Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Posts in the wrong sections

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Web site issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marionXXXOffline
Un-Gnoing
Total posts: 2961
PostPosted: 28-09-2013 17:18    Post subject: Posts in the wrong sections Reply with quote

I'm getting fed up with going to certain sections and finding endless boring copy and pastes of news articles that have little to do with the subject, it was the cemetery thread in ghosts that has prompted this complaint, there are news stories there about cemeteries that have nothing to do with ghosts at all, why are they there?
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18409
PostPosted: 28-09-2013 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's because, well, as ghosts don't hang around cemeteries there aren't any cemetery ghost stories! Laughing
YithianOffline
Keeping the British end up
Total posts: 11943
PostPosted: 29-09-2013 03:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we need to reduce the number of cut & paste stories from the BBC in the Fortean fora. I don't care what goes on in chat and mainstream news.
escargot1Offline
PostPosted: 29-09-2013 07:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I need to mention a news item I post a quote and a link to the story. No need for big blocks of text. They are harder to read than on the original page.

Also, we want to see the original with our own eyes. Wink

Must point out though that on certain conspiracy boards, where a poster wishes to discuss another poster's contribution every word of the post is quoted. This may be to prevent retrospective editing.

Makes for very long posts. Laughing
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 29-09-2013 10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hate it when the original disappears, though.
escargot1Offline
PostPosted: 29-09-2013 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

That won't happen when it's a reputable source.

Unless the site is told to take something down for legal reasons, in which case it would be removed from here pretty sharpish anyway.
EnolaGaiaOffline
Total posts: 1549
PostPosted: 29-09-2013 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pietro_Mercurios wrote:
I really hate it when the original disappears, though.

Agreed ...

It bears pointing out that there are different modes of effective 'disappearance' - all of which can be cited as evidence in favor of posting full text to ensure it survives ...

First, of course, is literal disappearance - i.e., the material is deleted entirely.

Second is virtual disappearance by way of relocation. Some news sites move older articles into archival locations for which the original URL's are no longer valid or accessibility is limited (e.g., behind paywalls).

Third is change induced by editing / updating. In some cases, news sites simply append newly-arriving text to existing web content. In other cases, they may overwrite or rewrite the original copy to accommodate updates and changes. In yet other cases, they may post an entirely new article with a different URL.
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 6111
PostPosted: 29-09-2013 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I suggest that posters who are afraid of stories disappearing can always save a copy on their own drives. When links go down, the relevant texts can be re-posted complete - if absolutely necessary - or selectively, which is kinder to everyone.

If anyone says they have no space for such storage, I would ask them to review the amount of copying and pasting they are doing. Too often, we are asked to wade through material that should be the footnotes to a case which is never actually made.

Long articles from elsewhere are seldom justified: if I have missed them in my own browsing, it may be their appeal needs to be explained to me or I will miss them again. Given the abysmal quality of so much print and online journalism, we need to sift the content for gems as well as turds. What we don't need is a bigger platform for all the latter! kiss

edit: "actually" added at end of 2nd paragraph. Two literals trapped and killed.
escargot1Offline
PostPosted: 29-09-2013 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH I hardly think it matters. If I see a load of C'n'P coming up I glance at the title, the source and the name of the poster, and then armed with the gist and the probable level of interest I decide whether to continue reading.

If it does seem interesting I click on the link to the original as that page will offer the full text (without added smileys Rolling Eyes ) and will be easier on the eye than a block of text on here would be.
I never read a whole article on here.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 24077
PostPosted: 29-09-2013 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

escargot1 wrote:

I never read a whole article on here.

Nor me, if it has been put in pesky Quote tags.

A quotation is a short extract from another body of work, used to bolster or support whatever whatever position you are maintaining.

eg:
Quote:
Quotations are used for a variety of reasons: to illuminate the meaning or to support the arguments of the work in which it is being quoted, to provide direct information about the work being quoted (whether in order to discuss it, positively or negatively), to pay homage to the original work or author, to make the user of the quotation seem well-read, and/or to comply with copyright law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation

Therefore to put a whole article (or a large part thereof) in Quote tags is to misuse the tags.

And as Scarg points out, since the quote tags reduce the font size, a large body of text becomes unreadable.

Although I often do post whole articles, I carefully edit them to remove picture captions, side bars, and other extraneous stuff. But if sidebars, graphs, pictures and videos are important to the article I usually mention this so that those interested can check for themselves, as I always give the URL.

I like to think that my editing often makes a text more readable, by not sticking to the format of the original page, but putting paragraph breaks between blocks of related material, so that it's more obvious who said what, and to emphasise when the speaker changes when there's lots of reported speech.*

But no system's perfect, so you won't please all the people all the time.

(Sorry about the smilies, Scarg! Wink )

* I also do it to ensure I've read something properly and I've understood what was going on!
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14377
PostPosted: 29-09-2013 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every poster has their own style, so I'm not that bothered. If something sounds interesting to me, I'll read or watch it. I think you could go mad trying to fit everything into its perfect category, though. That said, some are more obvious than others and loads of minithreads on the same subject offends the tidier mind.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 29-09-2013 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for Posting in the wrong Section, I (and I guess many others) don't bother too much about which forum a story goes in, but simply look for similar stories, and post it with them.

So if I find a story about graveyards, I look for other graveyard stories and post it with them, without noticing it was in the ghosts forum.

Every good story is unique, and it can be hard to find the precise box to post it in. But for info there is another 'graveyard' thread which is not in Ghosts:
Gravestones and Epitaphs
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9679
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
PostPosted: 29-09-2013 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:
Every good story is unique, and it can be hard to find the precise box to post it in. But for info there is another 'graveyard' thread which is not in Ghosts:
Gravestones and Epitaphs
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9679

I started reading through this old thread - and noticed that some old links in it are now dead, a good reason to post more of an article than just its URL.

And although the thread is NOT in Ghosts, several posts do lean that way!
escargot1Offline
PostPosted: 29-09-2013 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paragraph breaks are always good! Very Happy
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 29-09-2013 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

escargot1 wrote:
Paragraph breaks are always good! Very Happy

I like them. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Web site issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: