Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
FT 305
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean Times Magazine
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14755
PostPosted: 10-08-2013 22:14    Post subject: FT 305 Reply with quote

Anyone else get theirs? Haven't had a chance for an in-depth read, but delighted to see Crook Frightfulness has finally made an appearance.
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18637
PostPosted: 10-08-2013 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine arrived while I was at work. Not opened it yet. Very Happy
WhistlingJackOffline
Total posts: 4298
PostPosted: 11-08-2013 13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine yesterday. Like what I've read, so far.

I would have made more of the "Cumberland Spaceman" mystery apparently being solved, though Confused
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 11-08-2013 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had more of a read today, and almost every letter was a winner, even the IHTMs were all quality (not sure the earworm is all that supernatural, mind you), and I'm now pondering whether elks exist because I've never seen one either, and if there's a curse of doom on 10 Downing Street. Plus good to know Emergo made it to Newcastle, I thought it was an American phenomenon.

Crook Frightfulness was well worth the wait, a terrific article, so well researched and very revealing in light of the article which followed it. Both seemed like the product of deranged minds, but when more than one person claims similar kinds of mysterious persecution, many more, you wonder if they're feeding one another's psychosis or if there's really something to it.
47ForteansOffline
Live Fortean And Prosper!
Total posts: 1819
PostPosted: 12-08-2013 01:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting for my copy to arrive! When it does, I shall be giddy with glee!
DrWhitefaceOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 452
PostPosted: 12-08-2013 06:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wretched postal service taking its own sweet time to deliver to the Fools Guild. (Prepares custard pies to throw at said postal service!)
los_grandes_lutzOffline
You have no new messages
Total posts: 337
PostPosted: 15-08-2013 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange tales of Homeland Security +++++Spoiler alert+++++

Druggie thinks the world is watching him because once upon a time someone stole some night vision glasses and then stayed at the druggies house. Please!
I'm not even going to start on the invisible midgets and other such rubbish, but can someone answer one simple question. If it all started over some stolen night vision glasses, why on earth would any government agency be following this unimportant person years later, when obviously he would no longer have access to the glasses. Why not follow, say.... someone who IS a threat to the country?
And please don't say it's because this unemployed druggie who sleeps in a caravan behind his mother's house is a danger to the most powerful government in the world.
If this is the level that FT are going to drop to, I will seriously question if I want to renew my subscription.

BTW, yes of course I'm working for "them" Rolling Eyes
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 16-08-2013 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I saw the article as a modern complement to the Edwardian article right before it, obviously delusional but curious all the same because it's an experience shared by many people. There is a panel in the second article which pretty much says all this stuff is impossible. I do worry what it might do to suggestible minds, however.
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 16-08-2013 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine turned up just a couple of hours ago. I haven't even opened the plastic wrapper yet! Very Happy
DiocletianXOffline
Tadger
Total posts: 30
PostPosted: 18-08-2013 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

los_grandes_lutz wrote:
Strange tales of Homeland Security +++++Spoiler alert+++++

Druggie thinks the world is watching him because once upon a time someone stole some night vision glasses and then stayed at the druggies house. Please!
I'm not even going to start on the invisible midgets and other such rubbish, but can someone answer one simple question. If it all started over some stolen night vision glasses, why on earth would any government agency be following this unimportant person years later, when obviously he would no longer have access to the glasses. Why not follow, say.... someone who IS a threat to the country?
And please don't say it's because this unemployed druggie who sleeps in a caravan behind his mother's house is a danger to the most powerful government in the world.
If this is the level that FT are going to drop to, I will seriously question if I want to renew my subscription.

BTW, yes of course I'm working for "them" Rolling Eyes

That is the worst article I think I've ever read in nearly 20 years of FT. Complete garbage. I'm really shocked and pissed off that they published it.
Seriously, WTF.
HenryFortOffline
I am Seeking Rest for my Weary Heart
Total posts: 1131
PostPosted: 18-08-2013 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
... I do worry what it might do to suggestible minds, however.

i think i know where youre coming from
HenryFortOffline
I am Seeking Rest for my Weary Heart
Total posts: 1131
PostPosted: 18-08-2013 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

good cover though ... especially after last months pub sign
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
PostPosted: 18-08-2013 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

HenryFort wrote:
gncxx wrote:
... I do worry what it might do to suggestible minds, however.

i think i know where youre coming from

Yeah, after certain recent posts here I'm wondering if the article shouldn't have been the sidebar and vice versa.
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 19-08-2013 08:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

gncxx wrote:
Funny, I saw the article as a modern complement to the Edwardian article right before it, obviously delusional but curious all the same because it's an experience shared by many people. There is a panel in the second article which pretty much says all this stuff is impossible. I do worry what it might do to suggestible minds, however.

I think I'm going to call this the Summer Madness issue. The weather was great yesterday, so I read it almost cover to cover, sitting on my favourite quiet terrace and drinking Brand pils out of the bottle.

I enjoyed it, even the Homeland Security craziness. It really did complement the Crook Frightfulness article. It reminded me of the sort of stuff PK Dick used to come out with, back in his crazy druggy days. I can see what gncxx means, there's a real Fortean nebulousness about the article - how much of this should we believe, if at all? The Crook Frightfulness article did provide a bit of historical context. The invisible midgets were worthy of John Keel and I enjoyed the insider's hatchet job on Keel as well.

A good issue.
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 6206
PostPosted: 22-08-2013 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Wilson's Blog gives some background to his unmasking of the Crook Frightfulness author Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Fortean Times Magazine All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: