Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Cryogenics
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> New Science
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Cryogenics, would you do it?
Yeah! Freeze me
33%
 33%  [ 11 ]
Just my head please
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
No way, just let me die
51%
 51%  [ 17 ]
oh I dunno
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 33

caroleaswasOffline
Diva Mentalis
Total posts: 4607
PostPosted: 27-09-2001 18:26    Post subject: Cryogenics Reply with quote

Supposing, when they defrost Walt Disney and his companions down at the Cryogenics Rest Home, they manage to bring them to life, what would be the result? Would we have the original deceased, miraculously brought back to life, or would it just be a zombie?

I personally believe in a human soul, some sort of essence of a person's being and personality; presumably this soul departs the body on the point of death, so I think any defrosted body would be just that, a body, the original personality would be somewhere else and not likely to return to its former 'container'. What does anyone else think?

Carole
Anonymous
PostPosted: 27-09-2001 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Uncle Walt will be recorded as having the longest Out of Body Experience ever. He'll probably recount the tunnel and the light, and then something he "can't quite remember"
Anonymous
PostPosted: 27-09-2001 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not believe that any of the people who have paid to be frozen after death will or can be reanimated. For the simple reason that they were already dead when they were frozen. Has anybody ever bought a frozen chicken back to life?
bagins_XOffline
Demi God?
Total posts: 141
PostPosted: 27-09-2001 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that that real trick is in the defrosting, however if you think of the human brain as a organic computer the human soul as the operating system and the mind as the application runingon that all, but with no "hard drive" if it gets shutdown(ie dies) then it looses all the data, if you manage to switch it back on there is probably not anything left to run.
Wm.
greenrdOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 106
PostPosted: 27-09-2001 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, medical understanding of death is far from complete. (Just think of the many cases of reanimated people, assumed dead, reported in FT and other places over the years.)

In fact, because organs rapidly "go bad" after the heart stops beating, the medical and legal definitions of death have been altered to refer to "brain death". It is legal to remove someone's organs while their heart is still beating (with prior permission) even though under normal circumstances (i.e. if they were not about to die anyway) that would effectively kill them.

It is a considerable irony that the equipment used to temporarily sustain vital functions of "brain dead" patients is referred to as "life support" equipment. Even though a brain dead patient is supposedly legally dead.
greenrdOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 106
PostPosted: 27-09-2001 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bagins - in a previous FT there was a reported case of a little boy being rescued from subzero temperatures and surviving. He actually thawed out and survived - without of course having his blood replaced with cryogenic replacement fluids - which is impossible according to current theories! Medics suggested that perhaps the freezing occurred extremely rapidly and this was why his body wasn't irreversibly damaged.
TheOriginalCujoOffline
Mean Mother
Total posts: 1894
PostPosted: 28-09-2001 02:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost every culture in the history of the world has funerial rites. I beleive that there is a reason for this beyond simply saying goodbye. What if it takes a while for the spirit to fully leave the body. I know a few people who believe that they have sensed the presence of the deceased for several days after death.

If this is the case then it my be possible to tie the spirit to the body by the act of freezing it. Perhaps the spirit leaves the body as the body decays.

What do you guys think?

Cujo
Anonymous
PostPosted: 28-09-2001 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't sound an entirely attractive prospect - being locked inside a freezer for the rest of Eternity. Rather take my chances out in the ether, I think.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 28-09-2001 12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would happen if you got reincarnated?

Would your soul get ripped out of its current host body and put back in your old one?
If so, would it have memories of your old/current life?

Also, what happens to your belongings? Are all the Disney shareholders suddenly going to find that Uncle Walt owns the company again and not them?
Anonymous
PostPosted: 28-09-2001 14:18    Post subject: Uncle Walt in Iceland Reply with quote

Quote:
Are all the Disney shareholders suddenly going to find that Uncle Walt owns the company again and not them?

No - because he didn't own it when he popped his clogs. There's something on snopes about this but appears to be down ATM so no URL I'm afraid.Sad
caroleaswasOffline
Diva Mentalis
Total posts: 4607
PostPosted: 28-09-2001 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cujo wrote:

What if it takes a while for the spirit to fully leave the body. I know a few people who believe that they have sensed the presence of the deceased for several days after death.

If this is the case then it my be possible to tie the spirit to the body by the act of freezing it. Perhaps the spirit leaves the body as the body decays.

What do you guys think?

Cujo

No, I don't feel comfortable with that idea. If you see the dead body of a person you've known, you can see that all that made them the person you knew and loved (the soul, call it what you will) has gone, what's left is like a waxwork, and empty shell. No, once a person has definitely died (ie everything has stopped functioning), I would have though there would be no point for the soul to stay in the body. What the situation is with 'brain-dead' people, who are being kept alive artificially, I couldn't be sure, but then I'm far from an expert.

Carole
Anonymous
PostPosted: 28-09-2001 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenrd the boy may of been frozen then defrosted but was he dead before it. I don't think so. I think the whole key to cyogenics is to freeze a person just before death. This brings up the whole ethics thing.

One time I wouldn't of minded being frozen. But I don't want to be brought back as the shell of who I am. Now if they could freze you just before you die then they could go right ahead. The time I would spend frozen would just be like my body is taking a long sleep. I keep my soul and when I come out of the freezer (pun intended) I would be me.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 28-09-2001 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch out for frost-bite 'round the extremities!

Very Happy
Ronson8Offline
Things can only get better.
Total posts: 6300
PostPosted: 15-03-2002 01:31    Post subject: Cryogenics. Reply with quote

The French courts have ruled that a couple who were frozen after their death must be buried, personally I think that was the correct decision, what do you think, the story is here

Last edited by Ronson8 on 15-03-2002 01:38; edited 1 time in total
ogopogo3Offline
Just a CabbageHead
Total posts: 1686
PostPosted: 15-03-2002 02:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, P.

Countless books and movies have taught us that tampering in God's domain is always a good thing.

Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> New Science All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: