish I had asked her a few questions.
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9790
PostPosted: 10-12-2013 12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor_Pretorius wrote:
When I was younger, in my late teens, it happened several times where someone I had just met would look at me and say "I know we've met before."

Was it always a person of the opposite sex?

Pickup line, usually employed by women. Smile
Grey
PostPosted: 11-12-2013 03:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythopoeika wrote:
Professor_Pretorius wrote:
When I was younger, in my late teens, it happened several times where someone I had just met would look at me and say "I know we've met before."

Was it always a person of the opposite sex?

Pickup line, usually employed by women. Smile

No, I only wish that it had been !!! Quite the opposite, in fact. And it happened as recently as 2007 when I met a chap who thought we had met before.
I was just speculating that I have slipped, or the person asking had slipped from a universe next door.
(Had it been ladies saying that, I'd not be reporting the incident.)
MercuryCrestOffline
The Severed Head Of A
Total posts: 722
PostPosted: 18-05-2014 19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crookshank, you mention that you suddenly realized that you didn't have any of their numbers. Did you, previously, think that you did?

This is a fascinating story and I dislike seeing it buried back here on page 4 in IHTM, so may I gently suggest posting to Reddit's A Glitch In The Matrix thread?
Grey
PostPosted: 03-06-2014 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fond this page which describes Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. The symptoms can include hallucinations of a dreamy sort.
Or you have been zapped by the MIB.

http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/types-epilepsy-syndromes/temporal-lobe-epilepsy
Naughty_FelidOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 265
PostPosted: 04-06-2014 04:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cochise wrote:
I think I put in the 'minor strangenesses' thread about my odd visit to the dentist where the receptionist and hygenist were entirely different to the normal ones, the appointment system was different, and when I queried it the receptionist said that it had always been the way it is now and she'd been there for years.

I've since found the appointment card for the appointments on the system they never had with the hygenist who was never there (!). A slight glitch in the matrix maybe? Or just a brush off from the new receptionist?

Missed this. This sounds fascinating which page is it on? Have you shown the "new" dentist the "old" appointment card?

How can you describe this as minor strangeness? You might have actual proof of a glitch in the Matrix.
CochiseOffline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 1904
PostPosted: 04-06-2014 05:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dentist was the same one, it was the receptionist that was different.

The cynical answer would simply be that the receptionist couldn't be arsed to explain what changes had been made, alas. Or possibly that there was something embarrassing about the departure of the previous personnel they didn't want to go in to. So its not really proof of anything just something slightly odd.
Naughty_FelidOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 265
PostPosted: 04-06-2014 06:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cochise wrote:
The dentist was the same one, it was the receptionist that was different.

The cynical answer would simply be that the receptionist couldn't be arsed to explain what changes had been made, alas. Or possibly that there was something embarrassing about the departure of the previous personnel they didn't want to go in to. So its not really proof of anything just something slightly odd.

Go on though ask the receptionist!
XEPER_Offline
Yeti
Total posts: 40
PostPosted: 29-06-2014 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP kinda reminds me of Philip K. Dick when he said he'd went to the bathroom in his own house one day and tried to switch on the light using a pull-cord. It was an instinctive, normal reaction, one he'd performed thousands of times.
Then he realised that room didn't have a pull-cord, it had a normal wall switch.
Freaked him out, like he'd fallen from one reality with a pull-cord into a different one with a wall switch.
Anyone that's ever read his books will have an inkling of how he felt, as he was so good at creating that same feeling in the reader.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: