Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Woolwich terror attack
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Mainstream News Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13098
PostPosted: 22-05-2013 17:39    Post subject: Woolwich terror attack Reply with quote

This is awful:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22630303

Quote:
A man has died and two are injured after police responded to a reported machete attack in south-east London.

The government is reported to be treating the attack as a suspected terrorist incident and the prime minister said it was "truly shocking".

Eyewitnesses said a man was assaulted in a Woolwich street by two individuals who were later shot by officers.

Local MP Nick Raynsford said the dead man was a soldier at Woolwich barracks but this has not been confirmed.

Home Secretary Theresa May has summoned a meeting of the government's emergency response committee Cobra to assess the incident.

Mrs May said she had been briefed by the director general of Security Service MI5 on the "sickening and barbaric" attack.

Whitehall sources have told the BBC it is "a fair supposition" that the incident was a terrorist incident but police have not commented publicly on the suggestion.

BBC political editor Nick Robinson said the police view is that the attack may have been filmed and footage may exist.

According to senior Whitehall sources the people carrying out the attack were heard to say Allahu Akbar [God is Great], said our political editor...

Witnesses reported by the Press Association said two people had been shot after armed police were called to an incident in which a man was attacked with a machete-style knife.

One witness, identified only as James, said two men had attacked another man, aged about 20, who was wearing a T-shirt of military charity Help for Heroes.

"These two guys were crazed. They were just animals. They dragged him from the pavement and dumped his body in the middle of the road and left his body there," he told LBC radio.

He said after the "horrendous" attack, the two men, who were also in their 20s, stood around, waving knives and a gun, and asked people to take pictures of them "as if they wanted to be on TV or something".

"They were oblivious to anything, they were more worried about having their photo taken, running up and down the road," he said...

Can't understand any kind of behaviour like that, it's so alien. Sounds like they thought they were auditioning for a TV show or something.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21454
PostPosted: 22-05-2013 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand the behaviour. I think its obvious at this stage that I have a dislike for Islamists. My posts on the Afghanistan thread imho show that despite my anti war views I take no pleasure from the deaths of British Soldiers.

But, I fear that the people who carried out this attack were motivated by what has happened in Afghanistan and Iraq.
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
Total posts: 1877
PostPosted: 22-05-2013 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were they going for the worlds dumbest terrorist award or something?
YithianOffline
Keeping the British end up
Total posts: 8770
PostPosted: 22-05-2013 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://order-order.com/2013/05/22/watch-itv-footage-of-terrorist-attack-aftermath/

Video of immediate aftermath. Strong caveats: blood and body feature.

Nothing can justify such barbarity.
Is this truly what England has become? Beheadings on the street in broad daylight?
Quake42Offline
Warrior Princess
Total posts: 5605
PostPosted: 22-05-2013 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I fear that the people who carried out this attack were motivated by what has happened in Afghanistan and Iraq

They don't look to be Afghan or Iraqi. I suspect their motivation is simply the insane death cult.

Absolutely shocking and unbelievable this could happen in broad daylight on a London street.
CarlosTheDJOffline
Dazed and confused for so long its not true
Total posts: 1975
PostPosted: 22-05-2013 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facebook and Twitter have gone into death penalty meltdown....... Shocked
CavynautOffline
Skoumed!
Total posts: 1509
PostPosted: 22-05-2013 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbarians. Myth enamoured barbarians.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21454
PostPosted: 22-05-2013 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quake42 wrote:
Quote:
I fear that the people who carried out this attack were motivated by what has happened in Afghanistan and Iraq

They don't look to be Afghan or Iraqi. I suspect their motivation is simply the insane death cult.

Absolutely shocking and unbelievable this could happen in broad daylight on a London street.

No, but in this case imho its not just a death cult thing. I suspect that as Muslims they saw themselves as striking back for the attacks on their co-religionists. I'm not in any way supporting or excusing it. Just trying to put in a context that I can understand.

From FB:

Quote:
Tom Plastow
4 hours ago
'A few weeks ago, near where I grew up in Birmingham, a 75 year old Pakistani man was brutally murdered by a white man with a machete in a racist attack while he was walking home one evening from mosque. The press by and large reported this as an "unprovoked attack". There were no headlines about the men having a "christian appearance" or anything of the sort. Why is it then that when brown people have killed a white person it is a "terrorist" attack by men of "Muslim appearance"?'

- Friend of a friend, on the attack in London today.

Quote:
British soldier jailed for stabbing 10-year-old Afghan boy
A British soldier has been jailed for stabbing a 10-year-old boy after getting drunk on vodka while serving in Afghanistan.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/8933193/British-soldier-jailed-for-stabbing-10-year-old-Afghan-boy.html

Quote:
Owen Jones
about an hour ago near London, England
On my way to speak at ASLEF Conference, who have just voted to support drivers refusing to transport EDL members and fascists to demonstrations. Proud.
Zilch5Offline
Vogon Poet
Total posts: 1568
PostPosted: 23-05-2013 02:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I alone in thinking that the line between "terrorists" and mentally disturbed persons is becoming increasingly blurred? The guy in the video is no Afghani or Iraqi - most likely born and raised in Britain, I suspect.

Between those and the "Boston bombers" - aren't these the most disaffected people imaginable? If they are white Americans, they tend to grab some guns and shoot a school or a cinema. if they are minorities, they "convert" to Islam and and commit "acts of terrorism". Different sides of the same coin really.
YithianOffline
Keeping the British end up
Total posts: 8770
PostPosted: 23-05-2013 04:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

A man with an obvious London accent stands in the street, smeared in blood, having just commited an act completely alien to the British mentality, and talks about 'Our people' and 'Our lands' as if he were wholly foreign.

That, right there, is an instantiation of the failure of successive governments and - dare I say it - of the Muslim community - to the extent that such as an organised entitiy exists. We're not talking about merely disaffected individuals, but rather small and thriving sub-sections of major communities who have no interest, understanding, committment or allegiance to the British state or culture.

It's nothing to do with race or color - before Pietro and his ilk wade in with their magic words: search in vain for violent British subsects of the Sikh, Hindu, Buddhist, or Jewish religions. Islam is an especially intolerant religion to a degree that other similar faiths seem to have evolved beyond - in Britain at least. Most Muslims in Britain have a humane decency that tempers the countless calls for death, torture, rape and slavery their holy book demands; a small but growing number are not so consituted - and therein lies the danger.
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 8587
PostPosted: 23-05-2013 05:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been confirmed that the victim was a serving member of the armed forces. Further, there was a stand-off between riot police and 100 people, including members of the English Defence League that had rallied in Woolwich town centre.

It's shocking, and sickening, and as the days unfold is doubtless going to ferment all manner of reactions, publically and online. For that reason, this thread has the potential to turn toxic quite quickly: I can sense well-worn lines starting to be drawn.

Owing to this I will abstain from anything other than factual comment on this thread, and will moderate it myself. Jack and Pietro are free to comment as they wish. If any poster has any concerns regarding content, then please report the post immediately and PM or email me (links at the bottom of each of my posts.)
Quake42Offline
Warrior Princess
PostPosted: 23-05-2013 07:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

If reports which surfaced on Twitter and elsewhere last night were accurate, one of the men is a British born convert of Nigerian heritage.

What exactly are "our lands" of which he speaks? Peckham? Seriously unhinged and clearly not the sharpest tool in the box.
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 23-05-2013 07:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

theyithian wrote:

It's nothing to do with race or color - before Pietro and his ilk wade in with their magic words: search in vain for violent British subsects of the Sikh, Hindu, Buddhist, or Jewish religions. Islam is an especially intolerant religion to a degree that other similar faiths seem to have evolved beyond - in Britain at least. Most Muslims in Britain have a humane decency that tempers the countless calls for death, torture, rape and slavery their holy book demands; a small but growing number are not so consituted - and therein lies the danger.

What a shitty thing to write.

Grim. Is all I could think, yesterday. Although, it did take me back twenty, or thirty years, to when the IRA tried to bring their particular brand of less than discriminating terror to the British mainland. In fact I could go back forty years, to when two of the first young British soldiers waylaid and murdered by the IRA, came from just a few streets away from where I used to live. So, yes I do take a longer view on this kind of evil shit, as well as a dim view of the sort of people, of any persuasion, who cue up to take advantage of someone's murder, for motives of their own.

The only other things I've been thinking about the present murderous attack, so similar to the one on the late Theo van Gogh, is wondering whether these guys were working off their own bat, or as part of a terrorist cell and how their still being alive to answer for their crimes might play, compared to them being martyred at the scene.

Still, mostly just grim.
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 23-05-2013 07:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quake42 wrote:
If reports which surfaced on Twitter and elsewhere last night were accurate, one of the men is a British born convert of Nigerian heritage.

What exactly are "our lands" of which he speaks? Peckham? Seriously unhinged and clearly not the sharpest tool in the box.

According to BBC Radio4's Today programme, this morning, it could be a direct quote from some Al Qaida magazine publication, or other, advocating that readers use knives, or cars to run people over, on the streets.

It's certainly one of Al Qaida's ideological code catchphrases. They mean all Muslim lands, I think.
Quake42Offline
Warrior Princess
PostPosted: 23-05-2013 07:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness even the Guardian and BBC have reported this fairly straight. No one has yet appeared to reassure us that the practice beheadings of unarmed soldiers in the street occurs in all religions and cultures and is certainly nothing to do with Islam.

Give it time though... Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Mainstream News Stories All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: