Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Bengali Road Ghost.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2290
PostPosted: 01-09-2012 19:47    Post subject: Bengali Road Ghost. Reply with quote

Came across this over on Doubtfulnews;

Quote:
Bengali literature and films are full of ghosts – those that live in marshlands, on tall trees, in old houses, in crematoriums, those that eat fish, eat human flesh, cruel ones and innocent ones, humourous ones and serious ones.

Now comes a flyover ghost, a totally novel apparition, the fear of which has been stalking numerous residents of Nagerbazar, one of the most crowded areas of Kolkata, after a young biker was killed on a flyover in an accident that took place in May within a month of chief minister Mamata Banerjee inaugurating the structure.

Rumours of a ghost – actually a male figure stopping cars and bikes on the flyover at late hours of the night – have spread like wild fire over the past few days in the area with people even shutting window panes in the neighbourhood despite the sultry weather to keep the spirit away.

Sreetama Bose a government employee who stays near Mrinalini Cinema Hall at one end of the flyover said, "I have heard about the strange things happening on the flyover from my relatives and friends. I am really scared. I have started avoiding the bridge even during day time."

Full article at;

http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-news/Kolkata/Paranormal-activity-on-Nagerbazar-flyover-alarms-people/Article1-922312.aspx

Also this section caught my eye;

Quote:
Not all such strange incidents are paranormal. Often criminals try to scare local residents so that they avoid a particular area, thereby helping criminal activity

I know this reminds me of something.

Also it's interesting to note that the night vision brigade have reached India.
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 6111
PostPosted: 01-09-2012 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

The comments on that page do tend to put an end to the idea that good English has fled to India! Confused

It's a new take on an old theme; the biggest roadghosts thread is here:

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1632

edit: Has instead of had in first sentence.

edit 2: Switched order to make it clear which page was meant.
Anome_Offline
Faceless Man
Total posts: 5486
PostPosted: 02-09-2012 09:15    Post subject: Re: Bengali Road Ghost. Reply with quote

oldrover wrote:

Quote:
Not all such strange incidents are paranormal. Often criminals try to scare local residents so that they avoid a particular area, thereby helping criminal activity

Every episode ever of Scooby Doo, perhaps?
MythopoeikaOnline
Boring petty conservative
Total posts: 10011
PostPosted: 02-09-2012 09:49    Post subject: Re: Bengali Road Ghost. Reply with quote

Anome_ wrote:
oldrover wrote:

Quote:

Every episode ever of Scooby Doo, perhaps?

Damn! You beat me to it! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: