Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Board improvements or suggestions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Web site issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 10554
PostPosted: 11-11-2012 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I know it would be an improvement for anyone with more than about three pages of new posts to view: the point I was making though is that it would require a board-wide modification, and they have, traditionally, wreaked mayhem on the MB itself. Remember when we migrated and were offline for over a month? A lot of that was board-tweaking. I've got to balance making the search function more friendly for those who only log-on sporadically (a small minority - most log on at least two or three times a week) against taking the whole thing offline for potentially weeks - ok, equally it may not be, but I have to mitigate such risks. Think of it as one of those windows patches that then shags your entire OS and you get my drift.

As I said, I will consult with wiser heads than mine tech-wise, but unless it can be done quick, easy, risk-free and minimal down-time then sorry, no. If it's any consolation then there's modifications I'd like to see too (eg easy sub-forums), but they're equally risky, so I'm having to find compromises and work-arounds.
stunevilleOffline
Admin
PostPosted: 11-11-2012 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, you will notice there are now four Cryptozoology forums. Should make it easier to find, post and corral stuff - also, there will shortly be more ghosts, earth mysteries and conspiracy forums.

I'm not going to go mad, just give dedicated space to wider sub-topics with lots of discussion, which will also (hopefully) prevent smaller topics being swamped.
MercuryCrestOffline
The Severed Head Of A
Total posts: 891
PostPosted: 11-11-2012 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might seem like a meaningless question, but would Mothman be in Cryptozoology General, or the Man-Creature thread which sounds quite a bit like mostly sasquatch/bigfoot/yowie/Alma/Abominable Snowman/Wildman of the Serengeti/etc. type of stories? Very Happy

Honestly, I'm fascinated by "man-creatures", but I'm sick to death of the yetis and all their kin.
stunevilleOffline
Admin
PostPosted: 11-11-2012 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mothman will stay in General. Manbeasts is all about the hairy buggers - so you can now conveniently avoid them altogether Smile.
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2334
PostPosted: 11-11-2012 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally understand what sub forums mean now. I like it even the 'man beasts and mystery apes' somehow 'mystery apes' makes it sound like something from 'The London Illustrated News'.

So do I get this right you're going to have to trawl through the big old 'general' forum and re list any relevant entries into the new threads, and edit them so they make some sort of sense? If so I'll keep any little minor points about the quadruped forum to myself for a bit.
stunevilleOffline
Admin
PostPosted: 12-11-2012 06:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldrover wrote:
I finally understand what sub forums mean now. I like it even the 'man beasts and mystery apes' somehow 'mystery apes' makes it sound like something from 'The London Illustrated News'.

Yeah, does a bit, doesn't it Smile?

oldrover wrote:
So do I get this right you're going to have to trawl through the big old 'general' forum and re list any relevant entries into the new threads, and edit them so they make some sort of sense?

Yup, that's pretty much the size of it. It's all a bit "painting the Forth Bridge", and will take quite a while. We're doing more than one forum at once - once the new categories are set up Pietro, Jack and I will gradually chisel away at the elderly threads in the general forums and Fortean News and get them into the right forum / thread, merging when appropriate.

The advantage of merging on this kind of scale by the way is that as threads automatically sort themselves chronologically, if there are themes or big events they often present themselves as a large cohesive swathe in roughly the same place in a thread, making it easier to then split down again if it merits its own topic.

We're not just merging for the sake of it!
marionXXXOffline
Un-Gnoing
Total posts: 2969
PostPosted: 17-11-2012 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

The huge, long lists of stickies are really putting me off browsing the forums, are they really necessary? Also totally separate sections for the same subjects, I think a main section with child boards is better than making them separate, just very messy and tedious, I don't like it.
stunevilleOffline
Admin
PostPosted: 17-11-2012 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

marionXXX wrote:
The huge, long lists of stickies are really putting me off browsing the forums, are they really necessary?

As mentioned previously, only temporarily, whilst the reorganisation is going on.
marionXXX wrote:
Also totally separate sections for the same subjects, I think a main section with child boards is better than making them separate..

Also as mentioned previously, child boards / sub-forums aren't a goer on this version of the board, otherwise I'd have done it. This is the best compromise.
marionXXX wrote:
..very messy and tedious, I don't like it.

Oh well. Can't please everyone.
stunevilleOffline
Admin
PostPosted: 24-11-2012 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, one final new section idea, which I'm putting to the vote. Could we do with a Fortean Traveller section?

The poll will run for one week.
Waylander28Offline
Booga Boo!!!
Total posts: 271
PostPosted: 18-02-2013 11:51    Post subject: Future Proofing for Tablet users Reply with quote

As more and more people move to make use of tablet devices and mobile phones, to access internet, I think the Fortean Website could do with some attention to updates in this area. Basically most of the links available in the drop menus above, should also be available on the route of the page that is selected, when you hit the menu title button.

Basically if I want to get to the forum, a tablet user has to carefully hover their finger over the Community button, and hopefully open the drop down menu. and then if possible select the Message Board, first option in the drop down list. But more often than note, you are left clicking it going to the community page, but still having no link to the Message board, until you manage to achieve the almost impossible, the fine balance to click but not click the Community menu item, and have the drop down list open long enough to click Message Board. It can be quite a tedious process. And one which will infuriate most users. Some would go for some of the other Menu Items. All items in the drop down lists of each should be available on the route of the page also.
MercuryCrestOffline
The Severed Head Of A
Total posts: 891
PostPosted: 18-02-2013 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely and thoroughly agree with the above statement.

The only way I could access the forums on my tablet was to Google it, then bookmark the link.

EDIT: Oh, and I think that a Fortean Traveler section would be great.
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 10660
PostPosted: 18-02-2013 20:46    Post subject: Re: Future Proofing for Tablet users Reply with quote

Waylander28 wrote:
Basically if I want to get to the forum, a tablet user has to carefully hover their finger over the Community button, and hopefully open the drop down menu. and then if possible select the Message Board, first option in the drop down list. But more often than note, you are left clicking it going to the community page, but still having no link to the Message board, until you manage to achieve the almost impossible, the fine balance to click but not click the Community menu item, and have the drop down list open long enough to click Message Board. It can be quite a tedious process. And one which will infuriate most users. Some would go for some of the other Menu Items. All items in the drop down lists of each should be available on the route of the page also.

Yeah. The drop-down menu seems to have been deliberately engineered to be inaccessible. I guess the web designer was having a laugh.
stunevilleOffline
Admin
PostPosted: 20-02-2013 07:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it was just all designed before touch-screens were a thing on a big scale. I shall add it to the list. Don't hold your breath Hmph

MercuryCrest wrote:
Oh, and I think that a Fortean Traveler section would be great.

Jolly good. And as if by magic..The Fortean Traveller section. I thank you.
garrick92Offline
Invisible Flaneur
Total posts: 1023
PostPosted: 05-05-2013 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBA to read whole thread, so apologies if this has been mentioned before.

I come to the forums.

I go to post, and it reminds me that I'm not logged in.

I get the login page.

I enter my details.

Suddenly, I'm right back at the site's homepage, and have to navigate my way back to the forums.

Surely this could be fixed?

(I realise this probably comes under the heading 'First World Problems').
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14902
PostPosted: 06-05-2013 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try ticking the "Remember Me?" box. Or check your cookies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Web site issues All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: