Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Above average Ghost doc found on Youtube
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cardinalukOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 66
PostPosted: 28-11-2013 10:05    Post subject: Above average Ghost doc found on Youtube Reply with quote

Thought I'd share this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaZwKop0bhE

It's one of the better docs on the paranormal I've found. Still has silly sound effects and ridiculous gfx now and again but it's got a serious scientific edge to it.

C
EponastillOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 240
PostPosted: 02-12-2013 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a good ghost documentary on youtube, you simply cannot beat this one about the london underground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhLL3EepOnI

Proper ghost stories. Not dubious out of focus cctv. Much spookier.
Naughty_FelidOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 270
PostPosted: 09-12-2013 04:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a brilliant doco.

This is good from Australia the York Hostel is particularly interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_ufYK42X18
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
Total posts: 2014
PostPosted: 09-12-2013 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Am most of the way through that one and have to say, I highly recommend it. Very Happy
SpookdaddyOffline
Cuckoo
Total posts: 3932
PostPosted: 09-12-2013 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneWingedBird wrote:
Quote:

Am most of the way through that one and have to say, I highly recommend it. Very Happy

Yep. One of the best I can remember seeing. I linked to it myself sometime back. Some proper shivers to be had - especially as the people telling the stories seem so down to earth. (Somewhere in there there's a story about Hyde Park Corner station which, for some reason - although I don't think a whole lot happens in it - I found particularly creepy.)

I remember talking to a mate of mine's dad some years back - a proper old-school Londoner who had worked on the Underground for decades. I said that I expected a few tall stories got told about the place - his reply was something along the lines of, 'No, son - you never get so used to the place that it stops being spooky so people tend to avoid telling shityerpants stories just for the sake of it - generally speaking, if someone tells you something happened to them you can more or less bet your life it did.
Naughty_FelidOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 270
PostPosted: 11-12-2013 02:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spookdaddy wrote:
OneWingedBird wrote:
Quote:

Yep. One of the best I can remember seeing. I linked to it myself sometime back. Some proper shivers to be had - especially as the people telling the stories seem so down to earth. (Somewhere in there there's a story about Hyde Park Corner station which, for some reason - although I don't think a whole lot happens in it - I found particularly creepy.)

I remember talking to a mate of mine's dad some years back - a proper old-school Londoner who had worked on the Underground for decades. I said that I expected a few tall stories got told about the place - his reply was something along the lines of, 'No, son - you never get so used to the place that it stops being spooky so people tend to avoid telling shityerpants stories just for the sake of it - generally speaking, if someone tells you something happened to them you can more or less bet your life it did.

Laughing epic story Spookdaddy!
Father_TedOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 45
PostPosted: 16-12-2013 10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched the London Underground Doc, entertaining and unnerving in equal measure.
I gather from that there are people whose job it is to walk alone through the tunnels at night? I don't care how much they pay - nothing could induce me to do that!
McAvennie_Offline
OBE
Total posts: 2602
PostPosted: 27-12-2013 09:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eponastill wrote:
If you want a good ghost documentary on youtube, you simply cannot beat this one about the london underground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhLL3EepOnI

That first story has already sent a chill down my spine... Shocked

If only we had access to the CCTV footage for that one!

I have to say actually there is something about the LU. I worked in London for about 5 years in the early 00s and commuted daily on the system, I worked shifts so was there late and early and when you find yourself walking a deserted tunnel late at night there is something very unsettling about the place.

By contrast I've lived in Paris the last three years and take the Metro system there every day at all hours and I don't find it spooky in the slightest. It's not quite as old and the tunnels nowhere near as deep but it is curious how one subterranean transit system can feel so ominous and oppressive while another does not bring out anything like the same feelings.
cardinalukOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 66
PostPosted: 18-06-2014 15:04    Post subject: What's the name of the doco? Reply with quote

What's the name of the documentary as the youtube link doesn't exist?

Is it this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZzHtxf9TNI

C
SpookdaddyOffline
Cuckoo
PostPosted: 19-06-2014 07:56    Post subject: Re: What's the name of the doco? Reply with quote

cardinaluk wrote:
What's the name of the documentary as the youtube link doesn't exist?

Is it this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZzHtxf9TNI

C

That's the one - I wish there were more out there like it.

I was never quite sure about the electric chair story, though. It's so utterly bizarre it certainly deserves the label Fortean (if not Ghost) - but ever since I first watched the film I've had an unshakeable feeling that I've seen that image elsewhere.
genex17Offline
Grey
Total posts: 29
PostPosted: 23-06-2014 06:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bruno Hauptmann one is strange. He was executed in New Jersey. He had never been to London. Is the UK that haunted that you got ghosts visiting in from overseas?
I keep thinking there's a Visit England branch office somewhere in the afterlife. Laughing
SpookdaddyOffline
Cuckoo
PostPosted: 23-06-2014 06:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

genex17 wrote:
The Bruno Hauptmann one is strange. He was executed in New Jersey. He had never been to London. Is the UK that haunted that you got ghosts visiting in from overseas?
I keep thinking there's a Visit England branch office somewhere in the afterlife. Laughing

They come over here, taking our ectoplasm, scaring our women...

Yes, it's certainly odd with another dollop of oddness on the side; sometimes I think that double dose of strangeness is one of the cornerstones of the Fortean, and generally speaking I tend to enjoy that type of event, but this one doesn't quite work for me.

The rest, I love. I could sit watching normal level-headed people telling ghost stories - without the cheesy camera tricks and sound effects and over sensationalised narration - all day long.

(I actually really like the camerawork on that documentary - it's quite spare and uncomplicated but really gets a sense of the underlying oddness of the environment, without the cheap tricks.)
genex17Offline
Grey
PostPosted: 23-06-2014 07:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then the Bruno Hauptmann picture aside,

This documentary touched on two of my favorites, namely railways and Forteana. The presentation was not "over the top" for me and focused on the eyewitnesses and offered an alternate explanation. Of course the door slamming shut while the professor was doing the sound and draft analysis was dramatic.

I had not known of the Bethel Green disaster, so there's a good history lesson.

Ok, that was really good. I'm going to watch it over. Smile
SpookdaddyOffline
Cuckoo
PostPosted: 23-06-2014 08:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

genex17 wrote:
...This documentary touched on two of my favorites, namely railways and Forteana...

In which case, if you haven't discovered them already, then you might enjoy the Railway Ghosts? and London Underground oddness threads.

I'm sure there are more. (I thought we had a longer London Underground thread somewhere - possibly I'm thinking of another site.)
genex17Offline
Grey
PostPosted: 25-06-2014 06:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I been re-watching the 5 part series of London's Haunted Underground. Just went over part 3. That was where the figure of Bruno Hauptmann appeared in a window in a tourist's photo.

I noted previously that the Bruno Hauptmann photo taken on the Bakerloo line was unusual since he never had been anywhere near London. Baker Street Station however is a short walk to Madame Tussauds Wax Museum where the Bruno Hauptmann execution exhibit is, the one that closely resembles the figure in the photo.

I also took in a video of the Underground's long history to get some historical background. Nothing paranormal, but it was good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Ghosts - general All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: