Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Super Ape... or Feral Human?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - manbeasts and mystery apes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dreenessOffline
Teen Titans Forum TGNMemory
Total posts: 1167
PostPosted: 08-11-2013 20:24    Post subject: Super Ape... or Feral Human? Reply with quote

Confused

There are reports of some things, things which could be well described as "super apes", giant simian-faced critters, covered in thick ape-ish fur, 7 to 8 feet tall, massive bipedal super-gorilla type-things. Reports of bigfoot/sasquatch creatures seem to fall into this category. Bipedal and enormous, but essentially just a kind of great big "super-ape".

But then there are reports of other creatures, creatures which seem more like "wild men". Stories from the Old World, including stories from antiquity and folklore etc. Creatures which are sometimes depicted in heraldry and old woodcut illustrations, and carvings and things like that. Creatures which are approximately human in form, but at the same time are beastly and utterly savage in nature. Feral humans, humans somehow "gone wrong", humans that exist without the benefits of human "culture", in the very broad sense of the word. Beings with little or no language skills, no means of communicating or even developing complex information, basically humans existing at the level of a bunch of chimps, or a pack of wolves. Instinctive, animalistic creatures. Humans without "humanity", for lack of a better word.
There are rare reports of feral human children, reports which are profoundly disturbing, and terribly tragic.

But what if there were somewhere at some time an isolated population of such creatures, living far beyond the reach of civilization, such beings could well be the stuff of legend, and the stuff of nightmares.
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2327
PostPosted: 08-11-2013 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

As well as being a handy symbol to underline the difference between the right sort of people who share our sets of norms and values, and those uncouth savage bastards who don't.
dreenessOffline
Teen Titans Forum TGNMemory
Total posts: 1167
PostPosted: 09-11-2013 04:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

An account from the 13th century:

Quote:
A wild man is described in Konungs skuggsjá (Speculum Regale or "the King's Mirror"), written in Norway around 1250:

It once happened in that country (and this seems indeed strange) that a living creature was caught in the forest as to which no one could say definitely whether it was a man or some other animal; for no one could get a word from it or be sure that it understood human speech. It had the human shape, however, in every detail, both as to hands and face and feet; but the entire body was covered with hair as the beasts are, and down the back it had a long coarse mane like that of a horse, which fell to both sides and trailed along the ground when the creature stooped in walking.
Xanatic_Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 352
PostPosted: 17-11-2013 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were the people of Tierra del Fuego not meant to be very lacking in culture, as well as clothes?
KondoruOffline
Unfeathered Biped
Total posts: 6034
PostPosted: 26-11-2013 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

They certainly were lacking in culture, and clothes, but they had complicated language (probably more so than English) and were clever hunters, as well as keeping dogs.
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 26-11-2013 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people of Tierra Del Feugo didn't wear clothes? They must have had to ship in a new population every spring.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25214
PostPosted: 26-11-2013 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldrover wrote:
The people of Tierra Del Feugo didn't wear clothes? They must have had to ship in a new population every spring.

No! Tierra del Fuego means Land of Fire. When it got chilly (see what I did there? Wink ) they just huddled around a convenient volcano! Very Happy
Xanatic_Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 352
PostPosted: 28-11-2013 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is part of the weird thing about them. They seemed to have been quite capable of staying warm, without clothes on. It's been said if missionairies let them sit near their campfires, the fuegans would start sweating. Perhaps their mitochondria produced extra heat, similar to what people in Siberia are meant to have. The missionairies also gave them clothes, but this ended up being the death of the fuegans.
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 28-11-2013 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to learn a bit more about this, at the moment the idea sounds bloody mad to me. Yet I'm sure I recall a reference to two children who were taken to London from the area to be 'civilised' throwing off their clothes when they were finally taken back and returning to their savage ways.

Can anyone recommend some references?
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 28-11-2013 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we are;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaghan

Thank you Xanatic and Kondoru for a very interesting fact.
KondoruOffline
Unfeathered Biped
Total posts: 6034
PostPosted: 28-11-2013 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yaghans certainly did not wear clothing, but they were acclimatised to such a life.

This is a place where glaciers come right down to the sea, in spite of the forests (fuegean trees are as tough as the people, and have since been planted in places no other trees can grow)

Didn't NASA do acclimatisation experiments with ordinary American households?
MythopoeikaOffline
I am a meat popsicle
Total posts: 10445
PostPosted: 28-11-2013 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is fascinating. They had become so adapted to the cold, they didn't need clothes...just wow.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 20646
PostPosted: 28-11-2013 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldrover wrote:
I'd like to learn a bit more about this, at the moment the idea sounds bloody mad to me. Yet I'm sure I recall a reference to two children who were taken to London from the area to be 'civilised' throwing off their clothes when they were finally taken back and returning to their savage ways.

Can anyone recommend some references?

It was in the film about Charles Darwin a few years ago.
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 28-11-2013 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one with Paul Bettany in it? Couldn't get through it I'm afraid. I can't stand Darwin for some reason. It's not that I'm some religious lunatic or anything, I admire his work it's just that the thought of him as some morbid Victorian hypochondriac makes my skin crawl.
SameOldVardoger
Great Old One
PostPosted: 29-11-2013 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an old photo from 1899 where the indians of Tierra del Fuego definetly wear clothes:

http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/46/4623/PPNFG00Z/posters/ona-indians-from-tierra-del-fuego.jpg

Perhaps because it is in the winter?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Cryptozoology - manbeasts and mystery apes All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: