Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Are thylacines hiding in trees ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - mystery quadrupeds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HappydaysuallOffline
Grey
Total posts: 6
PostPosted: 20-02-2013 11:30    Post subject: Are thylacines hiding in trees ? Reply with quote

I am quite new to F T and have only just discovered these wonderful creatures.
Does anyone think that there is any possibility that the tazzy tiger could swing from the trees using its tail.I understand that some people have said that they have rigid tails but I agree with old rovers post that they were indeed flexible.
Perhaps this is why there are no paw prints to be found and maybe people should start looking up into the trees! These creatures may also have developed some way to stop their young from falling out of their pouches whilst swinging through these trees?! If there's anyone who could find such photographic evidence I'm sure it will be old rover!
MonstrosaOffline
Total posts: 637
PostPosted: 22-02-2013 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll bite.

Are you seriously suggesting that a terrestrially adapted animal has somehow become adapted to an arboreal life? There is flexible and then there is prehensile. Compare the tails of the Brushtail Possum, and Common Opossum to the Tasmanian Tigers. Compare the paws of these species and you will see that the paw of the thylacine is not adapted to grasping, unlike the other two species.
oldroverOffline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 2227
PostPosted: 22-02-2013 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you seriously suggesting that a terrestrially adapted animal has somehow become adapted to an arboreal life?

No he isn't serious trust me. This is why people give me hammers.
PaulTaylorOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 63
PostPosted: 22-02-2013 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldrover wrote:
Quote:
Are you seriously suggesting that a terrestrially adapted animal has somehow become adapted to an arboreal life?

No he isn't serious trust me. This is why people give me hammers.

Hush! I'm diggin' the mental image of thylacines swinging themselves through the rainforest canopy by their tails.
oldroverOffline
Justified and Ancient
Total posts: 2227
PostPosted: 22-02-2013 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh don't get me wrong I loved it too.

Quote:
Perhaps this is why there are no paw prints to be found and maybe people should start looking up into the trees! These creatures may also have developed some way to stop their young from falling out of their pouches whilst swinging through these trees?!

These are my two favourite sentences.
titch4Offline
Yeti
Total posts: 33
PostPosted: 22-02-2013 23:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now we know why we haven't found nessie yet.
PaulTaylorOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 63
PostPosted: 23-02-2013 10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are my favourite lines.

Happydaysuall wrote:
some people have said that they have rigid tails but I agree with old rovers post that they were indeed flexible.

Happydaysuall wrote:
If there's anyone who could find such photographic evidence I'm sure it will be old rover!

I can't wait to hear on the morning news that renegade zoologist Professor Old Rover has finally left for his expedition to find photographic proof of his unpopular theory of the thylacine's arboreal lifestyle. Wink

titch4 wrote:

Aye, I've watched over the Loch for thirty years now, and I've seen no sign of dear old Nessie! Just the salmon leaping from the water, the grebes paddling across the surface, and the plesiosaurs swinging through the surrounding trees. I'm beginning to think there's nothing there!
Human_84Offline
We wont hurt you human.
Total posts: 1244
PostPosted: 23-02-2013 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

titch4 wrote:

Miaow us cats don't have room for no Nessie!
drbatesOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 542
PostPosted: 25-02-2013 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulTaylor wrote:

Aye, I've watched over the Loch for thirty years now, and I've seen no sign of dear old Nessie! Just the salmon leaping from the water, the grebes paddling across the surface, and the plesiosaurs swinging through the surrounding trees. I'm beginning to think there's nothing there!

Plesiosaurs all carrying photograph albums stuffed with Thunderbird pics Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - mystery quadrupeds All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: