Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
The Yeti
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - manbeasts and mystery apes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin merge
PostPosted: 27-03-2002 20:07    Post subject: The Yeti Reply with quote

The Yeti,....I recently read a book called THE SEARCH FOR THE YETI, written by a mountaineer, who claimed that the enigma of the Abominable Snowman, the rarely sighted creature which roams inhospitable areas such as Tibet, was actually based upon sightings of the elusive and almost as monstrous CHEMO BEAR, a large, hairy creature of a ferocious nature which is able to run on two legs, stand over eight-feet high and swing its powerful arms by its side. Specimens have been caught and killed, and they look truly awesome, especially when on all fours like a gorilla, with a large mouth and blazing eyes, but could these creatures explain away the legend ? Is there more to it all with regards to some unknown ape-like creature which seems to stand between five and seven-feet high. For me, the Yeti legend will exist forever but until constant searches are mounted through the snows and dense woodlands, we'll never know. In its own elusive way, the Yeti may well destroy its own legend, because as we all know, when something cannot be explained, many people tend to dismiss it entirely.
tang-malow
PostPosted: 28-03-2002 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Tibet, according to some monks there are two creatures, one is a large bear known as the chemo bear which is more common than the yeti and has a distinct bear-like 4 toe print , there has been hair samples taken from skin that a monk had and it was proven to be from a unknown species of bear. There also is the other creature known as the Migur or more commonly the Yeti that lives in the mountain range. This creature is more elusive than the chemo bear and has a 5 toe print and is shaped more like a human footprint, the Tibetans have known about these creatures for years and they are even documented differently as separate animals, I remember seeing a program where an old monk showed a scroll which had the different pictures of the two creatures and the scroll was hundreds of years old. Although I have heard a lot of conflicting information about the Migur and the chemo bear. One monk said the Migur was a type of bear but not a bear which to me sounds like the chemo and then there was another monk that said the Migur is more human that bear. I guess well never know until one or both of them are caught or video taped. The whole bear theory does sound strikingly like the Mande Burung (Indian Bear Man) that was caught on video recently, the guy who filmed it said it looked like a bear but different and could walk on two legs. confused
If you had to ask I think that the bear creature and the yeti creature are two different creatures, they are confused a lot though and who can blame them for being confused? its not often you see an unknown species on the top of a mountain, I have heard people talk about there experience and it is definitely the chemo bear they have seen and then other people have a story that cant be explained by the chemo bear. I don’t think it is far fetched to think there is more than one unique species of animal that has either evolved in this climate or has been able to take refuge, if it’s possible for one then why not two? Also a lot of the bear/yeti sightings can be explained as when people see an animal they usually think "what other animal does it look like?" Who can remember the okapi being called a small giraffe? I do, although it looks nothing like a giraffe. Perhaps the reason why the yeti is sighted as being a bear is that there is no other creature to compare it to, and a bear is the only creature it comes near to. Yetis must be incredibly furry to withstand the cold so their appearance would be more of that of a bears than any ape; well that’s what I think anyways.
Oh and finally I also heard a story from a Tibetan that he witnessed a yeti and bear fighting on the top of a mountain and it ended with the yeti winning that would have been good to see.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 01-05-2002 12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of you probably saw the TV programme that was on about a year ago, about guys wandering round Bhutan to look for the yeti. They saw the famous 'yeti scalp', which seemed to come from a new type of bear, but also near the end an old hunter took them to a hollow tree he claimed was a real yeti's lair. They found hair on the tree, which, when taken back and genetically tested, seemed not to come from any known animal group, whether ape, bear or what have you.

I was fascinated by this, but haven't heard anything about it since. Has anyone else? Did the hair turn out to be a known animal after all? Have the full test results not come out yet? Surely this is the most important yeti evidence in ages - why hasn't more been written about it?

The story also appeared briefly elsewhere - http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_262696.html
Anonymous
PostPosted: 01-05-2002 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Tibetians there are several types of yeti.
One is ten feet tall whenon his hind legs though he prefers to go on all fours and is covered with shaggy hair. This sounds a lot like chemo bear. They prey on livestock. One type of yeti is 100 feet tall, lord of all yeti. One type of yeti has flaming eyes and teeth a3 feet long. The man eating yeti has a coconut shaped head.
A larger yeti can also eat 10 men with ease.

Interesting fact- female yetis are called yetini.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 01-05-2002 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

yetini--aww that sounds almost cute.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 01-05-2002 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes- they are supposed to play with children but savage any dog or livestock animal that approaches them.
evilsproutOffline
Demicabbage of darkness
Total posts: 1221
PostPosted: 01-05-2002 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

A so-called yeti scalp was doing the rounds a bit back, but turned out to be made out of the skin of a type of goat-antelope called a serow.
Justin_Anstey
Mutant alien
PostPosted: 01-05-2002 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about that other programme that said it, or the Chinese Wildman at least, might be a descendent of the gigantopithecus?
Anonymous
PostPosted: 02-05-2002 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

That scalp was a good counter argument. Many of the arguments seem to be about how these people "live in harmony with nature" and have accepted the yeti as a part of the fauna for hundreds of years. So if they can screw up like that, it doesn't lend much credibility to the rest of their stories.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 03-05-2002 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the chemo bear does exist, would it be larger than a Polar bear?
As people speculate that the Yeti/Bigfoot etc has been able to escape official detection due to terrain, and a sort of almost human intelligence, which enables it to hide. As far as i know bears don't display this ability, so how could an animal the size of a large bear, possibly even polar bear size remain undiscovered, as presumably the Himalayas were in the past as well travelled as the arctic.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 03-05-2002 14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasn't it also been reported to have been seen jumping around? Bears don't jump over gletcher cracks and such I think.
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 8567
PostPosted: 03-05-2002 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thylacine wrote:

if the chemo bear does exist, would it be larger than a Polar bear?
As people speculate that the Yeti/Bigfoot etc has been able to escape official detection due to terrain, and a sort of almost human intelligence, which enables it to hide. As far as i know bears don't display this ability, so how could an animal the size of a large bear, possibly even polar bear size remain undiscovered, as presumably the Himalayas were in the past as well travelled as the arctic.

I've seen it argued that because the Himalayas contain deep, uninhabited, forested valleys there could be ample space for whole tribes of cryptids to survive undiscovered - hence their relatively scarce sightings and footprints, cos the only times they venture onto the snowfields is to cross into other valleys. The arctic, on the other hand, is a bit flatter, and polar bears tend to remain closer to the coastline, as do indiginous humans, such as Eskimo, so Polar Bears are spotted relatively often.

Bear in mind pandas occupy similar terrain to the Himalayan valleys and were considered mythical (to Westerners) for years, as were gorillas: they were only found cos Europeans colonised Africa and were exploring intensively. As usual, in both cases the locals knew all about them. Tempting as it may be to dismiss local knowledge as folklore, strong and thriving local wisdom should be respected, IMHO.
Anonymous
PostPosted: 04-05-2002 07:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

But as the scalp showed, sometimes the noble and proud natives are just plain wrong.
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 8567
PostPosted: 04-05-2002 09:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xanatic wrote:

But as the scalp showed, sometimes the noble and proud natives are just plain wrong.

And sometimes they're absolutely right. These things have to be verified, of course, but to dismiss all local knowledge as just myth is as counter-productive as blindly believing it. I'm not sure what the demographic is like regarding Urban Legends in these sparsely populated regions (oxymoronic I know), but they don't have the internet/TV/local press to act as a catalyst, so when self sufficient, isolated communities all come out with a similar story, much of it within living or even current memory, there has to be something to it, surely.

The scalp was not a yeti one, fair enough. But bear in mind local guides are essential when on a cryptid hunt - the hairs collected recently in the Himalayas to which Karl Shuker referred would never have been found without local knowledge of good places to look.
tang-malow
PostPosted: 04-05-2002 10:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never heard of any scientific study been done on the scalp, the only opinion ive heard on it was by a debunker who went to the Himmys to disprove the myth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - manbeasts and mystery apes All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: