Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Predictions For 2014
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
47ForteansOffline
Live Fortean And Prosper!
Total posts: 1826
PostPosted: 31-12-2013 05:10    Post subject: Predictions For 2014 Reply with quote

2014 will see:

New footage of an actual Big Foot/Yeti/Insert Hairy Monster Here uploaded to the internet, only to be claimed as a bad hoax within minutes of posting.

Brian Blessed announces intentions to run for London Mayor.

New Mayan based End Of The World prediciton.

Usual violence in the Middle East.

Winter Olympics in Russia declared "campest games ever"!
DrWhitefaceOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 463
PostPosted: 31-12-2013 05:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expiditions to find orang-pedic will instead find remains of Amelia Earheart.
jimv1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 3241
PostPosted: 31-12-2013 09:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the Queen is prepping for abdication.
The mention in the Queen's speech of 'her son' taking over in the visiting dignitary role and now Wills doing an intensive crash course on how to run the farm in the Duchy of Cornwall suggest to me that the next christmas Speech could be her last as reigning monarch.
Anome_Offline
Faceless Man
Total posts: 5549
PostPosted: 31-12-2013 10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Risky, that one. A number of people are convinced (including my mother) that she refuses to abdicate because of what happened to her father.

Of course, her father wasn't prepared to be King, because he was never supposed to be. (Although, thank Fort he did become King. If Edward had stayed on the throne during the Second World War, with his sympathies to Hitler... assuming of course they weren't purely borne of his feeling of being forced out.)

Conversely, Charles has been raised to be King, so he could hardly claim to be unprepared. I think if that's her concern, it's misplaced. Of course, if, for some other reason, she doesn't think Charles should be King, that's another matter entirely.

My personal feeling is that she won't actually abdicate until it becomes necessary. I don't think she'll want to be a doddering old monarch, wheeled in and out of state functions, and she will slowly cede more of her responsibilities to her heirs, not just Charles, until abdication will become a mere formality. I don't think that will be in 2014, though.

As for a prediction, and I'm willing to be totally wrong on this one, I think the Republicans in the US are going to see a massive swing against them at the mid-terms, probably losing control of the House. I think the energy the Tea Party Republicans had behind them previously has burned itself out, and apathy will set in.

Here, in Australia, I think we're in for a rough time economically, as the cost of the Coalitions Economic plans becomes clearer. And there will probably be a major problem with offshore processing of refugees, with the government of one of the island nations we're using kicking our processing centres out. And I won't be terribly surprised if there's an outbreak of plague, or leprosy, or some other third world, poverty linked disease in one of the camps. Finally, there will not be a double dissolution of the parliament next year. Abbott will be worried about going to the electorate again so soon when his personal approval rating drops through the floor.
jimv1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 3241
PostPosted: 31-12-2013 11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glaciers move faster than Royal Protocol on issues like this. I think we'll see a few stories softening us up about the Queen handing over.
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
Total posts: 1707
PostPosted: 31-12-2013 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Queenie only has another 2 years to go to be the longest ruling British monarch... I'll be surprised if she quits before she gets that distinction.
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21096
PostPosted: 31-12-2013 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrWhiteface wrote:

Or their hybrid children.
skinnyOffline
Roaring Fortean
Total posts: 534
PostPosted: 31-12-2013 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneWingedBird wrote:
Queenie only has another 2 years to go to be the longest ruling British monarch... I'll be surprised if she quits before she gets that distinction.
Perhaps she's waiting for Charlie to retire first. God I hope so. Imagine him in charge of the throne. He'd be only slightly less inept than his father Phil. On the other hand ... actually I don't really care. Almost anything that happens next year will be of more relevance than what this family does or doesn't do.

My prediction is a Fortean one. No crop circles in England during the northern summer in 2014. None. The phenomenon appears to pretty much be over already.
DrWhitefaceOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 463
PostPosted: 01-01-2014 02:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramonmercado wrote:
DrWhiteface wrote:

Now, there's something I look forward to seeing!
Quake42Offline
Warrior Princess
Total posts: 5836
PostPosted: 02-01-2014 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Looks like the Queen is prepping for abdication

I'd be surprised - she doesn't see her queenship as a job which you can just retire from. She genuinely believes she has a divine right to rule. I also can't imagine that she is unaware of Charles' popularity, or lack of it. I've wondered for a while if her aim is to outlive him.

So I would say abdication is unlikely, although I suppose stranger things have happened...
sherbetbizarreOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1753
PostPosted: 02-01-2014 11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does she have to abdicate before she's 100?

Or can she send a Birthday Message to herself?
YithianOffline
Keeping the British end up
Total posts: 11948
PostPosted: 02-01-2014 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quake42 wrote:
Quote:

I'd be surprised - she doesn't see her queenship as a job which you can just retire from. She genuinely believes she has a divine right to rule. I also can't imagine that she is unaware of Charles' popularity, or lack of it. I've wondered for a while if her aim is to outlive him.

So I would say abdication is unlikely, although I suppose stranger things have happened...

Right is unfair; she's said to consider it a duty and responsibility and take her coronation oath extemely seriously.
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18747
PostPosted: 02-01-2014 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramonmercado wrote:
DrWhiteface wrote:

Aaand we're back to the royal family.
JamesWhiteheadOffline
Piffle Prospector
Total posts: 6275
PostPosted: 02-01-2014 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone will run amuck in one of those High Street Cash Converter type stores, when denied further credit at 17,550% APR. Several fatalities are a possibility and up to £39-worth of damage to goods.

A complex land-deal corruption case will erupt which will take a decade to untangle, dominating headlines to the extent that nobody will read them for a decade.

Nelson Mandela will stay dead.

Global Warming will become more fashionable, re-badged as an extreme sport.

Cats will be targeted as unproductive lumps of fur-covered lard.

Serco will win the contract for a mass public Taigheirm of the unfortunate creatures.

Most things will stay the same or probably slightly worse than before.

It's being so cheerful that keeps me going. Confused
ramonmercadoOffline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 21096
PostPosted: 02-01-2014 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

theyithian wrote:
Quake42 wrote:
Quote:

Right is unfair; she's said to consider it a duty and responsibility and take her coronation oath extemely seriously.

I'd agree with Yith on this. I don't think she feels she has any divine right to rule.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: