Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Glitch in the Matrix thread at Reddit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18742
PostPosted: 18-09-2013 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny thing was that I suddenly remembered that story a day or so ago and I'd wanted to find it again. Thought I'd read it on here. Pehaps it stuck in my mind because it happened in Chester which I've often visited.
kamalktkOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 961
PostPosted: 19-09-2013 01:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

escargot1 wrote:
More b3ta creepiness -

Quote:
The Shadow Spectre

Shocked Well, I'd considered sleeping tonight... time for a few pots of coffee.
Soul_DoubtOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 30
PostPosted: 19-09-2013 07:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a great story. Reminds me of another archaeology / shadow one I've heard before (not as good but definitely "second hand" true!)

A lot of my friends and relatives are archaeologists. A close family member told me a story about how two workmen were finishing off a days work on a dig (it wasn't always qualified archaeologists who worked on digs, often there was only one or two with labourers or volunteers working under their direction).

They were under pressure to finish it off (even archaeologists have deadlines and budget constraints) so these two were working later than they ordinarily would. The sun was going down when they felt a sensation of sheer dread. This was in deepest Ulster countryside during the troubles and archaeologists and their digs were often the subject of scrutiny by various "interested parties" - both security force and paramilitary - ie a bunch of bearded men digging holes in the middle of nowhere often aroused suspicion. But these were hardened working men so they tried to shrug it off and keep going, but noticed that the shadows all round them were beginning to lengthen, and lengthen more than would be natural even with the sun going down.

When it got to the point where the shadows looked like they were moving and encircling them they downed tools and ran off to their van in sheer terror. The next morning they got a rollicking when the site director turned up to see that all the expensive equipment had been left out prone overnight when they told their experience. Then even the director made sure they finished it off before sunset!
escargot1Offline
PostPosted: 19-09-2013 07:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an outbreak of panic, or rather Panic - we have a thread on it somewhere. Very Happy

We need more first-hand (or second-hand, we're not fussy Very Happy ) spooky stories on here. Can't let b3ta and Reddit get away with'em all!

That's what Fort was all about: collecting and sharing people's weird stories and looking for patterns and explanations. Our MB should be a continuation of Fort's obsessive cuttings-clipping mission. Wink
Professor_PretoriusOffline
Grey
Total posts: 18
PostPosted: 10-10-2013 00:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been reading this thread and getting properly spooked. The Missus has been getting ready to go to a funeral for a friend of hers that just recently passed. She was on the phone with his widow and crying, talking about Bill. His widow mentioned that it was sad Bill died a month before his 74th Birthday. The Missus asked what day? The widow answered November 8th. The Missus started crying even more, that was her Mum's Birthday, who died one year ago. She then told the widow that she and I had just had a remembrance ceremony for her Mum on September 28th. Then the widow started crying loudly, that was the day Bill DIED.

They shared the same Birthday and same day for death, exactly one year apart. The only connection is my Missus. I'm worried for what may happen next year on September 28th.
SHAYBARSABEOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1538
PostPosted: 10-10-2013 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

escargot1 wrote:

We need more first-hand (or second-hand, we're not fussy Very Happy ) spooky stories on here. Can't let b3ta and Reddit get away with'em all!

I've been thinking about why reports are turning up on Reddit and not so much on ForteanTimes, and I think some (some--not all) of the difference is due to age. The people writing on Reddit are a much younger crowd. Many of the Reddit reports start with something like "Six years ago when I was in 8th grade" or "My mom and I were going shopping".
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 6272
PostPosted: 10-10-2013 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Shaybarsabe is spot on about the demographic. Young people are rather starved of narrative in their education but they have a hunger for it which we can never quite stamp out, however hard we try . . .

Unfortunately the vacuum is most likely to be filled with ready-mades. I have had standard-issue phantom hitch-hiker stories proffered as It-Happened-To-Me stories by students, who have not troubled to change even the names from their Internet source!

"But this happened in Pakistan!" is not really a guarantee of authenticity. The same lad told me the chief attraction of shopping there was the availability of all the bootleg DVDs. Rolling Eyes

I do wish we had some younger posters but I fear they hunger for more affirmation than we might be willing to give. We're just too weird! Smile
Soul_DoubtOffline
Yeti
PostPosted: 28-10-2013 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

A user on here called rasputin posted a link to a "creepy thread" on Digital Spy. 179 pages... hopefully it's decent:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1376448
Professor_PretoriusOffline
Grey
Total posts: 18
PostPosted: 30-10-2013 00:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

~Meh~
That digitalspy thread isn't near as good as the reddit one.
Soul_DoubtOffline
Yeti
PostPosted: 30-10-2013 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a new Reddit one:

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1pakqw/serious_what_is_the_strangestmost_paranormal/
Soul_DoubtOffline
Yeti
PostPosted: 19-01-2014 08:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was another good one on Reddit last week about law enforcement being called out to investigate paranormal events:

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1v18xl/police_officers_of_reddit_have_you_ever_been/
kamalktkOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 961
PostPosted: 01-02-2014 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing these were gathered from reddit. In any case they are in the same vein.
http://thoughtcatalog.com/michael-koh/2013/08/50-omg-stories-from-people-on-the-internet-that-will-definitely-make-your-heart-stop/
Fanari_LloydOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 134
PostPosted: 02-02-2014 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm guessing these were gathered from reddit. In any case they are in the same vein.

I desperately hope the one about the child and the oven is not true. That was extraordinarily shocking and upsetting. Sad
escargot1Offline
PostPosted: 02-02-2014 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would've been in the news all over the world if it had really happened. A bit like that fillum, The Fourth Kind, which was supposed to be based on real events. We'd have heard about that too if it were real. Wink

A lot of the spooky yarns on Reddit're made up, probably most of them. A large pinch of salt is called for. Laughing
Fanari_LloydOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 134
PostPosted: 02-02-2014 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That would've been in the news all over the world if it had really happened

True, Escargot. I tend to miss quite a lot of news, but it would have been hard to miss that.

The story of the woman tied to a tree and left there was horrible also. (And more believable, I suppose).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: