Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
The Whinge Thread , resurrected
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14889
PostPosted: 27-10-2013 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that pumpkins, as a fruit, are regarded in the same way as vampires and werewolves in Glasgow.
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 6265
PostPosted: 27-10-2013 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked a woman in Tesco where she had found the spectacularly gruesome pumpkin head in her trolly.

Turned out to be her baby. Embarassed
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25678
PostPosted: 09-11-2013 10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning I have a dodgy internet connection. After just a few minutes online it goes down again. I think this is partly due to the heavy rain we had last night.

But on the bright side, the rain has washed the salt off the windows that the recent stormy weather blew well inland! Cool
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18736
PostPosted: 09-11-2013 10:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesWhitehead wrote:
I asked a woman in Tesco where she had found the spectacularly gruesome pumpkin head in her trolly.

My long-disappeared ex must have had his vasectomy reversed.
Tell me, did the woman carry a white stick?
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21023
PostPosted: 09-11-2013 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

escargot1 wrote:
JamesWhitehead wrote:

My long-disappeared ex must have had his vasectomy reversed.
Tell me, did the woman carry a white stick?

Long disappeared? Anyone check under the patio?
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 11-11-2013 22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:
This morning I have a dodgy internet connection. After just a few minutes online it goes down again. I think this is partly due to the heavy rain we had last night.

The problem lasted the w/e, until mid morning today. Since then I've been online continuously, albeit at a lower speed than normal.

Being without a dependable internet connection really cramped my style. I more or less gave up the Coastguard thread, and I couldn't use iPlayer for some R&R - I had to go and sit in front of a real telly instead!

I hope things will be back to normal tomorrow (weather permitting).
rjmrjmrjmOffline
Professional Surrealist
Total posts: 1486
PostPosted: 12-11-2013 00:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice bad internet when there is heavy rain and I live in a very built up area.
dreenessOffline
Teen Titans Forum TGNMemory
Total posts: 1191
PostPosted: 16-11-2013 06:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaagh!!

First, perhaps some background, to help explain the "Aaagh!!" of things.

Quote:
DC Nation is a group of shows and shorts based on DC Comics that air on Cartoon Network on Saturday morning. It premiered on March 3, 2012, and is produced by Warner Bros. Animation. Some of the shows in DC Nation include Green Lantern: The Animated Series and Young Justice (with Beware the Batman in 2013). On June 8, 2012, Cartoon Network announced that it would revive the original Teen Titans animated series as "Teen Titans Go!", based on the New Teen Titans "shorts", in 2013; episodes began airing in April of that year.

But

Green Lantern The Animated Series was cancelled, and people blamed "Teen Titans Go".

and

Young Justice was cancelled, and people blamed "Teen Titans Go".

and

Super Best Friends Forever was cancelled, and people blamed, well you can see where this is going.

But in spite of all this, in spite of the new "Teen Titans Go" series being essentially set up to be universally despised, it turned out that more than half the people who watched it didn't hate it. In fact, the first season of TTG has done reasonably well, all things considered. It's a simplified, broader version of the original Teen Titans animated series. The irony, angst, pathos, and subversive humour have been largely replaced with slapstick and madcap antics. But at least most people didn't hate it.

However...

As of October 24 2013, Beware The Batman has been placed on hiatus until next January, or possibly the end of time.

(Cartoon Network routinely uses the euphemism "hiatus" for things that have been essentially thrown into the wood-chipper.)

So, as of right now, the "DC Nation" program block on Cartoon Network consists basically of "Teen Titans Go", and more "Teen Titans Go".

This was not supposed to happen. The shiny new "Beware The Batman" was supposed to be the big gun of DC Nation, the anchor of the block, with the funny little "Teen Titans Go" just sort of tagging along for the ride. This is Batman we're talking about. You don't just yank Batman. But anyway, fans of Beware The Batman are of course blaming TTG. And yet another target has been stuck on the back of the bewildered Teen Titans fandom.

When asked for comment, the mopey and gormless "Nightwire" of Teen Titans Forum TGNMemory responded by shrieking "Aaaagh!!"

splat
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 19-12-2013 09:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once upon a time, in the good old days, threads on this message board were interesting debates, with different people giving their opinions on the subject in question.

But increasingly, nowadays, posts consist of just a link to some article, or - even worse - a link to some drivel posted on YouTube. And it's a well-known FACT that 91.4% of YouTube clips are a pointless waste of time and space! Evil or Very Mad

I learned to read early, even before I started school, and I like to read. A good thread on here is a joy, but when I encounter posts with stand-alone links, and no explanation of what they're about, my heart drops like a lead balloon. I don't want to spend half my life clicking through cyber space, in the usually vain hope that I will discover some delightful gem.

It's said that the internet is 're-wiring human brains', but my brain is too old and fossilised to be re-wired, and I want to continue debates in words (and, sometimes, for a bit of extra gravitas, maths! Twisted Evil ), rather than a blizzard of links.

But sometimes a link is essential, if it is to a well argued and well presented article. But in such a case, I maintain that it's disrespectful of the material to just give the bare-naked URL - a paragraph or two of introduction should tempt other posters into reading the linked article.

So, no bare-naked URLs, please, and my life would probably not be diminished if I never saw another YouTube video again - they are rarely as interesting or funny as some people seem to think.

[/rant]
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14889
PostPosted: 19-12-2013 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVCtkzIXYzQ
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
Total posts: 1673
PostPosted: 19-12-2013 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted Evil
SHAYBARSABEOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1533
PostPosted: 19-12-2013 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:

Not nice, gncxx, although funny. For goodness sake, rynner2 probably remembers WWII, so we should attempt to be polite. (Quoting a parent, here.)

That said, the generation of current 15-18 year olds is a lazy bunch--doing an Internet search is too hard they say. (Read in the NYTimes somewhere.) I've run into this problem when responding to reddit--teens who just can't be bothered to search on a topic when the means of searching is right under their fingers or in front of their faces.

What will the still younger people be like?
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 19-12-2013 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHAYBARSABE wrote:
gncxx wrote:

Not nice, gncxx, although funny.

In that case, I'm glad I stuck to my guns and didn't waste time viewing it! Twisted Evil

Which is the point of my whinge, really. I find I'm ignoring more and more stuff on here - the FTMB is not as interesting as it once was. Too many f*ckw*ts jumping up and down saying "Look at me!"

And no, I don't remember the war first-hand, but that doesn't mean impoliteness is allowed.

Last edited by rynner2 on 19-12-2013 20:41; edited 2 times in total
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 10635
PostPosted: 19-12-2013 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHAYBARSABE wrote:
What will the still younger people be like?

Jellies with walnut-sized brains at this rate.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21023
PostPosted: 20-12-2013 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:
SHAYBARSABE wrote:
gncxx wrote:

Not nice, gncxx, although funny.

In that case, I'm glad I stuck to my guns and didn't waste time viewing it! Twisted Evil

Which is the point of my whinge, really. I find I'm ignoring more and more stuff on here - the FTMB is not as interesting as it once was. Too many f*ckw*ts jumping up and down saying "Look at me!"

And no, I don't remember the war first-hand, but that doesn't mean impoliteness is allowed.

G'wan, youy were a powder monkey at Trafalgar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 19 of 29

Jump to: