Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
A Device to Communicate with Angels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Notes and Queries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 5731
PostPosted: 26-06-2013 00:03    Post subject: A Device to Communicate with Angels Reply with quote

Years ago, I recall seeing an engraving of a device to communicate with angels or spirits. Memory suggests it was not unlike a dressing-table but in place of the mirror there was a triangular or pyramidal superstructure on a column. This had an oval aperture through which, presumably, the spirits could enter the world.

My immediate source was a library book borrowed in the 1970s but the engraving was probably from the 1600s or 1700s. Athanasius Kircher seemed the natural source but despite browsing images from his works, I have never since seen this engraving.

The picture was so matter-of-fact that as a boy of eleven or so, I recall peering into second-hand furniture shops in the (forlorn) hope they might have such a thing among their stock, awaiting recognition!

Has anyone seen this print? Question
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9702
PostPosted: 26-06-2013 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they used a funny little tin trumpet to summon angels?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Notes and Queries All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: