Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Leeds shopkeeper stunned at ‘WW1 ghost’ snap
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
Total posts: 1177
PostPosted: 14-10-2013 18:01    Post subject: Leeds shopkeeper stunned at ‘WW1 ghost’ snap Reply with quote

According to the Yorkshire Evening Post

Personally I think he looks more like he's up for a bit of sheep worrying. Confused

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/BlackRiverFalls/sheepworrying_zps425aa79c.jpg

Quote:
The haunting silhouette of a dead First World War soldier has appeared in the window of a Leeds shop, it is claimed.

Shopkeeper Alison Lambert, 41, was shocked when she was shown the spooky snap taken of her in front of her Box of Cards business, in Town Street, Farsley, during Farsley Festival earlier this year.

The photograph depicts what appears to be a man wearing First World War uniform holding a picture of nearby Farsley Cenotaph, which was on show as part of a locally-themed window display.

Convinced of its paranormal origin, Rodley resident Alison has researched names on the cenotaph and believes Driver Friend Peel, from 10th Battery 147th Brigade The Royal Field Artillery, is the man on show.

Driver Peel, 26, was killed on May 26 1915 – 98 years later, almost to the day, the picture of Alison was taken.

More on the link.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 24102
PostPosted: 14-10-2013 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't make out the soldier, or the cenotaph, in that picture. Reflections in the window glass might even be of the photographer!

We need blow-ups to proceed further. And it's probably pointless to ask, why would a ghost hold a picture of something erected after his death?
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
PostPosted: 14-10-2013 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easier to make out when enlarged, although not being able to resolve the picture of the cenotaph is a bit of a fail.

He definitely has his arm around the sheep though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/BlackRiverFalls/Sheepworrying2_zpse4cbd15c.jpg
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 24102
PostPosted: 14-10-2013 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneWingedBird wrote:
He definitely has his arm around the sheep though.

Are you sure that's his arm? Shocked
Ronson8Offline
Things can only get better.
Total posts: 6277
PostPosted: 14-10-2013 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had this on another thread somewhere, it's a reflection of a manikin placed in front of the shop window.
SpookdaddyOffline
Cuckoo
Total posts: 4229
PostPosted: 15-10-2013 08:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me ages to work out what I was supposed to be looking at (and how anyone can tell that's a WWI uniform is utterly beyond me).

Part of the reason it took me so long was that I was distracted by the bloke peering over the sheep's back (tip of nose - middle of back; 'soldier's' sleeve forming shadow right hand side of face - his right, that is).
Spudrick68Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1222
PostPosted: 15-10-2013 10:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a slow news week there?
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
PostPosted: 15-10-2013 13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it a slow news week there?

I'm not sure news and Yorkshire Evening Post belong in the same sentence.

Perhaps Sheep Lovers monthly just went under and they were hoping to pick up some of their trade.
YithianOffline
Keeping the British end up
Total posts: 11943
PostPosted: 15-10-2013 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see anything anomalous beyond the penis-shaped shadow over the sheep. Can somebody please explain what somebody thinks is present, and exactly where?
Ronson8Offline
Things can only get better.
Total posts: 6277
PostPosted: 15-10-2013 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearer pics here...http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2417504/Is-WW1-soldier-window-Shopkeeper-baffled-spooky-snap-silhouette-glass.html
YithianOffline
Keeping the British end up
Total posts: 11943
PostPosted: 15-10-2013 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

Mannequin, as you said above.
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
PostPosted: 15-10-2013 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheep worrying mannequin! Shocked
liveinabin1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2255
PostPosted: 15-10-2013 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a much better picture in the Daily Fail, thank you.

Now you say it was decided else where that it was a mannequin?
But where was the mannequin, looking on street view it couldn't have been opposite.
Link
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
PostPosted: 16-10-2013 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thinking there!

Perhaps it's just a particularly stiff person stood by the bus stop over the road?
SpookdaddyOffline
Cuckoo
Total posts: 4229
PostPosted: 16-10-2013 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you check out an entry on Farsley Village Community's Facebook page from August 29th (a couple of weeks before the Yorkshire Evening Post story) you'll see a little plug for 'The Village Ghost Walk'. By coincidence the walk starts 'on the corner of Town Street and Back Lane' which is precisely where the shop in question is situated - and anyone with any stories is asked to contact, 'Alison at Box of Cards'. (But, hey, wait a moment, isn't that...?)

Oh, and the photograph of the flesh and blood WW1 soldier in the Daily Mail article - whose (very questionable) likeness to the ghostly image is seen as proof that the latter is a manifestation of a local soldier called Friend Peel, and which the whole story is more or less anchored to, is not Friend Peel - in fact he's not even British, let alone a Yorkshireman. I really wish I could claim that research for myself, but I was actually lead to it by a comment on the DM page: according to the archives of the State Library of Queensland the photograph is of a David James Garland (see here)

You could argue - although I suspect it's highly unlikely - that the mistake is actually the Garland family's, the John Oxley Library's and the State Library of Queensland's - and not Mrs Shopkeeper's and/or the Mail's. However, the little bit of research that I can actually claim as my own indicates that the insignia halfway down the soldier's right sleeve - which looks a little bit like a butterfly in the photograph - is that of the Australian Wireless Squadron (see here), which is the unit the SLQ archives indicate that David James Garland served in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: