Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Losing rare things ..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SwiftyOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 374
PostPosted: 08-09-2014 09:46    Post subject: Losing rare things .. Reply with quote

Trying to find my wallet this morning (and looking at rare ebay 'stuff') started me thinking this morning about things we don't miss until they're gone.

1)

This story will hurt hardcore Star Wars fans ..

About a week before Star Wars was released (I'm told), My Mum and another Mum next door were savy enough to take all us little kids to Hamleys toy shop in Birmingham (England). I'd never heard of Star Wars, all I cared about was that I was going to a toy shop!. We were all bought torches with plastic tubes attached ? .. and there was a bloke in costume that everyone kept calling Darth? .. there was only about 20 of us there from memory. I was too little to see over the other kids heads until some (probably a store manager) said "Darth .. someone wants to see you".. I was dutifully lifted up and put in Darth's arms for a moment. My Mum, behind the scenes made sure I came back home with an A4 sized black and white glossy print of Darth signed to me with love, Darth Vader. She told me years later it was THE David Prowes. I noticed the same unsigned print years later on the kids wall in the film Poltergeist, Dark Falcon productions printed on the bottom.

I grew up, neglected it until it had a few holes in it due to being placed next to a dart board. Not my fault, jealous school friends. I still loved it anyway ..

A couple of years ago, and I can't apologise enough to Star Wars freaks reading this, I came home drunk from the pub, in a good mood etc and decided I was going to restore it .. with Cillit Bang. Autograph wiped off, I sat with my head in my hands, screwed it up in self disgust then calmed down, retrieved it from the bin and decided to put a tea towl over it to iron out the creases ... = now crazy paving cracked with still no signature print Shocked .. I promise I will now respect what remains ..

2)

This story will hurt hardcore punk fans ...

Again, I'd also never even heard of The Lurkers when I bought the original, studio produced acetate (for younger readers, the acetate was the first ever master recording used, manufactured on a metal disc with a coating to replicate and produce every other copy afterwards available to the public to buy ... and I lost it ... specifically underneath a chair in a house in Burton on Trent. A few years later I read MOJO magazine, they had some kind of top hundred all time great punk tunes and The Lurkers Aint Got A Clue was listed in the top 6 greatest punk tunes of all time ...

Sorry everyone .. purging time .. I had to get those off my chest.

Does anyone else here have similar horror stories? ..
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 6293
PostPosted: 08-09-2014 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ephemeral things now may have a greater value than what we thought was more lasting. It is a common lament that when videotape was expensive, we merely time-shifted some favourite tv series and overtaped them with broadcasts of Psycho or Citizen Kane. Now we can hoard our pin-sharp Blurays of the "immortal masterpieces" but prefer to scrub around on Youtube for dim and distorted visions of tv dramas and comedies we never expected to see again. Smile
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 10748
PostPosted: 08-09-2014 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had so much stuff that I've got rid of in a charity shop (because of lack of space), that later turned out to be worth a shed load of money.
Mostly books, and a few rare model kits.
I still have a few treasured items that I won't part with, however...and one or two that I want to sell...
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
Total posts: 1770
PostPosted: 08-09-2014 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to buy 2000 AD from when it came out upto about issues 200, like most comics they got thrown not that long after reading.

People will pay silly money for those first few issues now.
McAvennie_Offline
OBE
Total posts: 2900
PostPosted: 08-09-2014 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a whole loft full of 'junk' at my mum's place that I have to get rid of either in storage or... gulp... Confused

I know a lot of it could be repurchased from eBay at one point later down the line but some of it I think I can't chuck out. Lack of space at my place though means it either has to be expensive long-term storage or the charity shop Sad

I do have Darth Vader's autograph from one he opened the upstairs of Tesco in High Wycombe in about 1983. Pretty sure it wasn't David Prowse though... Laughing
SwiftyOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 08-09-2014 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tescos is the dark side ... it must have been him Laughing ..and he did this sort of stuff all the time! .. http://www.davidgentle.com/ironindex/prowse.htm
Recycled1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2068
PostPosted: 09-09-2014 06:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get to my advanced years you realise that there's loads of stuff you should have kept to sell to collectors. Whatever happened to my "Muffin the Mule" puppet? My cute portable record player? My Wade Whimsie figures? My great uncle's iconic "toaster" radio that I had for my bedroom? etc. etc.

It isn't what you expect that turns out to be relatively valuable.
I had the job of clearing my mother's house eight years ago, and was careful to keep the (chipped) Clarice Cliff jug that had belonged to my gran, and other similar items that my mum had hinted were "worth something".
What I now realise is likely to be considerably more valuable (from watching "Real Deal" and other vulgar programs Smile )
is my dad's early Staunton chess set, which I kept from sheer sentiment.

Finally, am I likely to sell any thing at all? Probably not -I'd feel disloyal!
MoookstaOffline
Muppet
Total posts: 1956
PostPosted: 09-09-2014 08:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

A collection of 1977 badges and stickers....including the now rare "Darth VADAR" pin badge and my "Happy Empire Day" from London's Forbidden Planet in 1980. The complete set. In a plastic tub.
Lost during one of my countless moves.
Crying or Very sad

The bus shelter poster for Highlander....some 6 feet by 4 feet in size...rolled up in a cardboard tube....
Lost during a drunken journey back to college at Glasgow Central station.
Crying or Very sad

Sold my Palitoy cardboard Death Star and the original 12 figures for £120 in 1996. Not lost but regretted doing it many times.
Crying or Very sad
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
PostPosted: 09-09-2014 08:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I think about it, I did have a fair collection of Doctor Who cardboard figures from the backs of Weetabix packets at one time too.

Again, they seemed pretty ephemeral back then, esp. when everyone had them.
SwiftyOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 09-09-2014 10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moooksta wrote:
... Sold my Palitoy cardboard Death Star and the original 12 figures for £120 in 1996. Not lost but regretted doing it many times.
Crying or Very sad

Crying or Very sad .. sometimes you just need the cash ..

I lent a valuable shopping plastic bag full of my vintage Kenner Star Wars toys to the kids at the school for kids with behavioural problems to play with I worked with when Phantom Menace trailers were first coming out on TV. They were stolen by another member of staff but I could never prove it. I had to calm down a lad with autism because he thought it was all his fault. At the very least, I introduced new kids to the holy trilogy. Most of them came back next term covered in SW stuff and toys so I'm not that bothered about that loss when all's said and done Wink .. toys are for kids.

I regret giving away my 'before they were even nearly famous' The Prodigy poster ... thin white paper, sharp black ink from XL Recordings also featuring Baby-Dee singing Let Me Be Your Fantasy live, club phone number, descriptions of security rules and lighting effects etc ... only 300 people on average at every rave at Shellys in Stoke on Trent bah blah blah ... what was I thinking ..
McAvennie_Offline
OBE
PostPosted: 09-09-2014 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've a stand-up cardboard cutout for the Star Wars: Episode I PlayStation game that my mate brought back from his job at Blockbuster video when I was at uni. Looking back I can't even remember how it got back from uni in Teesside to my Mum's place just outside London. There it stays though, up in the loft, gathering dust.

EDIT: Along with my boxed ESB-era Millennium Falcon! Smile

Which, I've just seen is going for $1,500 on eBay! Surprised

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Star-Wars-Millennium-Falcon-Toy-Sound-1981-17X22X6-/231304663861?pt=TV_Movie_Character_Toys_US&hash=item35dad51335
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
PostPosted: 09-09-2014 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

People can list on Ebay with any price they want... doesn't mean they'll get it.
MoookstaOffline
Muppet
Total posts: 1956
PostPosted: 10-09-2014 07:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swifty wrote:
I introduced new kids to the holy trilogy. Most of them came back next term covered in SW stuff and toys

Excellent!! There are worse things for kids to be "into".

McAvennie_ wrote:

EDIT: Along with my boxed ESB-era Millennium Falcon! Smile

Impressive, most impressive. Given the Disney buy out...keep it like that. In a hundred years anything predating Disney will be worth an awful lot of money IMO.
dreenessOffline
Teen Titans Forum TGNMemory
Total posts: 1201
PostPosted: 10-09-2014 09:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you scrounge around in stores in out of the way places, you can often find rare collectibles just gathering dust, and priced ridiculously low. I have found things like old Mego action figures, Gargoyles action figures, X Files stuff, lots of Star Trek stuff (including a Dinky Toy Starship Enterprise), but so far not a plastic cape Jawa action figure, which is sort of the Holy Grail because so few were made before they switched to cloth capes, they are worth thousands.
McAvennie_Offline
OBE
PostPosted: 10-09-2014 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreeness wrote:
If you scrounge around in stores in out of the way places, you can often find rare collectibles just gathering dust, and priced ridiculously low. I have found things like old Mego action figures, Gargoyles action figures, X Files stuff, lots of Star Trek stuff (including a Dinky Toy Starship Enterprise), but so far not a plastic cape Jawa action figure, which is sort of the Holy Grail because so few were made before they switched to cloth capes, they are worth thousands.

Original Snaggletooth wearing a vinyl Jawa cape... Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: