Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Ray Mears on Thylacines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - mystery quadrupeds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lordmongroveOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1032
PostPosted: 20-07-2013 12:38    Post subject: Ray Mears on Thylacines Reply with quote

http://www.cfzaustralia.com/2013/07/uk-survival-expert-ray-mears-chases.html

Ray Mears on the Tazzy Wolf
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2227
PostPosted: 20-07-2013 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is on Wednesday and I must say I'm particularly looking forward to it. Although it does sound depressing viewing with an 80% reduction in the devil population in 20 years from disease.

Few minor niggles with the article firstly;

Quote:
Doug Westbrook, co-proprietor of the Tiger Bar of Mole Creek says: “My wife arrived home, burst in the door…she looked like a ghost and she said, ‘I’ve just seen a tiger’. She saw this dog-like animal walking across, like it had a broken back. Because it’s a marsupial it doesn’t walk like a dog it walks like a kangaroo.”

Oh f.ck off Doug.

Secondly;

Quote:
The government takes sightings seriously enough to employ a government officer. Nick Mooney has worked for the Tasmanian government for 35 years.

Nick Mooney is not employed in this role, although all reports are I believe still forwarded to him, they're no longer actively investigated in an official sense.

Lastly;

Quote:
Nick says: “There’s a very interesting twist to this whole thing in that with this devil disease we have less devils than in many, many decades in Tasmania and devils would be a problem for Thylacines. It would be very hard for a very rare Thylacine to raise pups where devils were very common. So you have your major competitor drastically reduced in numbers, more wallabies in Tasmania than probably ever in history, still quite a bit of habitat. We should have Thylacines pouring out our ears.”

A bit misleading that, Mooney has said this before with the intended inference being; had there been any left we'd be up to our necks in them, but we aren't.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - mystery quadrupeds All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: