Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
My Odd Reactions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Notes and Queries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoliathOffline
Grey
Total posts: 5
PostPosted: 28-10-2012 11:35    Post subject: My Odd Reactions Reply with quote

Over the past 10 years, I've witnessed a couple of strange events. I always thought if I saw something unexplainable, I would be excited and immediately spring into action, taking photos and recording every detail I could.

Strange thing is, each time this has happened, I've just looked, acknowledged it and moved on, as though it was something entirely normal. Its only been later, after the occurences that I've thought 'hang on - that was weird'.

I can only describe it as being as though someone has reached into my consciousness and temporarily switched off my curiousity, only to turn it back on afterwards. This is especially frustrating in the case of the last time it happened, since I was carrying a fully charged digital camera at the time - as I say, the strange change in my thinking meant I never even thought to use it. Maybe it was just too much for my brain to take in, but looking back, I really feel that how I reacted was extremely out of character.

Has anyone else encountered this change in attitude when confronted by something strange?

PS : Hope this post is in the right section, if not, could some passing Mod move it to somewhere more appropriate? Thanks!
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 10551
PostPosted: 28-10-2012 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, this is a good place for it Smile. The inaugaral post in a returning forum!

I don't think it is so odd as reactions go, no. Many people say, having encountered something utterly bizarre, that they just calmly acknowledged it, and only later started to feel uneasy or shocked or scared or whatever. Could be a self-preservation thing, like shock?
Dingo667Offline
I'm strange...but true
Total posts: 2000
PostPosted: 28-10-2012 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Often it is also the case that when something 'weird' happens you don't want to move or even blink, in case it all pops like a balloon.
When I had my ghostly experience, I still had the presence of mind do do some simple 'tests' of the situation [as we didn't have mobile phones yet]. I would have taken a picture if I'd had one. It lasted long enough. However I didn't.
Yet other times when something weird is either enfolding or happening, even getting excited about it makes it stop [especially mind strangeness].
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 6267
PostPosted: 28-10-2012 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we adapt very quickly to new circumstances. It takes about ten minutes to adjust to the custom of haggling in a foreign country, even if we are not the haggling type! Plunging into weirdsville, we just try to deal with it.

I have heard people say that they used to agonize about serious illness until they actually got one: the fear was replaced by the more practical conservation of energy to re-establish some kind of equilibreum.
Spudrick68Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1292
PostPosted: 28-10-2012 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I used to work at Brockhall Hospital (isn't there anymore) near Whalley. Four of us got a taxi one evening into Whalley down the small country backroad. The taxi driver was going rather fast and ended up crashing through a ditch and into the field.

He said sorry and managed to reverse back onto the lane. We all got out and said thanks like nothing had happened. It was only in the pub that someone asked why where we all so calm and why has no one mentioned it.

While not Fortean, it was out of the ordinary. Perhaps some part of our minds distracts us from thinking of the consequences of what we have witnessed (either physically or to our mindset).
GoliathOffline
Grey
Total posts: 5
PostPosted: 03-11-2012 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, folks, I agree that its probably just the mind refusing to accept what the eyes are telling it. Still, I'm determined to pounce into action with my camera next time something happens!
LymeswoldSnorkOffline
Grey
Total posts: 21
PostPosted: 16-11-2012 11:16    Post subject: Somebody Else's Problem Reply with quote

Isn't this unexpected lack of reaction due to an SEP field, as discovered by Douglas Adams (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somebody_Else's_Problem#Fiction)?
graylien
Great Old One
PostPosted: 16-11-2012 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goliath wrote:
Thanks for the replies, folks, I agree that its probably just the mind refusing to accept what the eyes are telling it. Still, I'm determined to pounce into action with my camera next time something happens!

This summer, a friend and I both saw what looked like a glowing oval orange object sailing slowly overhead as we sat in his back garden. We were both quite excited about it - my friend even called his partner out to see it. (She took one look, said "that's just a plane, you fool" and went back inside. And to be fair she was probably right.)

Anyhow, we both had mobile phones on us at the time and would have had plenty of time to take some snaps, but it just didn't occur to either of us. I totally kicked myself afterwards. On sober reflection, I dare say the mysterious object was nothing more than a plane with the sun glinting off it at an odd angle. But it would still have been nice to have a picture of it.
Fanari_LloydOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 134
PostPosted: 24-11-2012 11:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years back, my family and I saw a black triangle pass over the car. It was on a small road, late at night, with no other traffic about. We saw lights coming over the hill above, something big and slow moving, so my mother pulled in. We quite often went to air show, and my brother was very interest in aircraft, so we thought it would be exciting to see and hear something pass over us, despite the fact it was night.

This was winter, and a frosty, still night. My brother and I both got out of the car, and I could hear the small night sounds, like the crackle of an animal in the hedge, but other than that, there was silence. The stars were incredible, as there were no town lights, and this aircraft passed directly over us, huge and low, blotting out the stars - in complete silence. I remember there were lights at each point, large blue-white ones, but not so bright I had to shut my eyes. It went over, and we watched it as it headed over the vale, without a sound.
Our reaction was strange too. We got back in the car asking each other 'What the hell was that?' (I thought it might be a Vulcan bomber, as this was just before they were taken out of service, but I had seen a Vulcan, and knew the noise they made). We couldn't explain it, so all our curiosity just fizzled out. If you can't explain something, what do you do?

A long time after, I heard about black triangles, and wrote to Nick Pope. I also talked to other people who had seen them. I am half-convinced it's something military, but I've never yet seen anything so noiseless. But I think our 'What was that? I don't know. Oh, never mind then.' was due to the fact that if your mind comes up against a blank wall, there is nowhere for it to go, so it absorbs the experience, and you jog on with normal life. Even if we'd believed it was a 'real' UFO, where would that get us, because nothing happened. It was slightly anticlimactic. Confused
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25693
PostPosted: 24-11-2012 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fanari_Lloyd wrote:
Our reaction was strange too. We got back in the car asking each other 'What the hell was that?' (I thought it might be a Vulcan bomber, as this was just before they were taken out of service, but I had seen a Vulcan, and knew the noise they made). We couldn't explain it, so all our curiosity just fizzled out. If you can't explain something, what do you do?

Did you see the last part of my recent post on the Vulcan Bomber thread?
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1274038#1274038

(Apparently sometimes the pilots would shut down the engines and just glide!)
Fanari_LloydOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 134
PostPosted: 24-11-2012 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-you, Rynner! I wonder if it was a Vulcan? Weren't they taken out of service just after the Falklands? This sighting was just before, I think.

I did see one in daylight, years before that; it flew over our school and shook the building, so the silence was the thing that really threw us.
However, that area had quite a few air-bases back then, and flying an actual nuts-and-bold genuine UFO over there would be the equivalent of sticking up the middle finger.

Quote:
Although Paul believed the size was much larger than a Vulcan,
it's notoriously difficult to gauge perspective, especially
against the sky as a backdrop and at night.

Definitely true. It came low over the hill, so was not that high above us, and it did seem really enormous, but it's impossible to judge accurately.

Quote:
"A favourite trick of the Vulcan pilots was to reduce power and use its massive wing area to glide for some miles before applying
power again, to conserve fuel. It was not officially sanctioned and was never put on record as the public might have kicked up a
fuss (would you want a several tons of bomber gliding over your town!!)".

Shocked

Still, it was a sight, and our reactions were odd, but once you've exhausted asking: 'What was it?' to each other, there's not much else you can do.
ScribblesOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 84
PostPosted: 21-12-2012 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fanari_Lloyd wrote:
But I think our 'What was that? I don't know. Oh, never mind then.' was due to the fact that if your mind comes up against a blank wall, there is nowhere for it to go, so it absorbs the experience, and you jog on with normal life. Confused

I've come to the same conclusion over the minor poltergeist experiences I've had over the years. "That object could not have gotten there by itself. But there it is. Oh well."

I think for me I hit a blank wall because I never see the object move, I just hear a clink or something and discover object in a place it shouldnt be. Doesn't give me much to think about!
FinnFeltonOffline
Grey
Total posts: 3
PostPosted: 08-04-2013 05:15    Post subject: I think what it is! Reply with quote

After studying your situation, I have come into conclusion that it is nothing but a subconscious doubt (you can say, a starting stage of hallucination) in which a person thinks he just saw something, may be from a corner of his eye sight. This probably happens when you think that you're gonna see something unexplainable and there you go, you think you just saw something. I'm not a psychologist but I guessed I should post an answer.

Take care

Last edited by FinnFelton on 21-12-2013 10:13; edited 2 times in total
cece23Offline
Grey
Total posts: 15
PostPosted: 12-04-2013 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think when one encounters something out of the ordinary the mind simply goes into a state of denial because the event doesn't fit in with one's paradigm of the world.

The mind needs time to work out the most logical explanation, but later if that explanation is not forthcoming then one starts to think of alternatives which are not so logical. By then it's usually too late to to gather any "proof"in the way of photographs or whatever.
MercuryCrestOffline
The Severed Head Of A
Total posts: 891
PostPosted: 14-04-2013 06:40    Post subject: Re: I think what it is! Reply with quote

FinnFelton wrote:
After studying your situation, I have come into conclusion that it is nothing but a subconscious doubt (you can say, a starting stage of hallucination) in which a person thinks he just saw something, may be from a corner of his eye sight. This probably happens when you think that you're gonna see something unexplainable and there you go, you think you just saw something. I'm not a psychologist but I guessed I should post an answer.

Take care

The problem, as I see it, is that anyone can call that an answer, anytime, anywhere.

I mean, all I have to do is say that everyone, anywhere, who sees anything not predicted by [current] science is hallucinating.

I'm not against the theory, just its application.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Notes and Queries All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: