Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Kids arrested for burping, spilling milk, etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Conspiracy - The War on Terror
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Human_84Offline
We wont hurt you human.
Total posts: 1242
PostPosted: 14-07-2013 15:08    Post subject: Kids arrested for burping, spilling milk, etc. Reply with quote

This is interesting. Shocked

Quote:
#2 A 13-year-old student at a school in Albuquerque, New Mexico was recently arrested by police for burping in class.

Quote:
#5 One teenage couple down in Houston poured milk on each other during a squabble while they were breaking up. Instead of being sent to see the principal, they were arrested and sent to court.

There's plenty more, at this link: http://intellihub.com/2013/07/13/a-list-of-19-children-recently-arrested-for-trivial-things/
Human_84Offline
We wont hurt you human.
PostPosted: 14-07-2013 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 more.... these are great, too.

Quote:
#18 A 6-year-old boy was recently charged with sexual battery for some “inappropriate touching” during a game of tag at one elementary school in the San Francisco area.

Quote:
#19 In Massachusetts, police were recently sent out to collect an overdue library book from a 5-year-old girl.
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9664
PostPosted: 14-07-2013 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, America has become a scary place.
Human_84Offline
We wont hurt you human.
PostPosted: 14-07-2013 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythopoeika wrote:
Wow, America has become a scary place.

Come and join us! Well, I'm not even there anymore.
IamSundogOffline
The FTMB member previously known as Sundog
Total posts: 1804
PostPosted: 17-07-2013 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent some time browsing the source - intellihub.com - and it's clear that this is a site with an Agenda with a capital A. I don't doubt that there are some crazy abuses along these lines but I'm personally dubious that this info is free of distortion.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13092
PostPosted: 17-07-2013 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, when you hear someone's been arrested for burping, you can be fairly sure you're not getting the whole story.
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
Total posts: 1872
PostPosted: 21-07-2013 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah, when you hear someone's been arrested for burping, you can be fairly sure you're not getting the whole story.

I don't know what the whole story is in this case, the Huffington Post has also covered that one however and it sounds rather nasty:

Quote:
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- A 13-year-old was handcuffed and hauled off to a juvenile detention for burping in class, according to a lawsuit filed against an Albuquerque school principal, a teacher and school police officer.

The boy was transported without his parents being notified in May after he "burped audibly" in PE class and his teacher called a school resource officer to complain he was disrupting her class. The lawsuit also details a separate Nov. 8 incident when the same student was forced to strip down to his underwear while five adults watched as he was accused of selling pot to another student; the boy was never charged

The suit was one of two filed Wednesday by civil rights attorney Shannon Kennedy, who says she has been fighting the district and police for years over the use of force with problem children. She says a review of school and Bernalillo County records shows more than 200 school kids have been handcuffed and arrested in the last three years for non-violent misdemeanors.

In the second lawsuit filed Wednesday, the parents of a 7-year-old boy with autism accuse a school officer of unlawful arrest for handcuffing the boy to a chair after he became agitated in class. New Mexico law prohibits officers and school officials from restraining children under 11.

The suits come one year after the same attorney settled a class action lawsuit against the district that was prompted by the arrest of a girl who Kennedy said "didn't want to sit by the stinky boy in class." And Kennedy says she has a number of other cases she is preparing over treatment of students in Albuquerque by school officials, school police, city police and sheriff's officers.

"I am trying to get all the stake holders in a room to get people properly trained to prevent this from happening," Kennedy said.

Kennedy said the problem lies with the schools more than with the law enforcement agencies.

"It lands in the lap of the principal. There are good schools and bad schools. The principals ... who are handling their schools properly don't need to have children arrested. It's ridiculous."

A spokesman for Albuquerque Public Schools did not immediately return calls and emails seeking comment on Thursday. A police spokeswoman said the department does not comment on litigation.

One school board member, Lorenzo Garcia, said he had not seen and could not comment on the lawsuits, but he did say he was concerned about what appeared to be schools getting stuck on a "zero tolerance policy."

"Really, in my opinion, this really increases the whole idea of the schools-to-prison pipeline," he said.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 13092
PostPosted: 21-07-2013 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the scary bit:
Quote:
"Really, in my opinion, this really increases the whole idea of the schools-to-prison pipeline," he said.

It's a pipeline? We've all heard the accusations of the US prison system being a lucrative method of free labour, but are they really planning ahead by breeding their convicts from school onwards?
IamSundogOffline
The FTMB member previously known as Sundog
Total posts: 1804
PostPosted: 21-07-2013 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know what the whole story is in this case, the Huffington Post has also covered that one however and it sounds rather nasty:

Look, teachers have to be able to maintain discipline and the burper is clearly a trouble maker. I mean, he got strip searched previously, what more proof do you need?

I'm kidding. And I stand corrected. Something is clearly wack in Albuquerque. I guess if you want to teach kids to hate authority and rules and orderly society, this is the way to do it.
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
Total posts: 1872
PostPosted: 24-08-2013 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this belongs here:

Quote:
Judge to serve 28 years after making $2 million for sending black children to jail

Judge Mark A. Ciavarella, 63, serves as an example of why the private prison industry can do more harm than good. Ciavarella worked alongside owners of private juvenile facilities to ensure that the prison remained occupied. The more prisoners equated to more profits for the owners of the prison.

As a result, Ciavarella would sentence offenders with small offenses to months and, at times, years behind bars. He once sentenced a teen to three months in jail for creating a MySpace page that mocked her school’s assistant principal. Ciavarella also sentenced another teen to 90 days in jail after a simple schoolyard fight.

But after a federal investigation, it was discovered that Ciavarella and his colleague, Judge Michael Conahan, received more than $2.6 million from privately run youth centers owned by PA Child Care. In 2011, Ciavarella was convicted of racketeering and sentenced to 28 years in prison. He was also forced to pay $1 million in restitution.

Once Ciavarella was convicted, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court tossed out 4,000 convictions issued by the judge.

Ciavarella appealed to the Third Circuit Court of Appeals in Philadelphia to have his 28-year sentence overturned. On July 25, the court denied his request.

Ciavarella’s attorneys may attempt to appeal the case before the U.S. Supreme Court.

Rolling Out
WeirdIslandOffline
Grey
Total posts: 2
PostPosted: 16-09-2013 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this sort of thing is confined to just the States, sadly. There was a case recently where a 10yr old girl was 'warned' by the police that she could face a charge of criminal damage for drawing a game of hopscotch on a pavement .

One thing to bear in mind: this is the Daily Mail!http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2321841/Police-warn-girl-10-chalk-hopscotch-grid-pavement-outside-home-criminal-damage.html

That said, I've seen/heard of enough run-ins with officialdom to be prepared to accept that there's a general culture of heavy-handedness at work. Whether what gets reported reflects what actually happened is, of course, the point here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Conspiracy - The War on Terror All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: