Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
The Art of the Sitcom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18742
PostPosted: 28-10-2013 08:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get Charlie Brooker. He comes across as a bloke ranting in the pub. Used to read his Guardian column, trying to get the joke, but failed miserably. He has never once made me laugh.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14902
PostPosted: 28-10-2013 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't seen Brooker in ages, he must be getting fifty viewers on Sky like a lot of the Brit comedy talent ended up doing recently.

I gave up on Man Down, but I'm glad I stuck with Toast of London, it's really stupid but in a funny way, which is fine by me. Still loving the theme tune too.
davidplanktonOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 415
PostPosted: 28-10-2013 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
Still loving the theme tune too.

It's a song from his album Witch Hazel.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 29-10-2013 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that album! That explains why I like it. Time for another listen...
liveinabin1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2272
PostPosted: 30-10-2013 12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris138 wrote:
Does anyone else get annoyed with laughter tracks?

There's a few shows that I watch that have these, and correct me if I'm wrong, but Fraiser, Seinfeld, Father Ted I can all stand because they're quite funny shows, and because I'd be engrossed I forget about it. But shows that aren't funny and have them, it just ruins the show.

I have a box set of MASH, thankfully you can switch the laughter track off, as it really annoys me on this show. I don't think the dark comedy fits with people laughing out loud!

They should do away with it. We will laugh if we find something funny.

You should read to Graham Linehan on twitter about laughter tracks. He gets so angry with people claiming they were used. Most comedies that have laughter are filmed or shown to live audiences. Remember how at the beginning of Cheers it used to say 'Cheers is filmed in front of a live studio audience'?

I agree that it just doesn't suit some comedies, like MASH.

It has be interesting reading about and watching Toast of London and Man Down. I agree that Toast is the funnier. Strangely I think that for surreal humour to work it has to be completely surreal rather than just slightly odd.

Still, please watch Parks and Recreation if it comes back to BBC 4. It is one of those 'once in a generation' great comedies. I say that as someone who doesn't really like sitcoms, as said above, sitcom to me means stuff like Last of the Summer Wine.
chris138Offline
Cretin
Total posts: 155
PostPosted: 30-10-2013 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I borrowed season one of Parks and Recreation from a friend, havent got round to watching it yet. But if this weather continues, a night in with it won't be far off.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 30-10-2013 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems almost certain Parks and Rec is back on BBC Four next year.
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18742
PostPosted: 30-10-2013 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

MASH had real 'canned', i.e. dubbed on, laughter. It wasn't used for the original BBC showings.

Except for one night, when it was accidentally included, and I and several hundred other viewers rang to complain! Laughing

Now it's on Sky with the laugh track. Bleurrgh.
davidplanktonOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 415
PostPosted: 30-10-2013 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

escargot1 wrote:
MASH had real 'canned', i.e. dubbed on, laughter. It wasn't used for the original BBC showings.

I got the box set from the library which included the laughter. Couldn't watch past the first episode because of it.
chris138Offline
Cretin
Total posts: 155
PostPosted: 30-10-2013 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidplankton wrote:
escargot1 wrote:

I got the box set from the library which included the laughter. Couldn't watch past the first episode because of it.

Can't you switch it off, as I did, in the menu section. It is frustrating as you have to do so before each episode.

Quote:
Most comedies that have laughter are filmed or shown to live audiences.

Yes, but if no-one laughs, or they don't "LOL" they edit and add it. I remember watching a behind the scenes with Friends program, and this was the case, because no fucker laughed. I'm sure the vast majority of shows do this. So stop it. No one laughs when Joey picks his nose, therefore it's not funny, so they make people think it's funny with a laughter track.

So if you have a live television show, say Cheers, filmed in front of a live audience, each joke being told over and over, take after take after take after take. These are edited as the crowd cannot laugh at a joke they've heard many times already. They add canned laughter.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 31-10-2013 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind audience laughter in sitcoms, it's almost traditional, what annoys me is clapping at the jokes which was, for example, creeping into the last couple of episodes of Father Ted. There's something smug about applause like that.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 04-11-2013 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toast going bowling = Mr Hilarious.
dreenessOffline
Teen Titans Forum TGNMemory
Total posts: 1191
PostPosted: 07-11-2013 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the writing on many current sitcoms, when every line is intended to get a laugh, the laughs get cheaper, and coarser.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 07-11-2013 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind innuendo, I'm from the land of the saucy seaside postcard after all, but cheap laughs show a lack of imagination in sitcoms, which is probably why there are so many not so great ones. Makes the best examples shine a bit brighter, I suppose.
titchagainOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 114
PostPosted: 09-11-2013 11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody remember drop the dead donkey? it was very funny but i suspect due to its topical nature won't have aged well at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: