Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
A name from the 80's/90's SRA panic?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Notes and Queries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpookdaddyOffline
Cuckoo
Total posts: 3932
PostPosted: 05-05-2013 16:24    Post subject: A name from the 80's/90's SRA panic? Reply with quote

The current historical abuse scandal got me going through some stuff from back in the days of the Satanic Ritual Abuse moral panic of the 80's 90's.

At one point - I associate it most closely with the Orkneys case, and a seminar attended in (I think) Aberdeen by a local social worker - the name of a company or organisation trading in 'expert' knowledge of Satanic Ritual Abuse, and with US right-wing evangelical roots and financial backing, came up.

My memory, which is usually pretty good, has obviously in this case garbled it up as the 'Sunrise Corporation' - I can find no (relevant) reference to such an organisation.

Plenty of sources refer to right wing evangelists, lectures and seminars etc - but I can't find a reference to the actual organisation that I'm sure existed. Can anyone else remember reference to it, or what it was called?

Edit: There was a TV drama made not too long after the Orkneys case had started to unravel, and which was cleary based on it - part of me wonders if I might have picked up a fictionalised name from there.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 12940
PostPosted: 05-05-2013 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try checking out Richard Webster's books on child abuse panics, he probably mentions the Satanic connection in those.
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 8611
PostPosted: 06-05-2013 07:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be the Sonrise Church? They're pretty evangelistic and a bit down on Old Nick..

Coincidentally, whilst doing some unrelated research not long ago I turned up this fantastically loopy tract, a lengthy pdf in which the author starts well enough with crimes featuring prima facie satanic ritual overtones, but then gradually works himself up into identifying all manner of things, from Columbine to Bilderberg to (probably) the Ford Fiesa as satanically motivated. Worth a gander,if only to remind yourself how easy it is for a well-meaning researcher to get gripped by meaning-mania.
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
Total posts: 1744
PostPosted: 06-05-2013 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may still have a copy of La Fontaine's Speak of the Devil sat around, god only knows where it is but if I come upon it in the near future, I'll have a skim and see if it mentions that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Notes and Queries All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: