Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
What happened to all the sightings and abductions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ufology
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHAYBARSABEOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1502
PostPosted: 14-11-2013 00:47    Post subject: Re: What happened to all the sightings and abductions? Reply with quote

poozler wrote:
I've noticed there are no good UFO sightings or fascinating abduction stories anymore.

Those are stories from a wealthier era. The economic downturn has its own stories that supercede UFOs and abductions. UFOs and abduction stories are dessert in an era that is struggling to get a bowl of beans on the table. The stories will return when everyone is less fearful and more relaxed.

Which will be soon.

I hope.
AnalisOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 875
PostPosted: 14-11-2013 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't the traditional psychosocial explanation for waves of UFO reports that they were the result of social anxiety, and so that they were expected to be more numerous in times of economic and moral crisis  ??? Shocked
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14381
PostPosted: 14-11-2013 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

UFO stories of the past could have been a distraction, as you say Analis, but these days social anxiety has become such a source of stories in itself that we don't really need the space aliens now we have both the economic and moral horror tales and the conspiracy theories big and small that stem from them. If the UFOs were psychosocial you can well understand why they fell out of favour except as filler, silly season stories in the mainstream.

Then again, maybe the aliens were real and they decided they'd had enough.
SHAYBARSABEOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1502
PostPosted: 14-11-2013 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
Then again, maybe the aliens were real and they decided they'd had enough.

Or they are in charge.

Reptilians, anyone? https://www.google.com/search?q=koch+brothers&client=firefox-a&hs=SaO&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=hSCFUu6LPObBigKO_oGYBw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1116&bih=1436
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 14-11-2013 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd class that as a subdivision of conspiracy theories, but even that is looking old hat when most of the proponents put other human beings as their worst enemies.
AnalisOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 15-11-2013 09:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
UFO stories of the past could have been a distraction, as you say Analis, but these days social anxiety has become such a source of stories in itself that we don't really need the space aliens now we have both the economic and moral horror tales and the conspiracy theories big and small that stem from them. If the UFOs were psychosocial you can well understand why they fell out of favour except as filler, silly season stories in the mainstream.

But wasn't social anxiety already high enough to be a good source of scare stories in itself at the time of the Cold War, the Vietnam War, social and racial unrest, the crisis of the 70s, etc ? I remember well what these times were, times of anxiety, for the present and for the future, fear of collapse of the western civilization, of decline in general wealth, of world nuclear war, of climatic change. Like now, in fact (just that nuclear war has become a minor fear).
The decline in religious expectations for saviors of outer space, I could understand it as weariness has grown from the fact that the aliens persist not to reveal themselves. But well, on the other hand, for 2 000 years, people have been waiting for the return of the Christ for the next week or the next month or the next year, and Christianism remains the most prominent religion on Earth. So I doubt that tiredness is such an important factor.
It is interesting to note that by contrast, aliens remain prominent in fiction. There probably never were as many productions involving extra-terrestrials as there are now. It seems that they retain their powerful symbolism for expressing fears and anxieties. But, it appears that it has no bearing on real life sightings.

We're trying to find all manner of sophisticated explanations for the decline of reports, but in my opinion, the answer is not difficult : there is a decrease of UFO as spacecrafts and occupants manifestations.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 15-11-2013 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but if you were taking the psychosocial explanation as mentioned above it might look like a decline in wanting to see aliens and an upswing in making humanity's bizarre behaviour the centre of attention is behind the dwindling UFO abduction reports. After all, mass anxiety has been around for millennia, justified and paranoid alike.

You make a good point about religion: that is more believable as a source of interest (and worry) that has reasserted itself after the 20th Century UFO boom. As for the fictional aliens, most people can tell the difference between the fantasy and what passes for reality these days, and recognise the references.
AnalisOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 17-11-2013 10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
Yeah, but if you were taking the psychosocial explanation as mentioned above it might look like a decline in wanting to see aliens and an upswing in making humanity's bizarre behaviour the centre of attention is behind the dwindling UFO abduction reports.

If this is really the psychosocial doctrine, it would confirm itself as unable to put forward any consistent and credible explanation. To the point that it has to resort to gratuitous assertions. Why would we be less 'wanting to see aliens' ?

gncxx wrote:

As for the fictional aliens, most people can tell the difference between the fantasy and what passes for reality these days, and recognise the references.

I would answer that people were not less clever in the 50s, and were as good to make the distinction as now. Moreover, the belief in extra-terrestrials (i.e. ETs seen as truth) is now much more ingrained in the public than it was in the 50s. Implying that from the PSH viewpoint, we should have more reports now. In any case, any distinction would be irrelevant from a PSH perspective, as part of its credo has been that people are influenced by folklore and cultural symbolism.

It remind us of all the discussions we already had about the PSH argumentation is constantly changing when faced with the facts, and, as a consequence, often at odds with itself.
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25923&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75

gncxx wrote:

You make a good point about religion: that is more believable as a source of interest (and worry) that has reasserted itself after the 20th Century UFO boom.

Personnally, I think that traditional religion has always been more influent than any belief in extra-terrestrials (as saviors from space, space brothers, or else). It just has become more vocal in the past decades, after years of ruminating revenge. Although I am of the opinion that it is still in slow decline in the western world. However, its greater visibility (and vindictivness) does not mean more reports of religious apparitions or miracles.
eburacumOffline
Papo-Furado
Total posts: 1634
PostPosted: 20-11-2013 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if there are any actual ETs involved in the UFO phenomenon (which looks increasingly unlikely), they only account for less than 5% of all sightings, probably much less . That means that the psychosocial explanation needs to account for at least 95% of all sightings, and quite probably all of them.

The fact that the UFO phenomenon, particularly the frequency of sightings, doesn't seem to follow any easily predictable pattern makes that phenomenon more interesting, not less.

I would have expected the fact that the websites of UFO believers are easily available on the internet, giving the general public access to a large number of credulous opinions, would have made the general public more likely to report unidentified aerial phenomena; this does not seem to be consistently the case.

After a big peak a couple of years ago when the chinese lantern craze began, interest in this sort of thing has really tailed off; I suppose that once everyone has bought a few lanterns themselves and set them off, or watched the process from reasonably close quarters, the idea that there are flights of orange saucers in our skies has lost its appeal somewhat.
kamalktkOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 898
PostPosted: 21-11-2013 00:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mufon published infomation of the sightings reported to them. There have been some large spikes and we are not at a peak, but the number of reported sightings has been on an increase overall.
http://www.openminds.tv/ufo-trends/

Now the "I saw ufo occupants" sightings are still very few and far between.
sherbetbizarreOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1638
PostPosted: 21-11-2013 01:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because everyone has a phone camera these-days, the media-shy aliens have decided to keep their distance... Wink
uair01Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1161
PostPosted: 21-11-2013 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pet theory is that the media report them less nowadays. Skeptics explain the UFO-wave phenomenon by more people looking up after UFO sightings are reported. A positive feedback.

It is strange that Bigfoot seems to survive well and UFO's are doing badly. I believe in neither really, but both are interesting. But UFO´s are more interesting than Bigfoot.

I often feel nostalgic for that golden age of UFO's:
http://uair01.blogspot.nl/2011/07/ufo-landscapes.html
oldroverOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2290
PostPosted: 22-11-2013 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigfoot isn't doing very well at all actually, at least that's my impression. In fact cryptozoology in terms of popular appeal seems to be almost extinct.
AnalisOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 25-11-2013 13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is true that reports of seemingly genuine bigfoot sightings have become sparse. As had sea serpent sightings. Apparently for no other reason that the true number of sightings had actually decreased.

The same could be said of most spectacular fortean. Like poltergeists, or falls of fish and other out-place objects or animals. It seems that these phenomena are incompatible with the development and generalization of instantaneous communication.
feinmanOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 210
PostPosted: 04-02-2014 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analis wrote:
What I find remarkable, is that secret aircrafts with incredible performances were already put forward 50 years ago. Probably they will still be 50 years in the future. And they will still be even more elusive than alien spacecrafts, built using God knows which technology, always stored in their secret hangar, never used except to parade them in front of puzzled citizens. For some mysterious reason, this is deemed of more strategic importance than to use them in Iran or Syria.

Exactly. How unlikely is that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ufology All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: