Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
The Art of the Sitcom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris138Offline
Cretin
Total posts: 144
PostPosted: 20-10-2013 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrested Development is/was a sitcom shown on Fox for 3 series back in the mid to late 00's, and had a fourth series this year (?) on Netflix. Based around a corrupt business man and his somewhat strange family. Simply the best and funniest show ever. If you liked Seinfeld or Curb you'd probably like this.

I can't watch stuff like The IT Crowd, 2 Pints Of Lager, or any of those american shows that have 40 year olds playing young people ie. David Healy. Big Bang Theory (I cannot actually watch this show, it makes me angry)
MythopoeikaOffline
Boring petty conservative
Total posts: 10018
PostPosted: 20-10-2013 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris138 wrote:
Big Bang Theory (I cannot actually watch this show, it makes me angry)

Just curious...why?
liveinabin1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2255
PostPosted: 20-10-2013 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris138 wrote:
. Big Bang Theory (I cannot actually watch this show, it makes me angry)

I'm with you there. I think it's the 'laugh at the geeks' thing, it's too mocking.

I'm going to say again though, please watch Parks and Recreation, it just gets better and better. Rob Lowe's character it just wonderful.
chris138Offline
Cretin
PostPosted: 20-10-2013 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythopoeika wrote:
chris138 wrote:
Big Bang Theory (I cannot actually watch this show, it makes me angry)

Just curious...why?

Um, the really crap jokes, they seem obvious. Ever watch a show and think "I could do better"? That's how I feel, it's just not funny. My brother loves it but I can't be in the room if it's on. Same with CIS.

I hope you're not a writer for BBT.
MythopoeikaOffline
Boring petty conservative
Total posts: 10018
PostPosted: 21-10-2013 08:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris138 wrote:
I hope you're not a writer for BBT.

Haha, no. Laughing
Heckler20Offline
The Sockpuppet of
Total posts: 4874
PostPosted: 21-10-2013 10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBT is a complete mystery to me, I just don't see any jokes in it. My other half however loves it and finds it hilarious, horses for courses I suppose.

But then I struggle with a lot of sit-coms to see the com, friends is another good example and I remember a lot of the sit-coms growing up were just painful, Some Mothers do 'ave 'em or Last of the Summer Wine for example.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14381
PostPosted: 21-10-2013 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrested Development was absolutely superb, but I never saw the comeback season because I don't have Netflix, although I hear it wasn't a patch on the original run.

Anyway, I watched Toast of London last night and had a bit better luck with it than Man Down, I did laugh a few times because it was so ridiculous (Bruce Forsyth references will do that) though the swearing felt a bit self-conscious. One to stick with, and the theme tune is great, as you'd expect from Matt Berry.
chris138Offline
Cretin
PostPosted: 21-10-2013 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
Arrested Development was absolutely superb, but I never saw the comeback season because I don't have Netflix, although I hear it wasn't a patch on the original run.

I haven't seen it all, but it was ok. There was such a gap between the third and fourth season (5 or 6 years). It was good to see them back.
Anome_Offline
Faceless Man
Total posts: 5486
PostPosted: 22-10-2013 07:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heckler20 wrote:
BBT is a complete mystery to me, I just don't see any jokes in it. My other half however loves it and finds it hilarious, horses for courses I suppose.

I think part of the problem is that, despite its pretensions, it's not really a geek show. It just makes fun of stupid caricatures of what "normals" think geeks are. There are a lot of better geek comedies, but they all seem to have been cancelled.
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 10440
PostPosted: 22-10-2013 08:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBT reminds me of (later) Friends and every single episode ever of Will and Grace - a dense cloud of smugness at just how witty and clever it all is. It's a particularly US thing, the wannabe "sophisticated comedy", which believe that waspish comments constitute twenty something minutes of pant-wetting hilarity, with no need of any real plot or character development (see also Vicious over here - same problem.). The only US one that really got it right in that genre was Frasier, but they invested in the characters and the narrative was carefully drawn (many episodes function perfectly as mini-farces, expertly and subtly scripted and acted.)

Man Down. I so wanted it to be funny. The last ninety seconds were funny. Rik-the-Lion was funny for ten seconds, but the scene seemed to go on forever. I'll watch it once more, this coming weekend, but if it doesn't do it for me I'll walk (I've given up investing in things for too long in the vain hope they'll suddenly start working. I think I gained about a week of extra free time by abandoning Lost when I did.)
beakbooOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1097
Location: The Home for Bewildered Gentlebeaks, St Peter's Close.
PostPosted: 22-10-2013 10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nearly peed myself laughing at Toast of London (especially the "beak" parts). Man Down though, not sure. Ridiculously I felt it wasn't believable enough to be funny. I'd hardly call Toast realistic but somehow it was funny.
chris138Offline
Cretin
PostPosted: 22-10-2013 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone else get annoyed with laughter tracks?

There's a few shows that I watch that have these, and correct me if I'm wrong, but Fraiser, Seinfeld, Father Ted I can all stand because they're quite funny shows, and because I'd be engrossed I forget about it. But shows that aren't funny and have them, it just ruins the show.

I have a box set of MASH, thankfully you can switch the laughter track off, as it really annoys me on this show. I don't think the dark comedy fits with people laughing out loud!

They should do away with it. We will laugh if we find something funny.
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 22-10-2013 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuneville wrote:
... The only US one that really got it right in that genre was Frasier, but they invested in the characters and the narrative was carefully drawn (many episodes function perfectly as mini-farces, expertly and subtly scripted and acted.)

Have to put in a good word for Community, here. The first three series took US sitcom to a whole new level. They'd take an idea and set it up, no matter how ridiculous, then proceed to treat it with the utmost seriousness. Within the confines of Greenfield Community College, they waged war, escaped a zombie apocalypse, replayed Star Wars, survived premature launch of the Greenfield Space simulator and found themselves embroiled in ancient secret societies. And the ensemble cast rose triumphantly to every challenge.

I haven't watched much of season 4. It did seem to go off the boil a bit, but the first three seasons were magic and the characters were not only sympathetic and believable, but they grew and developed in interesting ways.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14381
PostPosted: 22-10-2013 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the behind the scenes story of Community is more like a tragicomedy, but Dan Harmon is back (putting rumours of drinking himself into a stupor at his desk to one side) for the fifth season, so it might pick up again. Then again, Chevy was sacked for being nasty and Donald has left and posted something on the internet about how he was actually really sad, so...
stunevilleOffline
Admin
Total posts: 10440
PostPosted: 28-10-2013 06:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone see part two of Man Down? An improvement on last week (not difficult, sadly) - so I think I'll give it one more try on Friday...

I have heard good things about Community - the examples I gave (eg Fraiser) were purely ones I'd actually seen. I used to voraciously consume any TV comedy going, but in recent years I got more and more jaded, especially with self-proclaimed "edgy" stuff, most of which isn't actually funny in the slightest, but instead relies on an Emperor's New Clothes schtick,that if you don't find it funny then you must an old square, daddy-o.

No, oik. Watch Chris Morris, or Charlie Brooker. That's edgy and funny.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: