Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Earthquakes
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> New Science
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harlequin2005Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 881
PostPosted: 15-06-2002 10:23    Post subject: Earthquakes Reply with quote

[Emp edit: A general purpose earthquake thread.

Threads dealing with more specific topics:

Bam:
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12536

Afghanistan:
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2529

Manchester Quake:
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5632

Animals predicitng earthquakes:
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19601

Earthquake prediction:
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12689

SE Asian qukae and tsunami:
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19588

Christmas/New Years earthquakes:
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19573

Andes earthquakes and UFOs:
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13532

Earthquakes and civilisations:
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3157

China's earthquake weapon:
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3289 ]

----------------
Earthquake Strikes Near Yucca Mountain

Site of proposed US Nuclear Waste dump...

Link

Original Text:-
Earthquake Strikes Near Yucca Mountain

LAS VEGAS, Nevada, June 14, 2002 (ENS) - An earthquake measuring 4.4 on the Richter Scale was recorded early this morning deep beneath the desert near the site chosen by the Bush administration for the nation's permanent high-level nuclear waste repository.

Department of Energy (DOE) officials reported no damage or injuries at the Yucca Mountain repository site, about 100 miles northwest of Las Vegas.

According to the U.S. Geological Survey, the quake's epicenter was located approximately 12 miles to the east of Yucca Mountain in what DOE officials say is "a known and studied geologic zone."

There was no damage to any Yucca Mountain Project facilities, structures or the underground Exploratory Studies Facilities, the DOE said. A public tour of Yucca Mountain will take place Saturday as scheduled.

A battle is going on in Congress and in the courts over whether Yucca Mountain is safe enough to store the nation's nuclear waste including spent nuclear fuel and Defense Department nuclear waste.

Most Nevada residents and Nevada elected officials of both political parties at all levels of government are opposed to the site on safety grounds.

Nevada Congresswoman Shelley Berkley, a Democrat, calls the earthquake "a wake-up call for the U.S. Senate," which will vote on whether to override Nevada's veto of the site later this summer.

"If anyone ever wondered about the wisdom of locating an underground radioactive dump site on an active fault line, this shows why," Berkley said today. "The Yucca Mountain project is inherently dangerous. The site was chosen based on political expediency, and not scientific merit."

"Not only does the proposed repository sit on a live fault line, but the area is known for volcanic activity and groundwater movement," Berkley said. "An earthquake disrupting a repository could not only cause a radioactive breach in its own right, but could open geologic fissures in the mountain, guiding rain and groundwater directly to the waste dump, and dramatically speeding the contamination of Western water tables.

The Bush administration and the nuclear industry say the radioactive waste will be safer transported to Yucca Mountain and stored there than if it remains at 103 nuclear plants and several Defense Department locations.

Energy Department officials hastened to assure the public that after 24 years of studies they are confident that Yucca Mountain could hold the readioactive waste safely, even in an earthquake.

"Yucca Mountain repository designs could withstand a local earthquake with 1,000 times more energy than the one reported this morning and a regional earthquake with 30,000 times more energy than the one reported this morning," the DOE said in a statement.

Citizen Alert, a Nevada anti-Yucca Mountain advocacy group, is not reassured. The group says earthquakes are just one more reason why Yucca Mountain is not safe enough to contain the nation's nuclear waste. "The area has a history of earthquakes, including one in 1932 that registered 7.1 on the Richter scale, the same magnitude as the San Francisco earthquake in 1989," the group points out.

In 1992, a magnitude 5.6 earthquake occurred in the same vicinity, releasing energy about 30 times greater than this morning's earthquake. DOE officials said the 1992 earthquake "did not even dislodge boulders located on the slopes of Yucca Mountain."

Copyright Environment News Service (ENS) 2002. All Rights Reserved.
DerekH16Offline
Puzzled by life
Total posts: 1035
PostPosted: 15-06-2002 11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the DoE are hoping that the ground will open up and swallow all that nasty radioactive stuff for them, saving on storage and/or recycling costs roll eyes (sarcastic)
Anonymous
PostPosted: 06-11-2002 02:41    Post subject: Quakes from Italy to Alaska Unrelated, Experts Say Reply with quote

As linked from Fortean Times:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=570&ncid=753&e=1&u=/nm/20021104/sc_nm/quake_world_dc

OSLO (Reuters) - Earthquakes (news - web sites) from Italy to Pakistan that have killed at least 48 people in the past week are unconnected and merely part of the planet's routine and often devastating rumblings, seismologists said on Monday...

The US Geological Survey begs to differ.

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/yvo/monitoring.html
Anonymous
PostPosted: 06-11-2002 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

That the Alaskan quake should affect Yellowstone isn't unusual. However I think the main point is that public attention has been drawn towards what is perceived to be a sudden - and worrying - increase in tectonic activity.

But if you start looking through the records you soon realise that there is absolutely nothing unusual happening, indeed this has been a fairly calm year tectonically compared to some years (for example, up to 3rd Nov this year there have been 12 quakes of mag 7+. This compares with 17 in the whole of last year and 23 in 1990).
Anonymous
PostPosted: 06-11-2002 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try explaining that to a Jehovah's Witness. Wink roll eyes (sarcastic)
ruffreadyOffline
Ruff says..
Total posts: 3329
PostPosted: 29-04-2003 15:11    Post subject: Damn!! it knock the banjo off my knee!! Reply with quote

EARTHQUAKE IN ALABAMA this morn http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/bulletin/neic_teak.html
Anonymous
PostPosted: 30-04-2003 13:49    Post subject: Earthquake - East Coast USA Reply with quote

Story

Quote:
Tremors of Trouble
Rare East Earthquakes Not as Lethal as the West Coast, But That Could Change

By Ned Potter

April 29 — It was 4:59 a.m. when people in seven states felt … something.

Actually, I thought it was like thunder rumbling or something," said a man in Georgia.
"And I'm like, God, what is going on?" said a woman in Alabama.

A newscaster in Chattanooga, Tenn., looked uncertainly at the ceiling lights and laughed.

"I think we're having an earthquake," he said.

An earthquake? In the southern Appalachians? Aren't they supposed to happen in California?

The U.S. Geological Survey confirms that the epicenter was near Fort Payne, Ala., right on the border with Georgia, and that the tremor measured 4.9 on the Richter scale. That's fairly mild, though it ties an Alabama record.

"Earthquakes do happen in the Eastern United States," said Harley Benz of the National Earthquake Information Center, run by the Geological Survey in Golden, Colo. He says they are rare, but when they do strike, they can spread 10 times farther than their California counterparts.

The New Madrid Fault

The strongest earthquakes ever in the continental United States did not happen in San Francisco or Los Angeles, but near New Madrid, Mo. A series of four violent quakes — enough to shift the course of the Mississippi River — struck from December 1811 to February 1812.

The New Madrid area (pronounced "New MAD-rid") was sparsely populated at the time. But geologists remark at how far the vibrations spread. The last and strongest one cracked buildings in Chicago, and did damage as far away as New York and Boston, 1,000 miles away.

"It was reported that it rang church bells in Charleston, South Carolina," said Benz.

Compare that to the 1994 Northridge earthquake near Los Angeles: billion damage all told, according to the California Office of Emergency Services — but it never reached the state line.

Old Eastern Rock

Why the difference? It has to do with the rock in the earth's crust beneath our feet.

In the east, the rock is older and more solid than in California. There are fault lines, but they tend to be deeper in the earth. The result is that vibrations are less frequent, but spread much more readily.

There is another implication: that America's Eastern cities, with their older buildings of brick and masonry, are not nearly as well prepared as California for a major earthquake.

Many of them have plans for hurricanes, and for terrorist attacks as well, but if the ground shifts, many of them face a small but real chance of disaster.

lopaka3Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2163
PostPosted: 30-04-2003 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should probably be merged:

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8993

The New Madrid is a geological curiosity, but really unlikely to affect anyone alive today. I live about 250 miles away and it'd be about 18th on my list of natural disasters that concern me.
inkedmagicladyOffline
Queen of the Universe
Total posts: 697
PostPosted: 23-12-2003 03:56    Post subject: Quake in Central California Reply with quote

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/12/23/QUAKE.TMP

Quote:
Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo County -- An earthquake of estimated 6.5 magnitude shook the central coast of California on Monday, rattling residents from San Francisco to Los Angeles and killing at least two people in Paso Robles when a 19th century building collapsed.

At least 40 people were injured when the temblor struck 7 miles northeast of the coastal hamlet of San Simeon at 11:16 a.m. Swarms of aftershocks followed approaching magnitude 5. "There is the continuing possibility of strong aftershocks in the region," said William Ellswarth, a spokesman for the U.S. Geological Service.

By far the worst damage was in Paso Robles, a town of 26,000 people on Highway 101 about 24 miles southeast of the epicenter. Two women, one 19 years old and the other 55, were crushed when the roof of the historic Acorn Building slid off the collapsing structure and crashed onto the sidewalk. Their names were not released.

Two other people were pulled alive from the rubble of the building, said Terry Minshull, a spokesman for the Paso Robles Fire Department. In all, 46 buildings were damaged in a five-square-block area of downtown, police said.

Police spokesman Bob Adams said no one was missing.

"This was a very violent earthquake, the worst we've ever felt," he said. "We're in a state of subdued shock."

The quake lasted more than 30 seconds and was felt 165 miles north in San Francisco, where it caused the 20-story federal courthouse to sway for about half a minute. In Los Angeles, about 185 miles away, the activity was reported as a sustained rolling motion. People in the Central Valley cities of Fresno and Bakersfield also reported feeling the motion.

Northern San Luis Obispo County took the brunt of the shaking. "Throughout the county, we have broken small natural gas lines and broken water lines," said Ron Alsop, county emergency services coordinator.

Main roadways, including Highway 101, remained open, but some side roads were closed because of landslides, Alsop said. Along the freeway, gas stations were closed for lack of electricity to run the pumps. Tourists were evacuated from Hearst Castle on the coast, but initial checks revealed no damage. The Diablo Canyon nuclear power plant, south of the epicenter, was unharmed and continued to operate.

The blacked-out gas stations were among 75,000 PG&E customers who lost power. By late afternoon, electricity had been restored to all but 23,000 customers, said PG&E spokesman Bill Roake.

At Twin Cities Community Hospital in Templeton, the closest hospital to the epicenter, 22 people were admitted with minor cuts and scratches, according to Paul Posmoga, the hospital's chief financial officer.

Been through a few of these. Friends say this one was more than they had experienced before. 30 seconds is a long time to keep shaking...by then you wonder if it is ever going to stop!
Anonymous
PostPosted: 23-12-2003 04:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in LA at the moment and I must admit to not feeling a thing but I can say that the coyotes were making an unusual amount of noise last night.
Maybe they sensed a preshock?
lopaka3Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2163
PostPosted: 23-12-2003 04:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be nice to hear from the California people on the board. Mothfox (I think) is quite close to the epicenter.

My brother was going to school in Santa Cruz (basically ground zero) during the Loma Prieta quake in '89. He was seriously spooked by it. As one can imagine.
inkedmagicladyOffline
Queen of the Universe
Total posts: 697
PostPosted: 23-12-2003 04:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked on the Whinge thread if FA had felt it....well FA, whichever you read first........

Fallen Angel, did you feel it?

Interesting about the coyotes. I have no doubt that animals know "something is up" before earthquakes.

I have some good '89 quake anecdotes, but I will save those for another time/thread. Smile

I wonder if anyone has measured the electromagnetic energy in the vicinity during/after a quake. I have experienced some odd feelings (irrational fear, feelings of a "presence" etc.) in the time following earthquakes.
PostPosted: 23-12-2003 08:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

inkedmagiclady wrote:

I wonder if anyone has measured the electromagnetic energy in the vicinity during/after a quake. I have experienced some odd feelings (irrational fear, feelings of a "presence" etc.) in the time following earthquakes.
Electromagnetic field effects and subsonics, IML. All that grinding and crushing as the fault settles down again.

You should keep an eye out for reports of the likes of ball lightning, UFO's and ghost sightings in the local press as well. Wink

Yes. If FA is out there, it's her duty as an FTMB'er to let us know she's okay! Smile
McAvennie_Offline
OBE
Total posts: 2816
PostPosted: 23-12-2003 08:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a quake in Japan during the World Cup in 2002. I'd never experienced one before and it was the most unusual thing ever!

I think the epicentre was somewhere north of Tokyo and I was asleep in my bed in my hotel in Yokohama so it is amazing to think how it would have been in the epicentre.

I was asleep anyway but then kind of hald asleep felt the bed shaking from side to side, eventually the shaking woke me and dazed I jumped from my bed thinking 'My bed was shaking!'. I got up just as it stopped and was stood there waiting for my bed to do it again, I thought I'd gone mad! Quakes didn't cross my mind. It freaked me out as I was imagining some ghostly little dwarf was in my room shakin the bed.

It was only when I got to the media centre that I found out it had been a quake. There was also an unbeleivable storm one night. The media centre was just a big exhibition hall with a metal roof and some sort of hailstone/rain combo was battering the hell out of it and unearthly thunder and lightning was going off. From inside I thought a nuke had been set off in the Asian subcontinent, was quite scary!
Mighty_EmperorOffline
Divine Wind
Total posts: 19943
PostPosted: 03-02-2005 04:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ecuador trembles after hundreds of tremors

Tuesday, February 1, 2005 Posted: 1943 GMT (0343 HKT)

QUITO, Ecuador (Reuters) -- Hundreds of tremors off the coast of Ecuador in the past 11 days have sparked fears that a bigger quake could strike soon.

"This isn't normal," the director of Geophysics Institute at the National Polytechnic School, Hugo Yepez, told Reuters on Monday, "This area is capable of producing big earthquakes. Very big earthquakes."

About 320 tremors of more than 4.0 on the Richter scale have shaken the Pacific Ocean off the port of Manta since January 20.

So far no one has been reported hurt but some small fishing villages have seen damages. An earthquake measured at 7.9 on the Richter scale battered the Pacific city of Guayaquil in 1942, although fragmentary reports from the time did not mention casualties.

The shape of Ecuador's coastline would prevent the formation of a tsunami like the one which smashed into parts of Asia in December, experts say.

-------------------
Copyright 2005 Reuters.

Source
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> New Science All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: