Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Antiques and Auctions on TV
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 26170
PostPosted: 20-10-2014 20:49    Post subject: Antiques and Auctions on TV Reply with quote

There seem to be more and more TV progammes based on antiques. (I'm not complaining - I'm a fan!)

Was the venerable Antiques Roadshow the very first?

Followed (in no particular order) by Bargain Hunt, Flog It!, Dickinson's Real Deal, Antiques Road Trip, and Put your Money where your Mouth is.

Then there's Cash in the Attic, and probably others I've forgotten.

These programmes seem to combine the attractions of a trivia quiz with the drama of the auction room, where anything can happen, and frequently does! Sometimes the 'experts' are confounded, and sometimes their estimates (however wacky) prove spot on.

My interest in antiques started when I discovered the Lovejoy books. Usually daft and improbable plots, but combined with fascinating technical detail about antiques genuine and faked!

Any more thoughts out in Fort land?
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9664
PostPosted: 20-10-2014 21:00    Post subject: Re: Antiques and Auctions on TV Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:
There seem to be more and more TV progammes based on antiques. (I'm not complaining - I'm a fan!)

I remember 'Going for a Song' from my youth.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 20-10-2014 21:10    Post subject: Re: Antiques and Auctions on TV Reply with quote

Mythopoeika wrote:
rynner2 wrote:

I remember 'Going for a Song' from my youth.

You're right!
Quote:
Going for a Song was an antiques quiz show broadcast by the BBC from 1965-1977. It was a forerunner of the Antiques Roadshow. The original television series was hosted by presenter Max Robertson, with Arthur Negus appearing as the resident expert and antique valuer.[1] Revivals of the programme were made in the 1990s, hosted by Michael Parkinson (1995-1999),[2] and Anne Robinson (2000), with Eric Knowles as the resident antiques expert, and in 2001 by Michael Aspel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_for_a_Song
FrideswideOffline
Very Trying
Total posts: 387
PostPosted: 20-10-2014 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to watch Arthur Negus with my gran on a tiny black and white Smile It is the one with the automaton bird singing?

Haven't read any Lovejoy books but did watch a few of the telly series. I remember one where a lamp when lit cast the shadow of a martello tower. Actually that sounds highly improbable now Confused
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 20-10-2014 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frideswide wrote:
Used to watch Arthur Negus with my gran on a tiny black and white Smile It is the one with the automaton bird singing?

I believe so.

Quote:
Haven't read any Lovejoy books but did watch a few of the telly series. I remember one where a lamp when lit cast the shadow of a martello tower. Actually that sounds highly improbable now Confused

I never caught up with the TV series. But the Lovejoy books are set in Essex, and there are several Martello towers on the coast there.
garrick92Offline
Invisible Flaneur
Total posts: 1352
PostPosted: 20-10-2014 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regard those auction-based bargain hunt-type progs with a huge degree of scepticism. I bet the average viewer has no idea how much of your profit ends up in the auction house's pockets and the taxman's (you even have to pay a sum if your item doesn't sell, ffs!). Just keeping a mental track of the sort of cut they take from the end sum can mean the "winners" of the show could barely scratch a living if they pulled off the same stunt several times a day, every day, for the rest of their sorry-ass lives.

Ever sold anything on eBay? Then you've got the basic idea of what happens to your 'winnings' after everyone's had their bit. IRL auctioning is far, far worse and is just prettified gambling, imho. The house never loses.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 20-10-2014 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

garrick92 wrote:
I regard those auction-based bargain hunt-type progs with a huge degree of scepticism. I bet the average viewer has no idea how much of your profit ends up in the auction house's pockets and the taxman's (you even have to pay a sum if your item doesn't sell, ffs!).

Well, many of the progs I've watched do mention the house commission (which varies from place to place), and the VAT. It's the old, old story, Caveat Emptor.

As for "The house never loses", why should it? It's providing a service for people wanting to flog off their old junk. Why should the house do this for free?

Auctioning stuff is not gambling. You can set a reserve on your item, and if the bidding does not reach that level, your item is not sold.

And from the buyer's end, no-one forces him to pay more than he wants.

Auctioneering is an old and established trade, which has survived because it meets the needs of sellers and buyers.
garrick92Offline
Invisible Flaneur
PostPosted: 20-10-2014 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rynner, it's got to the stage where you'd disagree with me if I said the sky was blue, so I'm not going to go hugely in depth on this one. I've set out my position, so will confine myself to the following clarifications:

rynner2 wrote:
Auctioning stuff is not gambling. You can set a reserve on your item, and if the bidding does not reach that level, your item is not sold.

Drop the other shoe: "And that means you made a loss buying the item that no-one wants to buy at the lowest price you wanted."

A rough-and-ready definition of gambling might be: "To take a risk in the hope of gaining an advantage or a benefit."

I think auctioneering (I mean the 'hobby lifestyle' rather than the profession) fits that bill rather nicely.

Quote:
And from the buyer's end, no-one forces him to pay more than he wants.

Yeah, and no-one forces anyone to bet their life savings on a single gee-gee race, do they? But people still do it. Even if your only auction experience comes from eBaying, you have experienced the lust, desire and frantic recalculation of what you can afford to bid that is the true characteristic of gambling.

Gambling can be addictive. I bet auctioneering can, which is why there are so many poor sods trying to scratch a living selling 'vintage' 20th Century crap online. They're always a sale away from the bigtime.

Quote:
Auctioneering is an old and established trade, which has survived because it meets the needs of sellers and buyers.

So is prostitution.
garrick92Offline
Invisible Flaneur
PostPosted: 20-10-2014 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading that back, I can see that my tone could be badly misread. It would be dishonest to edit and add a 'wink' icon after that "sky is blue" remark at the outset, so please take it as read.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 20-10-2014 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

garrick92 wrote:
Quote:

So is prostitution.

Well, I give up! Your irrefutable logic has me flummoxed!

Not! Twisted Evil
garrick92Offline
Invisible Flaneur
PostPosted: 20-10-2014 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was just a comment. You seemed to be attaching some kind of cultural value to the 'venerability' of auctions. I was just identifying the world's actual oldest trade, by way of comparison.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 20-10-2014 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

garrick92 wrote:
Drop the other shoe: "And that means you made a loss buying the item that no-one wants to buy at the lowest price you wanted."

You seem to think that most people buy stuff to make a profit.

A few do, but most people buy stuff because they like it, and/or to add to their collection of similar items.

A perfectly harmless hobby, IMHO.
garrick92Offline
Invisible Flaneur
PostPosted: 20-10-2014 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on, you've segued from "selling" to "buying".

My comment concerned the fact that if you set a reserve and fail to reach it, you've made a loss on your original purchase. Antiques and whatnot don't just grow on trees, unless you're lucky enough to inherit a stately home or something.

And of course, antiques ARE an investment -- which is why there are expert evaluators and even an "Antiques and art" squad at Scotland Yard. It would be naïve to ignore that many buyers are also profit motivated themselves.

The future is unwritten, but who knows how the markets might fluctuate? Antique books, for example, are at a very low ebb right now and have been "stagnant" for years, but I personally suspect values will surge again as digital publishing and reading eventually becomes the established normality. Then there will be a scramble to snap up the fragile relics of the papery past.

See? Little tip there for you. Get ahead of the game. Don't tell me you aren't tempted ...
Wink
bunnymousekittOffline
rabbity mousey cat-like thing
Total posts: 329
PostPosted: 21-10-2014 07:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frideswide wrote:

Haven't read any Lovejoy books but did watch a few of the telly series.

I adored the Lovejoy books and TV series. Now my teenage kids are crazy about them too...though I'm pretty sure a shady antiques dealer is a terrible role model. Laughing

We used to watch Bargain Hunt when it was on BBC America, and of course the old stand-by, Antiques Roadshow on PBS. I can't think of any others around here, besides Pawn Stars which is obviously not the rarefied auction house atmosphere but the rough and tumble pawn shop. They do still get some interesting antiques at times, though.

Oh, and an excuse to post my favorite TV promo of all time, for Antiques Roadshow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91sHDoufhAg
)I love the expressions on the people's faces - it cracks me up every time. Smile )
CarlosTheDJOffline
Dazed and confused for so long its not true
Total posts: 1973
PostPosted: 21-10-2014 10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antiques Roadshow has been a Sunday tradition for my entire life, absolutely perfect end to the week.

Our daily ritual of Pointless on the iPlayer over dinner has now been ruined as they're running repeats of episodes we've seen, and Antiques Road Trip has filled that gap admirably.

The combo of antiques and travel show works a treat.

Now can we stop moaning about what colour the sky is and get back to the important business of valuing tat please?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: