Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Cats and people - what are they like?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25681
PostPosted: 26-08-2014 16:35    Post subject: Cats and people - what are they like?! Reply with quote

Yes, it's a brand new Cats thread!

Should I rescue a stray cat on holiday?
If you've ever been abroad and dreamt about taking a stray cat home with you, here is how you should do it
By Natalie Paris
12:50PM BST 26 Aug 2014

Have you ever eaten out in a sunny country only to be greeted by a mewing, skin-and-bones cat? Which, by desert, has worked its way into your heart, leaving you seriously considering adopting it and taking it home?

No? Then this article is probably not for you. Yes? Then you will empathise with Ali Gill, a British holidaymaker who this summer spent £1,000 and two months re-homing a starving kitten she met on the Greek island of Tilos.

Stray, pitifully hungry cats are a common sight on Greek islands.
But are holidaymakers’ whims of “rescuing” them to be encouraged? Or even practical? Ms Gill’s commendable efforts to find a better life for “Squeak” – an undeniably cute silver tabby with only half a tail and an injured leg – began by feeding the “plucky” animal titbits.

According to a report in the Daily Mail, she decided to save him after hearing how, come winter, the island’s cat population drops substantially when the summer tourists head home. There were even scare stories a few years ago about cats in Corfu being poisoned once the tourist season was over.

“Despite his injuries he looked so lovely and healthy,” she told the newspaper, “not like so many of the other strays on the island and I didn't want him to end up like all the rest.”

After trying unsuccessfully to find a home for him on the island, she phoned around for advice and found Airborne Pets, who told her that cats can only be transported from Rhodes to the UK in the hold of the plane. The fact that the flight would cost her between £540 and £680 did not put her off. Added to this were vets bills for a microchip, inoculations and a pet passport, flea and ear mite treatments, a ferry ticket to Rhodes, an airline-approved crate and three weeks in kennels before the kitten was given the all clear to fly.
A taxi driver had to drive Squeak from the kennels to the airport, as Ms Gill could not stay and wait in Greece.

With the British love of pets, and holidaymakers becoming attached to stray cats on islands in Spain and resorts in Turkey too, controls on bringing animals back into the UK are strict. For entry without the need to be quarantined, dogs, cats and ferrets must also receive a rabies vaccination followed by a 21-day wait before entering, according to the Home Office.

They also need to be microchipped (you must make sure the animal has the microchip before the rabies vaccination, otherwise the jab won't count), have a pet passport, and to travel with an authorised transport company on an authorised route. The Government list of approved routes by sea and rail can be found here and by air here.

It is normal practice for the airline to cover flight and UK handling charges in their pet ticket price, the Home Office advises. You may wish to check this when making your booking. No charges are made by Defra, the food and rural affairs ministry.

Dogs also need treatment against tapeworms at least 24 hours before the flight. Vets are required to adequately record these details in the pet’s passport, or, if outside the EU, through an official veterinary certificate.
The transport company may also require a vet’s certificate stating that the animal is fit to travel.

Pets cannot travel in cabins, should not be sedated and should not become stressed during the flight, with the IATA Live animal regulations ensuring that all animals that travel by air do so in comfort.

Companies such as Airborne Pets (airbornepets.com), used by Ms Gill, can provide a full import process for pets, including the necessary UK import paperwork.

The final thing to remember is that, once they get here, those kittens will need looking after for an average of 15 years, or longer if they are lucky enough to live to the age of the world's oldest cat. Poppy died aged 24 in Bournemouth this June.

etc...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/11049750/Should-I-rescue-a-stray-cat-on-holiday.html

Right, now I can go around and nail up all the cat-flaps in the other threads! Twisted Evil
MoookstaOffline
Muppet
Total posts: 1929
PostPosted: 26-08-2014 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of the well chronicled "holiday romance".

It happened to Deirdre y'know...

I give it 6 months, it won't be the cat she met on holiday, he doesn't fit in...it only knows how to supervise the pool...or serve food....there are language problems....etc etc
Naughty_FelidOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 221
PostPosted: 27-08-2014 04:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moooksta wrote:
Reminds me of the well chronicled "holiday romance".

It happened to Deirdre y'know...

I give it 6 months, it won't be the cat she met on holiday, he doesn't fit in...it only knows how to supervise the pool...or serve food....there are language problems....etc etc

lulz very good. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: