Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Dangerously low planes?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Notes and Queries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dingo667Offline
I'm strange...but true
Total posts: 1813
PostPosted: 12-07-2013 11:07    Post subject: Dangerously low planes? Reply with quote

Every now and then, we hear a really loud rumbling noise which seems to go on for far longer than it would take a plane to fly by.

Having said that, I have no doubt that it is an aeroplane. I'd just like to know which one?
It happened the other day in town again.
Got out of car and this noise starts. It is quite deep [makes me think that it has to be large and heavy] and it always sounds as if the plane is far too low for comfort. It is also incredibly loud and it lasts for maybe a minute or so.
Now, I have a fear of planes falling on my head, so I am always looking up to check their trajectory if they where to fall. [Yeah, I know Rolling Eyes ] but with these particular ones you can never see them [even though they sound as if they were only meters over your head]. Everyone in the car park looked up.
It is a sound that is too close to danger and it makes people uncomfortable.

This happens regularly in this area, but not too often.

These sounds are NOT to be compared to those 'unexplainable earth noises a while back. They are definitively from an aircraft.

And this is my question: I love planes [if they don't fall on my head tongue ] and would like to know if there is anyone who knows his aeroplanes and who can tell me which model this is?
I need to see a picture of that monstrum!
bigphoot1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 679
PostPosted: 12-07-2013 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you live near an airbase or a remote area where the RAF do low flying?
Dingo667Offline
I'm strange...but true
PostPosted: 12-07-2013 12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigphoot1 wrote:
Do you live near an airbase or a remote area where the RAF do low flying?

I think so, we live 45min drive from Cambridge [UK of course], there must be a few. There is also an airport in Cambs and also the Duxford famous airfield. Does that help in determining the kind of plane?
Dingo667Offline
I'm strange...but true
PostPosted: 12-07-2013 12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I found this. The noise is exactly like the low rumbling part of this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBQ66V9tZBU
without the high whining of the engines. Now, the length also fits.
However, look how close he is to get the same effect. It does sound as if it is exactly as close as the plane on the video but you can NEVER see them anywhere. Meaning that they must be higher up and just have a strange engine effect.

Hope that helps. I'm searching myself at the moment but it is quite hard to find anything.
ChrisBoardmanOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 762
PostPosted: 12-07-2013 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is Honington, Mildenheall and lakenheath airports with 5 miles of each other,
Dingo667Offline
I'm strange...but true
PostPosted: 12-07-2013 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really great. As I said, I am aware that it is definitely an aeroplane, not a UFO or anything. So it's a good thing that there are airports around.

What I am really after is:
Does anyone now know what type of aeroplane is known to make such a noise/ for fly low?
What is the name of the aeroplane that is making such a noise?
bigphoot1Offline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 13-07-2013 04:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lakenheath is home to the 48th Fighter Wing of the USAF who fly F15Es (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-15E) and Mildenhall has KC-135s (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KC135) both pretty noisy planes.

Depending on the weather conditions the sound can travel a fair distance, I live about 5 miles from RAF Leuchars and quite often I find myself looking up when I hear a Typhoon (another wonderfully loud plane) only to realise it's a dot in the distance.
Dingo667Offline
I'm strange...but true
PostPosted: 13-07-2013 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigphoot1 wrote:
Lakenheath is home to the 48th Fighter Wing of the USAF who fly F15Es (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-15E) and Mildenhall has KC-135s (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KC135) both pretty noisy planes.

Depending on the weather conditions the sound can travel a fair distance, I live about 5 miles from RAF Leuchars and quite often I find myself looking up when I hear a Typhoon (another wonderfully loud plane) only to realise it's a dot in the distance.

Ah, thank you, that will give me something to start with! am going to read up on them. Very Happy

edited to add:
OK, I had a 'listen to those two aircraft jets and even one graphic sound:
http://www.videoblocks.com/videos/details/jet-kc135-pass-by-fly-103194/

and all I can say is, that the noises are too 'high' in pitch and obviously have the doppler effect.

If you take the peak of the sound [above, around 19 sec in] and keep it there for about 3 minutes without changing pitch or anything else then we come closer to what those airplanes sound like that I am after.

1. How do they keep the low rumbling noise 'static' [I.e no doppler effect], as if it is really high up and takes ages to fly over, which however doesn't fit in with the fact that it sounds extremely low. Or as if they are hovering [but that is also out of question, as they move on eventually with the sound trailing off].

2. Maybe it is not so much a certain make of plane as the way it is being flown? Why does it seem to take so long to pass?

3. Does anyone else know what I am on about? This is really bugging me as I need to be able to picture what is flying over me when I hear it again.
Oh, and next time I won't be stuck like deer in headlights and actually try to record it Smile [Never crossed my mind before because I thought everyone knew what the noise is].
bigphoot1Offline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 13-07-2013 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, maybe they aren't flying but sitting on the runway with the engines running for testing purposes, which would explain why they aren't seen.
Dingo667Offline
I'm strange...but true
PostPosted: 14-07-2013 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigphoot1 wrote:
Just a thought, maybe they aren't flying but sitting on the runway with the engines running for testing purposes, which would explain why they aren't seen.

You know, that would be the best answer, if we weren't so far from any airport. I can tell you the town: March, Cambridgeshire, UK
I have also heard it in Wisbech, which is our next town.
It does indeed sound as if you are just standing next to a massive plane.

I find this now quite intriguing. Whilst I am obviously sure it is a plane, if nobody can come up with an explanation, maybe there is more to it [I mean as in secret airplanes, MOD tests etc].

I mean people hear it, but all assume that it must be something military they don't know and they are fine with that. I love planes and I am curious about this.
IamSundogOffline
The FTMB member previously known as Sundog
Total posts: 1808
PostPosted: 16-07-2013 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that if they are passing low overhead, the sound would be loud but of short duration. And there'd be a pronounced doppler effect.

You say there's no doppler effect and the sound is very loud for three minutes? Sounds mysterious to me.
Dingo667Offline
I'm strange...but true
PostPosted: 18-07-2013 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

IamSundog wrote:
I would think that if they are passing low overhead, the sound would be loud but of short duration. And there'd be a pronounced doppler effect.

You say there's no doppler effect and the sound is very loud for three minutes? Sounds mysterious to me.

Yes, thank you for reading my post in detail. Today [only about an hour ago] I think one of those flew by again. I am quite sure it is the same kind, because of the sound but there were two major differences.

Firstly, it was as high up as a plane should. Meaning that whilst it was noisy, it was as you'd expect. The other ones sound literally as if they are only a few meters over your head with the biggest engine you can imagine. It isn't just loud, it is frightening.

Furthermore, this one flew by. Meaning that the sound got first louder, then stayed for maybe 30 seconds, then went away slowly.
However today I noticed that the weird thing is that it seems to go one step forward two steps back.

So when you think it has gone quieter, it gets louder again! Then it seems to go away and immediately sounds just as loud again.

This is the same pattern as with the really close ones. The one this morning lasted for about 2 min. But as I said, it was very high up. Again, could not see anything either but then I never have!

I really need to know if there are maybe certain engines that have this fingerprint sound?

I also want to add again that the sound seems to 'rip' the air apart. Very hard to describe. I have been to air-shows and stood under jets flying by so close you could see the screws but they all sounded just the way you'd expect. None, even the heavier ones have this lingering quality and the excessive repeating noise.

Will I ever find out?
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 8588
PostPosted: 19-07-2013 08:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard the same effect myself (I live under two different flight paths), but don't know what causes it. I've emailed an old mate who works around jets every day to see if he can shed any light on it.
Dingo667Offline
I'm strange...but true
PostPosted: 19-07-2013 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuneville wrote:
I've heard the same effect myself (I live under two different flight paths), but don't know what causes it. I've emailed an old mate who works around jets every day to see if he can shed any light on it.

Brilliant! Thanks Very Happy
Spudrick68Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1212
PostPosted: 19-07-2013 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who has recently passed as a pilot. I'll ask him too when he gets back from holiday. You never know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Notes and Queries All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: