Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Wiped from the face of the Earth
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarlosTheDJOnline
Dazed and confused for so long its not true
Total posts: 1974
PostPosted: 29-06-2014 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a door where I work which seems to swap from 'push' to 'pull'.

I've used it at least twice a day for over three years and I still get it wrong sometimes. The thing is, you can tell that everyone else has the same issue....nobody ever just confidently strolls through it, there's always at least a pause.
PeteByrdieOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 349
PostPosted: 30-06-2014 06:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarlosTheDJ wrote:

I've used it at least twice a day for over three years and I still get it wrong sometimes. The thing is, you can tell that everyone else has the same issue....nobody ever just confidently strolls through it, there's always at least a pause.

I've encountered such doors. The one I most remember was at a rock club I used to go to at least twice a week.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21446
PostPosted: 30-06-2014 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeteByrdie wrote:
CarlosTheDJ wrote:

I've encountered such doors. The one I most remember was at a rock club I used to go to at least twice a week.

I waas always flummoxed by a door with lift on it. Never managed to do that.
IlikepencilsOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 33
PostPosted: 09-07-2014 22:17    Post subject: Missing lesson Reply with quote

I remember a strange thing happening to me at school. I came out of a lesson one day absolutely convinced there was another lesson straight after it. I remember walking down the stairs feeling dazed and confused as my friends talked of heading out to the yard and then felt positively panicky on seeing streams of students leaving the building and walking across the field. Why wasn't anybody in the school staying for the next lesson? It was, in fact, lunch time. After a few horrible minutes I just accepted it with relief and assumed I'd probably mixed up my days or something, but I've never experienced anything like it again.
lone_concertinaOffline
"Yes, Mary, I found a human skull."
Total posts: 19
PostPosted: 09-10-2014 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until I read this thread, I didn't realise that this had "Happened to me!" but I have a somewhat similar story...

I belong to a group of six or so friends, who by association, are connected to another group of friends of an equal number. We see each other at parties, but don't mix such a lot beyond the usual pleasantries. Even after meeting this other group on several occasions, my partner and our mutual friend didn't know their names terribly well.

At one of these parties we were told that "Ralph" would be joining us after work. It got late and the three of us (as we discussed after the event) wondered where the person we thought was Ralph was. Later in the evening someone addressed one of the chaps already there as "Ralph", much to our surprise! On the way home the three of us admitted that we hadn't realised that was Ralph and that we all felt there was someone missing, someone we had mistakenly assumed was Ralph at a previous gathering. So, who were we all waiting for?

We've been to numerous parties with these other people since, and even discussed our confusion with the larger group, but there is no other friend who is unaccounted for, no acquaintance who only appeared the once. There really wasn't anyone else it could have been, because the Ralph we imagined was an integral figure in the group, not a hanger-on, but a close friend of those present! I honestly remember seeing him pop up on social media and the like!

We've taken to calling this missing person "Other Ralph" and have been quite amused by the whole situation. Until today, that is! After reading this thread I realise that my feelings mirror the OP's quite closely! I feel confused and disoriented by the whole experience. After finding this thread I sent a text to my (luckily!) Fortean friend, who is at the center of the "Other Ralph" phenomena, and whilst he doesn't feel that it's anything paranormal, he admits that he has trouble thinking about or concentrating on Other Ralph and that described my experience exactly! It's like something I can't quite grasp, something intangible. I don't know. It really does feel like someone blinked out of existence. I feel like I knew what this person looked like, but that the memory's disappeared somehow! The oddest thing.

I realise this is easily explained away as social confusion amongst a group of people I didn't know particularly well (which I'm sure is the actual explanation). But for three of us all to have a vague awareness of Other Ralph strikes me as slightly odd, especially coupled with the slightly dizzying emotions that go along with it, after reading this thread!

Make of it what you will! Just thought I'd share as the case seemed somewhat similar! Other Ralph will live on forever in our hearts! Razz

Last edited by lone_concertina on 09-10-2014 23:10; edited 1 time in total
FrideswideOffline
Very Trying
Total posts: 388
PostPosted: 09-10-2014 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

brilliant post! Very Happy

*shivers at the thought that it could be any of us that flickers out*
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9668
PostPosted: 09-10-2014 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating!
Do people wink in or out of existence, as in (a) a virtual reality, (b) constantly-changing timezones or alternate realities, (c) alien abduction & editing of everyone's memories or (d) other dodgy explanation?
Also...the nature of memory is very subjective and personal. Different people often have very different recollections of events, for example.
MercuryCrestOffline
The Severed Head Of A
Total posts: 714
PostPosted: 09-10-2014 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

lone_concertina: There are actually a few Reddit posts in the larger "Glitch in the Matrix" thread that sound eerily similar to your account. You might wish to pop in on there and share your story.
garrick92Online
Invisible Flaneur
Total posts: 1356
PostPosted: 18-10-2014 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

XEPER_ wrote:
The OP kinda reminds me of Philip K. Dick when he said he'd went to the bathroom in his own house one day and tried to switch on the light using a pull-cord. It was an instinctive, normal reaction, one he'd performed thousands of times.
Then he realised that room didn't have a pull-cord, it had a normal wall switch.
Freaked him out, like he'd fallen from one reality with a pull-cord into a different one with a wall switch.
Anyone that's ever read his books will have an inkling of how he felt, as he was so good at creating that same feeling in the reader.

That's fascinating. I've had exactly parallel experiences -- something fundamental and incontrovertible about my existence has suddenly changed and left me with a niggling feeling that I've slipped into a parallel Everett-Wheeler universe in which this is one of the 'differences'. It didn't freak me out so much as really, REALLY puzzle me.

It's happened about three times in the last five years, the most recent occasion being around May this year (I remember because of something else that was going on) but on each occasion I have failed to make a note of what it was that had 'changed' and gradually the memory has faded, although the awareness of the experience has not (IYSWIM). If it ever happens again, I'll make a note of it.
bunnymousekittOffline
rabbity mousey cat-like thing
Total posts: 329
PostPosted: 19-10-2014 08:58    Post subject: Re: Missing lesson Reply with quote

Ilikepencils wrote:
I remember a strange thing happening to me at school. I came out of a lesson one day absolutely convinced there was another lesson straight after it. I remember walking down the stairs feeling dazed and confused as my friends talked of heading out to the yard and then felt positively panicky on seeing streams of students leaving the building and walking across the field. Why wasn't anybody in the school staying for the next lesson? It was, in fact, lunch time. After a few horrible minutes I just accepted it with relief and assumed I'd probably mixed up my days or something, but I've never experienced anything like it again.

I had a similar experience to this - it was the first time I used the phrase "David Lynch moment" to describe some bit of oddness that happened in the course of daily life...

It was when I was working at a shopping center and it was time for lunch break. I left the shop through the front door (like usual), turned right (like usual) and headed toward the food court, like I did every day. Then, suddenly, I was lost. It was bizarre, as if reality had shifted sideways for a moment and I was no longer sure of where I was or where I was going. It took a few minutes to reorient myself.

I don't think it was a seizure as I was conscious the whole time and it didn't last that long. But it was a strange enough experience that has stuck in my memory all this time (this was in the 90's, so it's been a while). yes, leave it to me to get lost on a simple route I'd taken a hundred times before. Razz
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13647
PostPosted: 19-10-2014 10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've mentioned this before, possibly on a thread about Pan ('panics' being confusion caused by Pan, or something) so I'll try to find it.

Anyway, I had a job involving house calls and one day, after doing the same route for weeks and months, I forgot where I was. In fact I forgot everything and had to pull up and root through my bag to find out where I should be, what I was doing and even more or less who I was. Shocked

Worked it out in the end and got on with the job. Had no ill-effects and it's never happened since.

I've put it down to a brain-fart of some kind.
BelshazzarOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 36
PostPosted: 20-10-2014 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had experiences of not just realising people I thought I knew don't exist, but places as well. Let me explain - I'm one of these "Urban Explorers" i.e. I travel about taking photos inside derelict buildings, etc. I'm sure plenty of you have come across some of the many websites or photos that are on the web now.

Anyway, there is one building I have recurring dreams about - In fact, I dreamt about it again last night. It's a former asylum which is about to be redeveloped, but access has always eluded me. The thing is, it doesn't actually exist! Even now, fully awake, I feel like it's only just out of my minds grasp trying to remember exactly where it is, like when a word is on the tip of your tongue.
I think it's an amalgamation of various other places I've been, but I know it's not somewhere out there I've yet to discover as I'm aware of every remaining asylum in the UK and Ireland.

More interestingly, perhaps, is the various times I've imagined someone who doesn't exist. This also happens during my Urban Exploration "adventures". Very often I will hit the road with two others, and we can be away for 3 - 5 days at a time, often staying awake for long periods, and generally getting very little sleep. Quite often I will be sitting in the front passenger seat, and I'm sure that there's four of us. I can sense two people in the back of the car, and I know them well. However, when I try to concentrate on who both of them are, I realise that there's only three of us after all, and suddenly this fourth person ceases to exist. It's such a peculiar feeling, but it's happened to me many times now.

I think I read somewhere before (maybe on this board) that mountaineers/Arctic explorers and the like, often have these same types of hallucinations when fatigue sets in. They imagine people in their party who simply aren't there.
poozlerOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 186
PostPosted: 21-10-2014 04:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago (15+ years), I went back to my home town in another country for a visit, as I do every few years. My husband accompanied me, as he sometimes does, as he has friends there, too. I was particularly anxious to visit a really great shop in the eastern part of the city as I recalled it had really fantastic clothing and objets d'art. When we got to my home town, however, and I'd started looking around at the old streets and admiring the new buildings that had gone up since I'd last visited, I realised that the fantastic shop I'd remembered had never actually existed. I didn't realise it until when I walked through the area where I "knew" the wonderful shop was, that the streets were nothing like the ones in my remembrance of the shop or the neighbourhood. I don't know whether I had a dream that was so real that it had become part of my memory (do such things exist?), or whether it was just a bizarre fantasy that somehow intruded on my life.

This sort of things has happened to me twice before, both times in my late
childhood. I still have trouble thinking of these "memories" as anything except real memories, but I know they cannot be true because they were so ridiculous and unrealistic.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?
bunnymousekittOffline
rabbity mousey cat-like thing
Total posts: 329
PostPosted: 21-10-2014 08:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poozler - very interesting story, that. Can you think back and determine at what point this memory evolved? That is, can you think of a time before you "knew" this shop was there and a point after which you "knew" it was? It would be interesting to figure that out, IMO

I haven't had that exact experience, though I have had the exact opposite (going into a shop that was a replica of one I'd dreamed about).
The closest was probably a false memory I once had, in which I clearly recall being on a bus, reading a specific article, by a specific author, in a specific magazine. I remember the author's photo, the information in the article and even the shop where I'd bought the magazine. For 17 years, I'd had no reason to doubt any of it. Then I discovered it was false - all of it but the bus! There's a false memory thread around here somewhere - I'll write down the details if it's ever bumped to the top again.
CochiseOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1849
PostPosted: 21-10-2014 09:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one gets dreams that insinuate themselves into the memory unless you guard against it. I often dream about our house in America, but it isn't our house exactly - it has extra rooms and things. There is nothing freaky about the dreams that I can recall, but I can recall getting the exact feeling of unease in the dreams that people have described above in waking life.

I feel I have had the exact experience of having gone back to find places which it transpires are not there (and never were) but I can't remember specific instances, and I think I am either remembering dreams which I didn't wholly remember while awake, or my memory is filling in blanks.

As it happens, I'm currently doing some contract work about 5 miles from the office I was working when I met my wife, and I've tried (not terribly hard) to find said office, but it doesn't seem to be there although the pub we used to go to (and which I remember as being next door) certainly is. However, I'm getting no strange vibes and I think my memory is simply screwed Smile. I'm down there again next week - maybe I'll go for a better look.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: