Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
The Whinge Thread , resurrected
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MythopoeikaOffline
I am a meat popsicle
Total posts: 10469
PostPosted: 27-01-2014 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like that happened near me a few years ago.

I drove up to a zebra crossing to turn left down a side street, and in the dim lighting I saw someone standing there, waiting to cross.

So I pulled up and sat there patiently waiting for the person to cross, with my left indicator flashing.

As this person (a woman with a pushchair) was halfway across, the dickhead in the car behind me overtook, and saw the woman right at the last moment.

Fortunately, he stopped in time - with a yard to spare.

A few days shortly after this event, I noticed that the council had replaced the belisha beacons with new ones that had white lights down the sides, making it easier to see pedestrians at the crossing. Perhaps this woman had made a complaint to the council about the dim lighting at the crossing?
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18648
PostPosted: 28-01-2014 10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

A week or two ago I pulled over on a busyish road to give way to an approaching ambulance. You couldn't miss it, with the full blues'n'twos, and I kept my indicator on, but some silly sod still dodged round me and nearly collided with it. The tosser.

Quote:

A few days shortly after this event, I noticed that the council had replaced the belisha beacons with new ones that had white lights down the sides, making it easier to see pedestrians at the crossing. Perhaps this woman had made a complaint to the council about the dim lighting at the crossing?

I'm not sure that could've been sorted in just a few days. A few years, p'raps. Laughing

Pedestrians and cyclists're just seen as a nuisance by road planners round here.

Years ago a new road was built through the middle of town, crossing another main road at a new roundabout. It was the busiest junction for miles and pedestrians had to get across it to reach the town centre. As it had no pedestrian crossings this could be hair-raising.

As I had young children at the time and found the roundabout hard to negotiate, I wrote to the local newspaper about it, challenging local councillors to walk it with me and a pushchair.
None of them took me up but crossings were installed within about 18 months.

I like to think this was down to me. Cool

Today we have the exact same problem again a quarter of a mile away, where the new retail park leads onto another roundabout with no pedestrian crossings. There're also cycle lanes which end and restart at the roundabout so that cyclists are trying to cross the road-ends with pedestrians. Chaos. Evil or Very Mad

I use that road and roundabout at all hours of the day and night, in cars and on bikes and on foot - it's on my route to work and I do shifts - and every day I see near-misses. A couple of years ago I was knocked off my bike there. Someone'll be killed soon.
drbastardOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 564
PostPosted: 28-01-2014 10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythopoeika wrote:

As this person (a woman with a pushchair) was halfway across, the dickhead in the car behind me overtook, and saw the woman right at the last moment

The way I see it, being able to look ahead, plan and predict obstacles is an integral part of good driving. If this pillock didn't see the pedestrian, AND didn't think to question why you were stationary, then TBH he doesn't deserve to be behind the wheel. Bad lighting no excuse whatsoever.

I've had plenty of very similar situations; frighteningly there are a lot of them on the roads.Sad
MythopoeikaOffline
I am a meat popsicle
PostPosted: 28-01-2014 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

drbastard wrote:
I've had plenty of very similar situations; frighteningly there are a lot of them on the roads.Sad

Seriously, I think there needs to be a minimum intelligence requirement for being allowed to drive. Too many non-thinkers on the road.
Spudrick68Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1275
PostPosted: 28-01-2014 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non-thinkers who have the temerity to flick the V's at the victim that they nearly run over, like they have done something wrong. I wish, just once, that a police car was behind them.
Ronson8Offline
Things can only get better.
Total posts: 6300
PostPosted: 28-01-2014 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wish, just once, that a police car was behind them.
That's always my wish too.
Heckler20Offline
The Sockpuppet of
Total posts: 4942
PostPosted: 30-01-2014 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronson8 wrote:
Quote:

I dunno I always wish my car would transform into a giant robot so I could pick the car up and crush it between my pneumatic robot hands, but that's just me I suppose.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 20686
PostPosted: 30-01-2014 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heckler20 wrote:
Ronson8 wrote:
Quote:

I dunno I always wish my car would transform into a giant robot so I could pick the car up and crush it between my pneumatic robot hands, but that's just me I suppose.

I pray to Cthulhu to come and mangle the car with his tentacles. One day he will come.
MythopoeikaOffline
I am a meat popsicle
PostPosted: 30-01-2014 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramonmercado wrote:
Heckler20 wrote:
Ronson8 wrote:
Quote:

I pray to Cthulhu to come and mangle the car with his tentacles. One day he will come.

Until that time, you're sitting in the house waiting and dreaming, eh... Wink
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 20686
PostPosted: 31-01-2014 00:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythopoeika wrote:
ramonmercado wrote:
Heckler20 wrote:
Ronson8 wrote:
Quote:

No, I suymmon up lesser deities.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25295
PostPosted: 31-01-2014 09:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to go for a dental appointment today, but with the way the buses run now, it's going to take me hours to get there and back. And the weather's lousy... Evil or Very Mad
SHAYBARSABEOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1529
PostPosted: 31-01-2014 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramonmercado wrote:
Mythopoeika wrote:
ramonmercado wrote:
Heckler20 wrote:
Ronson8 wrote:
Quote:

No, I suymmon up lesser deities.

My husband always wishes for their tires to deflate (slowly, of course).
SHAYBARSABEOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1529
PostPosted: 31-01-2014 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:
I have to go for a dental appointment today, but with the way the buses run now, it's going to take me hours to get there and back. And the weather's lousy... Evil or Very Mad

Honestly, Rynner, you must learn to knit, or do something so you're not staring out from the bus stop (and the bus) making yourself more annoyed.

You could knit willy warmers and allow everyone on the bus some amusement. Who knows? Could turn into a business.
CochiseOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1683
PostPosted: 01-02-2014 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a general whinge, why is it so damn hard to get things done these days?

I'm not a pushy person, but I constantly find myself having to make phone call after phone call, reminder after reminder, to get people to do things they have agreed to do. Or which it is their job to do. And I don't just mean the public services, I mean just about everyone. If you've said you'll do it, FFS just do it without wasting my time and spirit having to constantly prod you into action! (Which I find very hard and embarrassing to do.)
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25295
PostPosted: 01-02-2014 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cochise wrote:
Just as a general whinge, why is it so damn hard to get things done these days?

I'm not a pushy person, but I constantly find myself having to make phone call after phone call, reminder after reminder, to get people to do things they have agreed to do. Or which it is their job to do.

Yes, the tumble drier in our laundry room isn't working properly. At least three people here have reported it, but nothing has been done yet.

The gutters need cleaning and repairing, but I first reported that months ago (with a digital pic of one overflowing), but so far with no obvious gutter-related activity! Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 21 of 28

Jump to: