Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Crystal ball reading: Where is it now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Notes and Queries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MonstrosaOffline
Total posts: 638
PostPosted: 05-03-2013 19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that in the heyday of ball scrying the illumination would more than likely be candle light or the fire from the hearth.
garrick92Offline
Invisible Flaneur
Total posts: 1024
PostPosted: 05-03-2013 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you wouldn't want to be peering into one in the light of the midday sun -- you could be blinded, if these stories are anything to go by!

Quote:
AN AMATEUR psychic watched his flat go up in smoke - thanks to a blaze started by his crystal ball.

Herve Vandrot failed to predict the looming disaster when he left the mystic trinket on the windowsill of his Edinburgh home.

Instead of casting some light on the future, the crystal ball focused it on to a pile of clothes and set the place on fire.

And Frenchman Herve got home just in time to see smoke billowing out of the window.

The 24-year-old student was left with a burns to his hand after rushing into the blazing flat in a bid to save his university work.

But he was hauled outside as 35 firefighters arrived to tackle the inferno, which ended up destroying two other homes and damaging several more.

Last night, fire investigators said the blaze had been started by the crystal ball, which acted like a magnifying glass

Source

Quote:
SHAWNEE, Okla. - Firefighters in this central Oklahoma town peered into a crystal ball and found the cause for a fire.

It didn't take long for Shawnee Fire Prevention Officer Jimmy Gibson to figure out what caught a homeowner's sofa on fire and brought fire crews to the rescue.

Once the couch was extinguished, Gibson reached into a hole burnt into the sofa and found a glass gazing ball. Soon, sunlight shining through the ball burned two holes in the leg of his pants.

Firefighters then placed the ball in the grass, and within 30 seconds the ground was smoking.

"It has dynamic heat. We were caught off guard," Gibson said. "I couldn't believe how quickly it burned."

Firefighters believe the ball was taken off a table, where it was usually displayed, and placed on the couch by the homeowner's grandchildren. The fire started two days later, when sunshine came through a large set of windows and through the glass ball, igniting the couch.

"It's not something you run across every day," Gibson said. "I'd never seen it."

The fire set off a smoke detector, and the homeowner quickly called the fire department. No one was injured in the fire, which was confined to the sofa.

Gibson said he plans to keep the ball, which the homeowner gave him after the fire a couple weeks ago, on his bookshelf as a conversation piece.

He said the ball worked like a magnifying glass in sunlight, directing light into a heat beam.

Even if the ball was placed on a flat, nonflammable surface, the heat from sunlight could ignite a blaze on a rug or other items, Gibson said, so homeowners should be careful where they place such items.

Source
MonstrosaOffline
Total posts: 638
PostPosted: 05-03-2013 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking more along the lines of the light flickering, not constant like electrical lighting or gas lighting.
garrick92Offline
Invisible Flaneur
Total posts: 1024
PostPosted: 05-03-2013 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I understood what you were getting at -- far more conducive to suggestive images than a constant light source. I was just playing silly buggers.
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
Total posts: 1707
PostPosted: 02-04-2013 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, you wouldn't want to be peering into one in the light of the midday sun -- you could be blinded, if these stories are anything to go by!

My ex-lodger used to work in a headshop and actually saw that happen... thankfully she caught it before the place went up in smoke.
cece23Offline
Grey
Total posts: 15
PostPosted: 12-04-2013 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it happens I have a crystal ball. I bought it as more a curiosity than anything, from a second hand shop. I kinda liked the idea of having a crystal ball that some psychic might have actually used once.

Anyway, as others have said, a crystal ball is used for scrying. Its a way to focus the mind. One sort of goes into a daydream like state, the eyes defocus, and the images come. That's the theory anyway, though I have never had any success.

Also one is supposed to wrap the ball up in something dark, like a black piece of velvet, which is supposed to have some sort of effect on the energy of the ball I think. I have it displayed though (but thankfully away from the sunlight!).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Notes and Queries All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: