Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
What happened to all the sightings and abductions?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ufology
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poozlerOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 179
PostPosted: 09-11-2013 03:56    Post subject: What happened to all the sightings and abductions? Reply with quote

I've noticed there are no good UFO sightings or fascinating abduction stories anymore. Sure, there are lots of dodgy photos of seagulls, frisbees, swamp gas and the like, but is NO-ONE abducted (or even "close-encountered") anymore? If not, why not? I'd love a good "I was abducted by aliens" story! I keep coming back to this forum, but am consistently disappointed.
Bigfoot73Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1106
PostPosted: 09-11-2013 05:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

My penny'sworth on this is that UFO sightings (which even now emanate mostly and most annoyingly from the USA) fall into 2 groups :- those which are secret government craft or trickery and those which are yet to be deemed to be secret government craft or trickery.
Meanwhile abductions also divide into two groups, the sort that mysteriously cause people to write books and appear on radio shows, and what are now known as real-time abductions. The decline in credibility of the first type has left the sceptics feeling triumphant and the believers too marginalised or just plain embarrassed to defend real-time abductions which may also be BS but are at least less fantastical "I got implanted/impregnated on the way to the shops" type.
Black triangles have gained most attention in recent years and seem most likely to be US government craft, not alien spaceships. Many so called whistleblowers have turned out to be disinformation agents. There could be real alien spaceships out there and real real-time abductions going on, but the sceptics now hold sway in the debate while the believers are demoralised so anyone reporting anything is far less likely to be believed.
poozlerOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 179
PostPosted: 09-11-2013 06:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response, Bigfoot. What do you mean by 'real-time abductions'? I haven't heard of those.

With regard to the US military, I've thought for a long time that the 'secret [US] government craft' was behind many of the UFO stories, and probably promulgated and/or supported by the powers-that-be to keep the rabble misinformed about advanced weaponry and such (which I guess would put all this firmly in the Conspiracy corner), but I still don't understand why the sort of IHTM-type stories about aliens have dried up completely. I could see these sorts of stories changing, but not disappearing entirely.

Is it just a fashion thing? I hope not. I really loved them.
MythopoeikaOffline
Boring petty conservative
Total posts: 10018
PostPosted: 09-11-2013 09:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might just be that the aliens have become bored with us?

They'll be back, I'm sure.
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 6118
PostPosted: 09-11-2013 11:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if we go looking online we will find abductees. They just no longer command much general interest. It's also possible that accounts which would once have been memories of alien mischief are framed as recovered memories of human abuse?

This allegedly terrible documentary may demonstrate why the phenomenon now passes under our radar. Question
Bigfoot73Offline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 09-11-2013 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks for the response, Bigfoot. What do you mean by 'real-time abductions'? I haven't heard of those.

A lot of abduction stories involve the victim being abducted, fiddled with etc and returning to their ordinary lives without a passage of time corresponding with what they think it should have taken, real time abductions happen without this or any claimed altered state of consciousness and usually lack the more fantastical features of missing-time cases - no implants or sex with aliens.
Personally I only know of two cases which defy explanation, the Dyatlov Pass incident featured in FT mag and the Todd Sees case from Pennsylvania in 2004.
jimv1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2981
PostPosted: 10-11-2013 13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe all those people who would be - let's say, prone to revealing their personal testimonies of abduction and sightings are now online and otherwise engaged/distracted or can seek attention there.

I'm not saying all abductees aren't genuine but can you have a facebook status of 'Abducted'?
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2290
PostPosted: 10-11-2013 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

poozler wrote:

Is it just a fashion thing? I hope not. I really loved them.

Yeah, me too. I was driving down a country road Thursday night the moon was bright, the odd lorry but not many cars and I remember thinking this reminds me of the old fashioned UFO stories. It made me feel quite nostalgic. Significantly though I also remember associating those stories with a specific time period of the 70's and 80's, rather than now.

Possibly people have been put off the UFO genre by the claims from the abductees, I know it's ruined a lot of it for me.

Ultimately though I think you're right it is a fashion thing, and it's not just UFO's, cryptozoology is all but extinct these days with little more than a few manky coyotes and the odd bigfoot sighting, ghosts don't seem t be faring too well either. Maybe we're structuring our modern myths and folklore in a different way these days.
Bigfoot73Offline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 10-11-2013 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2012 non-event burst the bubble somewhat, before then there were tinfoil hatters and woowoos of every flavour nowadays believing in things is uncool.
Comet Elenin was supposed to be Nibiru but broke up before even getting close.
There could be a more general disillusionment too, undermining interest in the exotic : WW3 hasn't started, anthropogenic global warming now looks suspect and the global financial system keeps defying predictions of it's imminent demise.
AnalisOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 875
PostPosted: 12-11-2013 10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I find remarkable, is that secret aircrafts with incredible performances were already put forward 50 years ago. Probably they will still be 50 years in the future. And they will still be even more elusive than alien spacecrafts, built using God knows which technology, always stored in their secret hangar, never used except to parade them in front of puzzled citizens. For some mysterious reason, this is deemed of more strategic importance than to use them in Iran or Syria.

As for the decrease of reports, it is not so much of unexplained things in the sky which are still being reported. But there does seem to be a sharp decline of more spectacular sightings, notably of structured crafts. And there is a complete or almost complete disappearance of occupants. Perhaps the trickster, or the control system, or whatever feels that there is no more need for them ? Maybe because the belief in extraterrestrials has become more ingrained ? However, there are still encounters with strange beings, not necessarily less numerous than in the past ; it is just that they are not related anymore to the vision of flying crafts.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14381
PostPosted: 12-11-2013 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could observe the same about the contactee craze of the 1950s, now very few people claim to have been visited by the space brothers from Venus with a message of peace for the world. So it is that aliens now very rarely bring out the anal probe or whatever.

But there are still hangovers from those times about, it's just that everyone who likes that stuff is into conspiracy theories these days. Maybe we're due another extraterrestrial cycle?
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
Total posts: 1174
PostPosted: 12-11-2013 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe those little grey men ran out of KY.
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 6118
PostPosted: 12-11-2013 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
You could observe the same about the contactee craze of the 1950s, now very few people claim to have been visited by the space brothers from Venus with a message of peace for the world.

I have been re-reading the climactic chapters of Keel's Trojan Horse book, where he appears to have been at the centre of a very excited contactee network. This was in the mid-to-late 1960s, however. The messages from the space brothers were almost entirely horrid at this period: assassinations galore, tidal waves, nationwide power-cuts and the need to stockpile drinking water . . .

It is hard to analyse such a strange body of material: Keel's crisis may have been a personal one but the contactees seem to have been a very anxious bunch from the off. Confused
kamalktkOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 898
PostPosted: 13-11-2013 01:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they're not bringing them back. Off to the alien zoo with 'em!
MonstrosaOffline
Total posts: 608
PostPosted: 13-11-2013 07:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the aliens are getting better at not disturbing their "samples"?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ufology All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: