Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Database maintenance - board unavailable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Web site issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 8587
PostPosted: 19-09-2014 07:15    Post subject: Database maintenance - board unavailable Reply with quote

Just today, 19th Sep, the board may become periodically unavailable for a few mins at a time. It's down to me running various checks on it and checking and re-synching data, such as post-counts (see the Reorg thread for a splendid example of why this is necessary Wink.)

All should be ok by tea-time.
theyithianOffline
Keeping the British end up
Total posts: 355
Location: Going uphill, in the pouring rain, at the junction of two maps.
PostPosted: 19-09-2014 08:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

No chance of things like merging my two identities, is there?
stunevilleOffline
Admin
PostPosted: 19-09-2014 08:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall yell at them again forthwith.
PeripartOffline
is still wondering
Total posts: 2899
PostPosted: 26-09-2014 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the database intact? I only ask because I'm pretty sure I used to have 4000+ posts, and now it's rather less. Don't worry - it's no loss, as only a handful were worth reading, but something interesting might've disappeared...
McAvennie_Offline
OBE
Total posts: 2597
PostPosted: 26-09-2014 18:16    Post subject: Re: Database maintenance - board unavailable Reply with quote

stuneville wrote:
Just today, 19th Sep, the board may become periodically unavailable for a few mins at a time. It's down to me running various checks on it and checking and re-synching data, such as post-counts (see the Reorg thread for a splendid example of why this is necessary Wink.)

All should be ok by tea-time.

Unless I am using it wrong the post-count in the member list doesn't work properly for me.

Out of curiosity one day I went on to search what the highest number of posts by a single user was but instead of ranking users in this fashion, for example...

...it ranks them...

...etc.

Maybe it is just a setting to rank by highest to lowest rather than an 'alphabetised' number list.
stunevilleOffline
Admin
PostPosted: 26-09-2014 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peripart wrote:
Is the database intact? I only ask because I'm pretty sure I used to have 4000+ posts, and now it's rather less.

Yes, it's now correct - what happens is the database counts all posts as they're made, but doesn't then subtract any posts from threads that get pruned. As a result anyone who'd ever posted in Chat since 2001 would have had an inflated post count - so I got the database to recount, basically (my count accordingly dropped by a couple of thousand.)

This has the added benefit of making search quicker and more accurate. In theory.

McA - dunno. I'll have a look when back online tomorrow.
PeripartOffline
is still wondering
Total posts: 2899
PostPosted: 28-09-2014 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuneville wrote:
I wrote:
Is the database intact? I only ask because I'm pretty sure I used to have 4000+ posts, and now it's rather less.

Yes, it's now correct - what happens is the database counts all posts as they're made, but doesn't then subtract any posts from threads that get pruned. As a result anyone who'd ever posted in Chat since 2001 would have had an inflated post count - so I got the database to recount, basically (my count accordingly dropped by a couple of thousand.)

This has the added benefit of making search quicker and more accurate. In theory.

Fair enough - so the number of posts I'm now credited with is those that are left. Makes sense!

stuneville wrote:
McA - dunno. I'll have a look when back online tomorrow.

The post count malarky has always been that way, as long as I can remember. If you want to see who the 3rd-highest poster is (behind Rynner and Rynner2, obviously), good luck, because the search function will not help you much!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Web site issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: