Forums

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Sasquatch DNA analysis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - manbeasts and mystery apes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Joined: 09 Mar 2002
Total posts: 8591
Location: FTMB HQ
Age: 47
Gender: Male
PostPosted: 14-02-2013 08:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cryptomundo has a synopsis here, along with supplementary stuff from Melba Ketchum (with alleged footage of sleeping 'squatch "Matilda") here, and commentary from Jim McClarin here.

Lots to wade through, will post back later when I've time to work out what I think Smile.
Back to top
View user's profile Send e-mail 
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
Joined: 18 Oct 2009
Total posts: 2227
Location: Wales
Gender: Male
PostPosted: 14-02-2013 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something from a fella whose read the paper;

http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/02/bigfoot-genome-paper-conclusively-proves-that-sasquatch-is-real/

And this blog;
http://blog.chron.com/sciguy/2013/02/like-omg-bigfoot-dna-paper-is-published/

I realised that the target audience ( I don't include all those who've an interest or belief in the subject here at all) wouldn't require much effort to satisfy, but even I was expecting something a bit more artful than this.
Back to top
View user's profile 
lkb3rdOffline
Great Old One
Joined: 19 Jul 2004
Total posts: 301
Location: CT. USA
Gender: Male
PostPosted: 14-02-2013 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all the bizarre, unprofessional, and flaky behavior I am not sure I even care about this any more.
Back to top
View user's profile 
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
Joined: 18 Oct 2009
Total posts: 2227
Location: Wales
Gender: Male
PostPosted: 15-02-2013 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

What surprises me is that the faithful don't seem to be taking this very seriously either.

I don't understand it, in my opinion this is big foot, this is all it ever was and all it ever will be.
Back to top
View user's profile 
Anome_Offline
Faceless Man
Joined: 23 May 2002
Total posts: 4900
Location: Left, and to the back.
Age: 46
Gender: Male
PostPosted: 15-02-2013 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, self-publishing scientific articles in a journal you own is a sure sign of credibility.

Or credulousness. I'm always getting the two confused.
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website 
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Joined: 09 Mar 2002
Total posts: 8591
Location: FTMB HQ
Age: 47
Gender: Male
PostPosted: 15-02-2013 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuneville wrote:
Lots to wade through, will post back later when I've time to work out what I think Smile.

oldrover wrote:
What surprises me is that the faithful don't seem to be taking this very seriously either.

No. I'm not, now I've had a chance to wade a bit. I see three basic possibilities.

Either:

Melba's entirely sincere, but sweet-naturedly gullible and has taken some really really bad advice, or

Melba's entirely sincere, but sweet-naturedly gullible and has been completely taken in by one of the plethora of colourful characters (read: con-merchants) that inhabit the Bigfoot universe sensing a buck, or

Melba herself is actually one of the plethora of colourful characters (read: con-merchants) that inhabit the Bigfoot universe sensing a buck.


Now, if it's one of the first two, then the findings could still stand. But I'm not holding my breath.
Back to top
View user's profile Send e-mail 
dreenessOffline
Teen Titans Forum TGNMemory
Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Total posts: 965
Location: Teen Titans Message Board TGNMemory
Gender: Unknown
PostPosted: 16-02-2013 00:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link to article:

link



From The Puffington Host:
Quote:
Bigfoot DNA Tests: Science Journal's Credibility Called Into Question


Bigfoot is real ... maybe.

After months of waiting for a peer-reviewed scientific journal to publish findings on the validity of alleged Bigfoot DNA evidence, the time has come for answers. But is there enough empirical evidence to finally confirm that the elusive, tall, hairy man-beast of North America really exists? Maybe, but questions have now been raised about the scientific journal publishing the findings.

In November, after a five-year study of purported Bigfoot (aka Sasquatch) DNA samples, Texas geneticist Melba Ketchum and a team of experts in genetics, forensics, imaging and pathology, were anxious for their findings to be published in a scientific journal. On Wednesday, their research appeared in the DeNovo Journal of Science, which seemed to confirm Ketchum's research about the reality of Bigfoot.

But according to GoDaddy.com, DeNovo was first registered as a domain on Feb. 4, 2013 --- anonymously and for only one year.

The current edition of DeNovo is listed as Volume 1, Issue 1, and its only content, thus far, is the Bigfoot research.

Also, on Ketchum's Sasquatch Genome Project website, she writes, "It has been a long and tedious battle to prove that Sasquatch exists. ... Trying to publish has taken almost two years. It seems mainstream science just can't seem to tolerate something controversial, especially from a group of primarily forensic scientists and not 'famous academians' aligned with large universities, even though most of our sequencing and analysis was performed at just such facilities."

Ketchum then explains how one journal agreed to publish her findings, but then was advised not to by its lawyers because such a controversial subject "would destroy the editors' reputations (as it has already done to mine). ... Rather than spend another five years just trying to find a journal to publish and hoping that decent, open minded reviewers would be chosen, we acquired the rights to this journal and renamed it so we would not lose the passing peer reviews that are expected by the public and the scientific community."

And therein lies the potential problem: Did Ketchum "buy" this journal, and begin its new existence under the name of DeNovo just over a week ago in order to get what appears to be a favorable peer review of her Bigfoot studies? That's the big question being raised by numerous people at this point.

According to a press release by Ketchum's Sasquatch Genome Project, the study, "which sequenced three whole Sasquatch nuclear genomes, shows that the legendary Sasquatch is extant in North America and is a human relative that arose approximately 13,000 years ago and is hypothesized to be a hybrid cross of modern Homo sapiens with a novel primate species."

A total of 111 specimens of alleged Sasquatch hair, blood, skin and other tissues formed the basis of the study. These samples came from many individuals and groups at sites covering 14 states and two Canadian provinces.

Watch this related Fox News Bigfoot report

On her Doubtful News website, skeptic and geologist Sharon Hill raises many questions about Ketchum's claims.

"I clicked on the DeNovo site and was appalled at how amateurish the site is. It's full of stock photographs, very poorly coded, there are errors all over it and it's very difficult to navigate," Hill told The Huffington Post.

"[Ketchum] documented that she acquired the rights to this journal. We don't know what journal that was. I still can't find it and that's a little fishy," said Hill. "And then she renamed it so they would not lose the peer reviews that they had. It looks suspicious. This is not how science works."

Also, on the DeNovo site, the journal itself is identified as both DeNovo and DeVono.

It would be a huge story if all the work done by Ketchum and her team ultimately leads to scientific confirmation of the reality of Sasquatch. But at this point, the new wrinkles about the DeNovo Science Journal have only added to the credibility issues by a foot or two -- a Bigfoot.
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website 
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
Joined: 18 Oct 2009
Total posts: 2227
Location: Wales
Gender: Male
PostPosted: 16-02-2013 08:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuneville wrote:
stuneville wrote:
Lots to wade through, will post back later when I've time to work out what I think Smile.

oldrover wrote:
What surprises me is that the faithful don't seem to be taking this very seriously either.

No. I'm not, now I've had a chance to wade a bit.


Just to emphasise that I don't consider you or anyone else here to be what I'd tend to think of as 'the faithful'.

I'd say it has to be obvious though that in this matter an innocent explanation is impossible.
Back to top
View user's profile 
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
Joined: 18 Oct 2009
Total posts: 2227
Location: Wales
Gender: Male
PostPosted: 16-02-2013 08:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually now I think of it one and two of your list of possible scenarios might possibly hold up, I'm not saying they do of course just that it's not impossible. Speaking purely from a humane perspective, I'd rather think it was option three.
Back to top
View user's profile 
amyasleighOffline
Great Old One
Joined: 03 Nov 2009
Total posts: 476
Gender: Unknown
PostPosted: 16-02-2013 09:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some of the correspondence elsewhere about these recent doings, I've seen reference to Ketchum comparing herself in her recent labours and travails and being scorned / rejected / misunderstood, to Galileo and to Jesus Christ. Protesting too much, just a bit? Her carrying-on this way would tend to reduce her credibility -- suggesting that she isn't very stable, and / or she's consciously involved in fraud and fakery.
Back to top
View user's profile 
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
Joined: 18 Oct 2009
Total posts: 2227
Location: Wales
Gender: Male
PostPosted: 16-02-2013 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
suggesting that she isn't very stable


That's the thing, if this is all just the result of delusion rather than trickery it'd be very sad.
Back to top
View user's profile 
lkb3rdOffline
Great Old One
Joined: 19 Jul 2004
Total posts: 301
Location: CT. USA
Gender: Male
PostPosted: 18-02-2013 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

amyasleigh wrote:
In some of the correspondence elsewhere about these recent doings, I've seen reference to Ketchum comparing herself in her recent labours and travails and being scorned / rejected / misunderstood, to Galileo and to Jesus Christ. Protesting too much, just a bit? Her carrying-on this way would tend to reduce her credibility -- suggesting that she isn't very stable, and / or she's consciously involved in fraud and fakery.


I group this in with the claims she was raped by a Bigfoot, and that one braided her horse's mane. Maybe it is true(as an open minded Fortean Razz ), but if she had more common sense she'd have kept her mouth shut about that and focused on provable facts.
It is also possible that she is having mental issues.
Back to top
View user's profile 
Isis177Offline
Great Old One
Joined: 22 May 2004
Total posts: 508
Location: Australia
Gender: Unknown
PostPosted: 19-02-2013 10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bigfoot DNA

In the first half of Sunday's show, Dr. Melba S. Ketchum joined George Knapp to discuss the official release of her DNA analysis of possible Bigfoot hair samples. Her publication titled "Novel North American Hominin" is available for paid download through the DeNovo Journal. Ketchum's findings were based on the analysis of 111 samples of blood, tissue, hair, and related materials sent in to her lab by Sasquatch researchers and eyewitnesses. Mitochondrial DNA testing revealed that the hair was human in origin, yet a forensic hair specialist examined the specimens and declared them to be novel-- "it was not human hair and didn't match any of his animal knowns it was tested against," he told her.

When it came to testing the nuclear DNA of the samples "we started getting really strange results," she said, "with weird looking bands that were all different sizes." One testing facility reported that the sequences didn't match anything in the GenBank database. Ketchum has concluded that the creatures are either derived from humans and mutated excessively, or some type of hybrid. Further, she believes them to be a fairly modern species, paralleling humans in the last 13,000 years. She also suggested that there were some 16 different subtypes of Bigfoot, typically associated with different regions. For more, check out the recap of her 12/23/12 show appearance.
This was in the Coastzone newsletter today
Back to top
View user's profile 
amyasleighOffline
Great Old One
Joined: 03 Nov 2009
Total posts: 476
Gender: Unknown
PostPosted: 19-02-2013 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

lkb3rd wrote:
amyasleigh wrote:
In some of the correspondence elsewhere about these recent doings, I've seen reference to Ketchum comparing herself in her recent labours and travails and being scorned / rejected / misunderstood, to Galileo and to Jesus Christ. Protesting too much, just a bit? Her carrying-on this way would tend to reduce her credibility -- suggesting that she isn't very stable, and / or she's consciously involved in fraud and fakery.


I group this in with the claims she was raped by a Bigfoot, and that one braided her horse's mane. Maybe it is true(as an open minded Fortean Razz ), but if she had more common sense she'd have kept her mouth shut about that and focused on provable facts.
It is also possible that she is having mental issues.

I'd forgotten the raped-by-a-Bigfoot thing concerning her -- honestly ! So much crazy stuff surrounding this whole subject; and that of it concerning the creature and sex, seeming especially crazy: I mentally rolled eyes at the time, at the claim re Ketchum, then consigned it to the BS pile and forgot it. And the horses'-manes-braiding matter: often shows up on this whole scene, but plenty of possible mundane explanations for it...

Agree that if it is wished to get mainstream science on board, best to keep the way-out-there stuff out of sight.
Back to top
View user's profile 
dreenessOffline
Teen Titans Forum TGNMemory
Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Total posts: 965
Location: Teen Titans Message Board TGNMemory
Gender: Unknown
PostPosted: 20-02-2013 01:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isis177 wrote:
Quote:
Bigfoot DNA

In the first half of Sunday's show, Dr. Melba S. Ketchum joined George Knapp to discuss the official release of her DNA analysis of possible Bigfoot hair samples. Her publication titled "Novel North American Hominin" is available for paid download through the DeNovo Journal. Ketchum's findings were based on the analysis of 111 samples of blood, tissue, hair, and related materials sent in to her lab by Sasquatch researchers and eyewitnesses. Mitochondrial DNA testing revealed that the hair was human in origin, yet a forensic hair specialist examined the specimens and declared them to be novel-- "it was not human hair and didn't match any of his animal knowns it was tested against," he told her.

When it came to testing the nuclear DNA of the samples "we started getting really strange results," she said, "with weird looking bands that were all different sizes." One testing facility reported that the sequences didn't match anything in the GenBank database. Ketchum has concluded that the creatures are either derived from humans and mutated excessively, or some type of hybrid. Further, she believes them to be a fairly modern species, paralleling humans in the last 13,000 years. She also suggested that there were some 16 different subtypes of Bigfoot, typically associated with different regions. For more, check out the recap of her 12/23/12 show appearance.
This was in the Coastzone newsletter today




(Wild Conjecture Alert!)


Leaving Dr Ketchum's research (very much) to one side for a moment, what about the idea of (sometime in the ancient past) a geographically and genetically isolated human population, becoming increasingly inbred over time, gradually and progressively acquiring more and more atavistic traits,
resulting in what would amount to more or less an accidental and spontaneous "TaurOs Project"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TaurOs_Project

thereby creating a reasonable facsimile of primitive hominids, or something like that?
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website 
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - manbeasts and mystery apes All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group