Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Informal survey of fortean interests..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Notes and Queries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SynchronousOffline
Dazed and confused
Total posts: 153
PostPosted: 30-12-2012 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. UFO's/ USO's/ UAP's - a
2. Ghost/ Spirit - a
3. Possesion/ Poltergeist - a
4. Psychic abilities, Prognostication and Telekinesis - a
5. Cryptids - b
7. Cryptids with or accompanied by supernatural phenomena - b

All scores above reflect interest, not particular beliefs/theories.

8. Vampires/ Werewolves/ Revenants - e - disinterest/scepticism, not dislike.
Anome_Offline
Faceless Man
Total posts: 4896
PostPosted: 30-12-2012 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, have more an interest in Fortean phenomena than a belief in any. My standard line is that I believe that most people who report Fortean experiences have experienced something, but that it may not be what they claim it to be. (Obviously, there are some people who make the whole thing up for some reason, even then their motivations can be of interest.)

So you could say I have an interest of a or b for the types of phenomena listed, and a belief of d or e. (I'm quite demanding when it comes to evidence, I suppose.)
Bigfoot73Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1109
PostPosted: 31-01-2013 13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

1-5 a/b.
Cryptids with accompanying supernatural phenomena are possibly possessed of non-supernatural faculties which have been interpreted as supernatural.

Vampire believers usually cite stories of similar monsters from cultures the world over, but on closer inspection they are not similar at all.

Werewolves are either folklore fiction or folkloric fictionalisation of memories of a past more widespread population of the Wisconsin Werewolf /Michigan Dogman cryptid e.g. the Quebec loup garou legend.
Revenants are just fiction.
MercuryCrestOffline
The Severed Head Of A
Total posts: 714
PostPosted: 31-01-2013 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I, too, have more an interest in Fortean phenomena than a belief in any. My standard line is that I believe that most people who report Fortean experiences have experienced something,

...My thoughts exactly.

And I would say that of particular interest to me are "window areas" and "imaginary" friends.
smokeheadOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 256
PostPosted: 16-02-2013 13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

My attitude is non judgemental, I celebrate human diversity, you may not learn anything about any of the subjects listed, but you can learn an awful lot about human beings.
My own belief is that the strangest place in the universe is between our ears, and so my position is one of benign scepticism,which always allows for the possibility of a paranormal event actually has happened,but is probably down to much more mundane,down to earth reasons.
I dislike those who never believe anything, it's best to keep an open mind, but not to believe everything you hear/read.
I believe a lot of paranormal events could be explained, if properly investigated.
I believe in Occams's Razor and that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
Having said all that, I'm a sucker for high strangeness, those often unique events that force you to believe it or not, Mothman, The Grinning Man, The Aston Venusian, things like that.
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13647
PostPosted: 16-02-2013 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely that the strangest place in the universe is between our ears Very Happy

Often, there are posts on here that make me think of TLE or even TIA. I've even pm'd people to suggest that they might pop along to the doctor.

(After thinking very carefully first, because here in the UK at least your driving licence can be suspended if there's a chance you have epilepsy or any other condition that might make driving dangerous.)

I personally love to read about ghosts and anything about The Afterlife but I still don't believe 99.9% of it.

That .1%, though, those things that happen that nobody can explain away, not even me… Very Happy
smokeheadOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 16-02-2013 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, it's that .1% that cannot be explained that keeps me wondering.
Events that have been properly investigated keep getting recycled in books without mentioning that a possible explanation has been put forward.
For me high strangeness events are interesting because they don't tend to follow an established paranormal narrative, and are often uncontaminated so to speak by cultural influences.
They also run counter to normal human behaviour, ok, a couple of kids might decide for a bit of fun to make up a story about seeing a strange being, but why grinning? growling maybe, some sort of threatening behaviour, that's what I would expect, but out of left field comes a being with a huge grin on it's face.
Genuinely strange, and intriguing.....
CochiseOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1852
PostPosted: 19-02-2013 07:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was waiting for an example of the kind of thing that keeps my interest , and one is topical at the moment - star jelly. Bizarre, unexplained, but with a long history of sightings and yet no-one seems able to obtain a properly accredited sample for testing. To paraphrase Esther Rantzen, 'That's Fortean!'

I'm not sure the one-off high strangeness stories are quite as good an example of 'dammed facts', but they fascinate me too - some of the things in IHTM you would have said are too peculiar to make up, and either they happened or there can be a much greater warping of human perception than we normally consider possible without drugs.
Human_84Offline
We wont hurt you human.
Total posts: 1242
PostPosted: 19-02-2013 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. UFO's/ USO's/ UAP's a
2. Ghost/ Spirit c
3. Possesion/ Poltergeist c
4. Psychic abilities, Prognostication and Telekinesis d
5. Cryptids a
7. Cryptids with or accompanied by supernatural phenomena c
8. Vampires/ Werewolves/ Revenants e

Cryptids take the cake for me. The idea that there could be a physical animal of sorts which is hyper rare.... it reminds me so much of buried treasure. It's out there, somewhere, and you've got a chance of uncovering it - which would be extremely rewarding - just as rewarding as buried treasure. Proving to the world that THAT CREATURE, that fairy tale beast that everyone was laughing about, was in fact real. Fascinating stuff, especially when you've got credible, recent sightings. Because of this, nothing is more interesting than cryptids IMO. Aliens/UFOs take a close second place, but your chances are slim to none when it comes to putting something undeniable on the table. Clever bastards!
jimv1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2921
PostPosted: 19-02-2013 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea that we think of a person just before they phone us but as to what really interests me...

Conspiracy/sleepwalking into a police state.
Out of this word/Extraterrestrial objects and planetary/lunar landscape anomalies.
Religion/The Jesus Myth
Cryptozoology/Really Colossal Squid or any giant animals like snakes and spiders.
smokeheadOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 20-02-2013 09:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Jelly had passed me by,so I had a quick look on wiki, the 1950 Pennsylvania case looks very interesting!
High strangeness indeed, various theories are put forward but nothing to explain a 6ft wide jelly Surprised
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13647
PostPosted: 20-02-2013 09:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimv1 wrote:

Conspiracy/sleepwalking into a police state.
Out of this word/Extraterrestrial objects and planetary/lunar landscape anomalies.
Religion/The Jesus Myth
Cryptozoology/Really Colossal Squid or any giant animals like snakes and spiders.

Heh, all those phenomena are the ones that turn me off! Laughing

I'm sure that some of my own interests are variously boring or just too farfetched to other people. Good job we're all different or the world'd be a dull place, eh. Laughing
Quake42Offline
Warrior Princess
Total posts: 5605
PostPosted: 20-02-2013 11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. UFO's/ USO's/ UAP's - d
2. Ghost/ Spirit - b
3. Possesion/ Poltergeist - b
4. Psychic abilities, Prognostication and Telekinesis - b
5. Cryptids - a
7. Cryptids with or accompanied by supernatural phenomena - a/b
8. Vampires/ Werewolves/ Revenants - c
CochiseOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1852
PostPosted: 21-02-2013 09:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokehead wrote:
Star Jelly had passed me by,so I had a quick look on wiki, the 1950 Pennsylvania case looks very interesting!
High strangeness indeed, various theories are put forward but nothing to explain a 6ft wide jelly Surprised

A big frog's spawn, apparently, if you ask some so-called experts! roll eyes (sarcastic)
MercuryCrestOffline
The Severed Head Of A
Total posts: 714
PostPosted: 21-02-2013 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I see a reference to falling globs of "stuff" I remember my introduction to the phenomena in Frank Herbert's Strange World.

The case in question was titled, "Police and the Purple Glob" and fascinated me for years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Notes and Queries All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: