Forums

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Psychic Abilities At Work

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Parapsychology
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bunnymousekittOnline
rabbity mousey cat-like thing
Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Total posts: 295
Location: hiding under the kitchen sink
Age: 37
Gender: Female
PostPosted: 31-01-2014 05:15    Post subject: Psychic Abilities At Work Reply with quote

A friend of mine is a financial adviser. Recently, I asked him how he became so successful in his field. He laughed and replied that it was due to being psychic about money. He said, "most of us are, we just don't admit it to outsiders."

A relative is a paleo-pathologist. She says that often when she handles a specimen, she has an instant flash of what killed the person, as well as a strong sense of what their personality might have been like. She says that while it can be alarming if the feelings are very negative, more often it helps her feel a connection with the bones she is studying.

Does anyone here have "psychic" experiences that help with their work or studies?
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website 
Isis177Offline
Great Old One
Joined: 22 May 2004
Total posts: 494
Location: Australia
Gender: Unknown
PostPosted: 31-01-2014 09:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to sometimes be asked to work with autistic children who had never spoken, in a primary school. After a couple of weeks I would have a dream that they were ready and after that they would begin to speak.
One even taught herself Chinese from the net although she was Vietnamese. I met her with her parents a couple of years ago and she had got a scholarship for her secondary studies.
So different from the 7 year old who used to be brought in a pusher, scream and crawl under the tables.
Back to top
View user's profile 
bunnymousekittOnline
rabbity mousey cat-like thing
Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Total posts: 295
Location: hiding under the kitchen sink
Age: 37
Gender: Female
PostPosted: 31-01-2014 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isis177 wrote:
I used to sometimes be asked to work with autistic children who had never spoken, in a primary school. After a couple of weeks I would have a dream that they were ready and after that they would begin to speak.
One even taught herself Chinese from the net although she was Vietnamese. I met her with her parents a couple of years ago and she had got a scholarship for her secondary studies.
So different from the 7 year old who used to be brought in a pusher, scream and crawl under the tables.


That's fascinating, Isis. It sounds as if you had a deep empathic connection with the children.
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website 
MythopoeikaOffline
Joined: 18 Sep 2001
Total posts: 10756
Gender: Unknown
PostPosted: 31-01-2014 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am required to be a mind reader at work.
I am a technical author, and I have to write manuals based on specialist information known only to subject matter experts. These guys just ignore me and won't help, so I am required to be telepathic.

I am seriously thinking about another career, as my mind reading abilities aren't up to scratch.
Back to top
View user's profile 
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Joined: 13 Dec 2008
Total posts: 25938
Location: Under the moon
Gender: Male
PostPosted: 31-01-2014 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythopoeika wrote:
I am required to be a mind reader at work.
I am a technical author, and I have to write manuals based on specialist information known only to subject matter experts. These guys just ignore me and won't help, so I am required to be telepathic.

Ha ha! My first job after uni was as a technical author, and I had similar problems. In the end I decided my social skills weren't up to it, so I did get a different job.

But thinking back over it, several decades later, I'm inclined to think it was a 50/50 problem - ie, the "subject matter experts" were not very communicative either. If they were, they could probably have written their own fecking manuals! Twisted Evil
Back to top
View user's profile 
MythopoeikaOffline
Joined: 18 Sep 2001
Total posts: 10756
Gender: Unknown
PostPosted: 31-01-2014 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:
Mythopoeika wrote:
I am required to be a mind reader at work.
I am a technical author, and I have to write manuals based on specialist information known only to subject matter experts. These guys just ignore me and won't help, so I am required to be telepathic.

Ha ha! My first job after uni was as a technical author, and I had similar problems. In the end I decided my social skills weren't up to it, so I did get a different job.

But thinking back over it, several decades later, I'm inclined to think it was a 50/50 problem - ie, the "subject matter experts" were not very communicative either. If they were, they could probably have written their own fecking manuals! Twisted Evil


Interesting to hear it's not just me who's had this experience. You've done everything, Rynner! Smile
I'm pretty certain it's not my communication skills at fault here, as I've worked at other places and had no problems. No, these guys are actually resistant to sitting down and giving me some solid information (I guess because they are ultra-busy).
I'm fed up already after only 7 months here, and I'm looking to leave very soon.
Back to top
View user's profile 
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Joined: 19 Aug 2003
Total posts: 21368
Location: Dublin
Gender: Male
PostPosted: 01-02-2014 00:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythopoeika wrote:
I am required to be a mind reader at work.
I am a technical author, and I have to write manuals based on specialist information known only to subject matter experts. These guys just ignore me and won't help, so I am required to be telepathic.

I am seriously thinking about another career, as my mind reading abilities aren't up to scratch.


You're Dilbert!
Back to top
View user's profile 
MythopoeikaOffline
Joined: 18 Sep 2001
Total posts: 10756
Gender: Unknown
PostPosted: 01-02-2014 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramonmercado wrote:
Mythopoeika wrote:
I am required to be a mind reader at work.
I am a technical author, and I have to write manuals based on specialist information known only to subject matter experts. These guys just ignore me and won't help, so I am required to be telepathic.

I am seriously thinking about another career, as my mind reading abilities aren't up to scratch.


You're Dilbert!


No...I'm Tina.
Back to top
View user's profile 
bunnymousekittOnline
rabbity mousey cat-like thing
Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Total posts: 295
Location: hiding under the kitchen sink
Age: 37
Gender: Female
PostPosted: 02-02-2014 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythopoeika wrote:
I am required to be a mind reader at work.
I am a technical author, and I have to write manuals based on specialist information known only to subject matter experts. These guys just ignore me and won't help, so I am required to be telepathic.

I am seriously thinking about another career, as my mind reading abilities aren't up to scratch.


Haha. Smile That's interesting...the hubs was looking into work as a technical writer, but all the companies 'round here were wanting absurdly specialized knowledge - "applicants must have a degree in journalism, and also a doctorate in astrophysics". Razz (I laugh, but that actually was the requirement to edit the company newsletter at NASA. To which we said, good luck with that!)

Anyway, Mytho, you mentioned once you had an artistic hobby. Is that perhaps something where intuitive abilities come into play?
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website 
MythopoeikaOffline
Joined: 18 Sep 2001
Total posts: 10756
Gender: Unknown
PostPosted: 02-02-2014 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunnymousekitt wrote:
Haha. Smile That's interesting...the hubs was looking into work as a technical writer, but all the companies 'round here were wanting absurdly specialized knowledge - "applicants must have a degree in journalism, and also a doctorate in astrophysics". Razz (I laugh, but that actually was the requirement to edit the company newsletter at NASA. To which we said, good luck with that!)


Haha, yes - that's a ridiculous requirement for someone just to edit the company newsletter. Anybody with a doctorate in astrophysics is not going to want to do it!
They probably set the bar that high to screen out thousands of time-wasters who may apply.

bunnymousekitt wrote:
Anyway, Mytho, you mentioned once you had an artistic hobby. Is that perhaps something where intuitive abilities come into play?


Yes...thanks for remembering! I am working on this. I am building up a huge collection of tools, books and ideas to set myself up as a metal sculptor/jeweller/designer-maker. Problem is, you need a complete set of the right tools before you can get started. It's cost me dear so far.
Another side venture I am considering is writing a few illustrated books for children. I don't expect to make much from this, but if I could make a steady trickle of money from the books, it could then free me up to do the metalwork and ditch the hated day job.
As with any venture where you set up in business, you always need a stash of cash. Wish I had more! Smile


Sorry to derail the thread - as you were...
Back to top
View user's profile 
feinmanOffline
Great Old One
Joined: 25 Nov 2013
Total posts: 210
Age: 45
Gender: Male
PostPosted: 03-02-2014 02:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool Mythopoeika! Sounds like we have parallel interests. I have an undergrad degree in illustration, and make some Egyptian and Homeric armour. Mike Loades commissioned a section of Egyptian armour for the Nova episode "Buding Pharaoh's Chariot" it can be seen on the Nova page for that episode, resisting arrows. I like to paint plein air and am gearing up for some iliad illustrations. Bunch of stuff and other people's stuff here:
http://z8.invisionfree.com/Bronze_Age_Center/index.php
Back to top
View user's profile 
bunnymousekittOnline
rabbity mousey cat-like thing
Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Total posts: 295
Location: hiding under the kitchen sink
Age: 37
Gender: Female
PostPosted: 03-02-2014 06:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythopoeika wrote:

Anybody with a doctorate in astrophysics is not going to want to do it!
That's certainly the truth..
Quote:
They probably set the bar that high to screen out thousands of time-wasters who may apply.
...and that's a good point. I hadn't considered that before, but that must be the reason.

Quote:

Yes...thanks for remembering! I am working on this. I am building up a huge collection of tools, books and ideas to set myself up as a metal sculptor/jeweller/designer-maker. Problem is, you need a complete set of the right tools before you can get started. It's cost me dear so far.
Another side venture I am considering is writing a few illustrated books for children. I don't expect to make much from this, but if I could make a steady trickle of money from the books, it could then free me up to do the metalwork and ditch the hated day job.
As with any venture where you set up in business, you always need a stash of cash. Wish I had more! Smile


Oh, yes - I remember years ago a member here posted video of some moving metal sculptures they'd made - was that you? (it's been some time ago now)

I have an idea how you can get your tools, Mytho. Somewhere out there, you can bet on it, someone has the tools you need. Maybe they belonged to a professional who'd retired or passed away. Maybe even some wealthy dilettante who decided to take up metal work on a whim and now the equipment is shoved away in a basement. Wherever they are, someone has those tools and wants to get rid of them cheap - you just have to sniff them out. Smile

Try advertising for them in the papers or a free site like Craigslist. Make an offer you can afford. (Since you're looking for tools, that's probably less likely to attract a crazed killer, IMO Wink ) Put the word out on the street.

Do you know others who do similar work? If so, maybe some would be willing to do a deal or a swap for equipment. (If you don't know any other artists, make a point of getting to know some. As an artist myself, I know how helpful that can be.)

A slightly unusual suggestion - look for Pagans and Pagan forums. Lots of Pagans do crafts like metal work, glass-blowing and the like, and they make jewellry like there's no tomorrow. Especially the witches. Laughing And they are generally very good about trading and swapping. At worst, you might meet someone who knows someone who can get you a good deal on what you need.

Also, as a way of earning a passive income to support your work, you might consider making a blog about your projects and monetizing it. You can also try selling your artwork that way, too. (I need to do this myself, actually - I've just been too lazy. Rolling Eyes )

These are some things to think about, anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website 
MythopoeikaOffline
Joined: 18 Sep 2001
Total posts: 10756
Gender: Unknown
PostPosted: 03-02-2014 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

feinman wrote:
Very cool Mythopoeika! Sounds like we have parallel interests. I have an undergrad degree in illustration, and make some Egyptian and Homeric armour. Mike Loades commissioned a section of Egyptian armour for the Nova episode "Buding Pharaoh's Chariot" it can be seen on the Nova page for that episode, resisting arrows. I like to paint plein air and am gearing up for some iliad illustrations. Bunch of stuff and other people's stuff here:
http://z8.invisionfree.com/Bronze_Age_Center/index.php


Fantastic! Always interested in what other people are up to. Smile

Bunnymousekitt: Thanks for the wonderful advice!
Back to top
View user's profile 
feinmanOffline
Great Old One
Joined: 25 Nov 2013
Total posts: 210
Age: 45
Gender: Male
PostPosted: 03-02-2014 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you the best Mythopoeika! Maybe you could set up a little shop on Etsy, to sell things as you make them, or even put things up for auction on eBay? Gradually cut back on the day job?? I like bunnymousekitt's ideas too.
Back to top
View user's profile 
HenryFortOffline
I am Seeking Rest for my Weary Heart
Joined: 23 Oct 2005
Total posts: 1131
Location: UK Again
Age: 44
Gender: Male
PostPosted: 03-02-2014 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

all these documentation specialists ... small world ! I know the resistance those technicians display all too well mytho ... its defensiveness and insecurity mostly
Back to top
View user's profile 
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Parapsychology All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group