Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
The Whinge Thread , resurrected
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21794
PostPosted: 20-12-2013 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll whinge now. Burst pipe flooded the gaff, UPC box, printer, laptop etc destroyed. The apt block mgt company got me a plumber & clan up crew. So I'll never complain about Service Charge again.

I don't have contents insurance so not sure what wiull be reimbursed from Mgt Cos insurance. Anyway they paid for plumber & cleaners.

New laptop now and place is habitable.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13231
PostPosted: 22-12-2013 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you get everything sorted out by Christmas, Ramon.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 22-12-2013 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
Hope you get everything sorted out by Christmas, Ramon.

Thanks. I got a new laptop & cable tv is reconnected. Printer etc can wait.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13231
PostPosted: 22-12-2013 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear it, TV and internet really are priorities in the modern world.
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 13729
PostPosted: 22-12-2013 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no Ramon, what a disaster. Hope you're all sorted soon.
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 22-12-2013 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

A real whinge for a change. Bad luck, R. Sad

Hope you have a good mid-Winter festivities, anyway. Smile
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 22-12-2013 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Place is habitable.
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26574
PostPosted: 06-01-2014 10:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, the dreary holday period is over, and life gets back to normal. I need shopping, and to renew two library books (one of which I haven't even started!)

I was all ready to go for the 10 o'clock bus, and even the weather was kind, with the rain holding off. But the ruddy bus never came! Evil or Very Mad SNAFU

Having time to kill, I decided to renew my books from home. But I'd lost the details for doing it online, so I tried the phone... You can guess what's coming. Robot voices, menus, yadda, yadda... Eventually I get to renewals, and another Robot wants the barcode number of my library card. There's only one number on it, so I start keying that in, only to be interrupted with "That number is not recognized..." AAGGGHHH!!! FFS!!
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 06-01-2014 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to the library on the next bus, only for the mind games to continue...

Went to the machine, selected account, was asked to put my card in the slot, selected Renew from all the options, and my two books showed upon the screen. So far, so good!

Selected both, and hit renew - my selections turned red, and a notice told me my card was out of date! FFS! Why couldn't it have said that when I first inserted the card?

So I had to go to the man on the counter, who sorted everything out in nanoseconds, despite me getting my address wrong and blathering on about the buses and the telephone, etc... Psychout

And it seems that the card being out of date is why the telephone robot didn't work, but, being of lower status than the Library robot, it couldn't actually tell me that... Evil or Very Mad

Pity I probably won't live long enough to encounter some really intelligent robots... Sad
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
PostPosted: 06-01-2014 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pity I probably won't live long enough to encounter some really intelligent robots... Sad

If you did they would probably kill you.
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 26-01-2014 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this is just a minor whinge:

My internet connection went down, halfway thorugh Desert Island Discs (Ben Ainslie). After a while the ADSL light on the Modem returned and seemed steady, but I couldn't reconnect - Remote Computer not Responding.

I suspect this is weather related, with all the trees down, and floods everywhere. I hope it'll sort itself out fairly soon - in the meantime I'm having to use this communal computer. (Happily I saved links to many of my favourites on here, for just this eventuality.)

There's not much point asking if others have lost their internet connection, but it would be interesting to know how widespread this is, later.
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 26-01-2014 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this is related?

Lloyds Banking Group customers hit by card problems

Lloyds Banking Group says it has fixed problems that affected Halifax, Lloyds, Bank of Scotland and TSB customers using ATMs and debit cards.
Lloyds is the largest retail bank group in the UK with 30 million customers.

The chief executive of TSB, Paul Pester, said its customers' debit card transactions had been affected after problems with two out of seven IT servers.
He tweeted an apology and replied to some comments personally.

In a statement, Lloyds Banking Group said: "We apologise that earlier today, between 3pm and 6pm, some customers were unable to complete their debit card transactions.

TSB chief Paul Pester took to Twitter to respond to customer complaints "Although the majority of transactions were unaffected, we are very sorry for the inconvenience that this will have caused.
"At the same time, some customers encountered problems at approximately half of our 7,000 ATMs. This was resolved by 7.30pm, and all of our ATMs are now working."

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25907000
rynner2Online
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 27-01-2014 07:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many new posts today, so I'm guessing others have had connection problems. My machine is up and running at the moment, but the weather is still foul, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
Total posts: 1997
PostPosted: 27-01-2014 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

BT just keep getting worse and worse, I won't deal with them ever again for myself but as work use them I'm required to sometimes.

I take back some of the things I've said about the dreaded Indian Call Centres after dealing with the VOIP Team who are in this country and simply quite mind-bogglingly rude.

Today I was speaking to a young guy (non VOIP Team) about changing our tariff/plan, so I'm on the phone with him for about 20 miutes, we get it all agreed and then at the last minute he tells me that there's a minimum monthly payment (English translation: If we left the contract they could bill us for most of the line rental of 2 lines for the remainder of 2 years).

So I say I can't authorise that and I'll have to check, at which point he kicks off with me for not telling him that sooner. Rolling Eyes And when I point out that he didn't tell me about the minimum charge he keeps insisting it doesn't matter because it's less than the line rental. The twit really couldn't see what was wrong with trying to slide something like that past me and then he got cross and hung up on me! Shocked

Generally unrelated but quite a funny whinge... last week I rung a company to see if they could do us a cheaper contract on our photocopying... so the lady I'm speaking to forgets to put me on hold and I hear her shout across the office "ANDY! CAN YOU BLAG THIS ONE FOR ME!" Laughing
Spudrick68Offline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 1227
PostPosted: 27-01-2014 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walking to a friends the other evening, I came to a crossing with belisha beacons flashing. Despite having one foot on the crossing three cars decided to carry on and drive through anyway. Car driver number 3 on the other side of the road, scarily, had simply not seen me. If I walked with headphones on (I don't), it could easily have been a death. Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 20 of 30

Jump to: