Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
So we have moved house
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeff544Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 297
PostPosted: 31-12-2013 11:20    Post subject: So we have moved house Reply with quote

We moved 3 weeks ago into a very old house - 16th century thatched with beams everywhere. It is lovely and so far seems to have a very welcoming atmosphere.

There have been a couple of odd occurencies I can report. On one of the first evenings here, I was in the living room on the setee on my own. Totally knackered. I looked up and had the impression of a very short dumpy woman with a hat on standing behind the armchair opposite. The hat was not fancy, and that is the only thing I can accurately describe apart from the overall size and gender. It was gone in an instant. I put it down to tiredness.
One day when I was in here on my own doing some work and tidying away while Mrs 544 was shopping I heard voices from the living room and discovered the television was on. It has nerver done this before or since but it is getting on a bit...........
The house has a lovely feel which has been commented on by all our visitors including my mother who claims to 'feel atmospheres' and just because it is old does not mean it is hideously haunted Very Happy The people we bought it from were here for 24 years.
As always I will keep an open mind and report anything significant. BTW we have a dog and now 3 cats (2 recent additions) and particularly the dog, they all seem very happy here.
Fanari_LloydOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 134
PostPosted: 02-01-2014 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds a lovely place, (I am envious) but please do keep on reporting anything Fortean that happens!
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18736
PostPosted: 02-01-2014 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh yes, we'll need full run-down of all incidences of spookiness, no matter how trivial, please. Very Happy

I've lived in my current house (1950s concrete!) for about 20 years and it has a few nice quirks. It once knocked a builder into the bath. Cool
Fanari_LloydOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 14-01-2014 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It once knocked a builder into the bath.

Escargot - is there a thread of your experiences in your house, (and elsewhere) anywhere on the FT? I remember reading your mentioning a place with an eerie atmosphere that you didn't like going to (with your dog?) and about your daughter in the Floating Downstairs thread, but I have never come across the builder being knocked into the bath!

And Jeff544 - I second that - any incidences, please.
I have at times been talking to people and (if I know them well enough) might just drop in something about ghosts. Mostly they say 'No,' and then sometimes you get, 'But there was that time when...' and they come out with a list of 'Fortean'-type things which may be explainable, but are always really interesting. At times I think we tend to push things we can't explain into some little compartment in our minds.
jeff544Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 297
PostPosted: 15-01-2014 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your comments. So far nothing whatsoever to report.

We were chatting to an old chap that lives nearby recently and he asked if the previous people had told us about the ghost Shocked
He had a bit of a twinkle in his eye and I think he was mucking about. I did not want to start homing in on it in case the others present thought me a bit weird - plenty of time for that later Laughing
WierdExeterOffline
Grey
Total posts: 29
PostPosted: 15-01-2014 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

The year before last I fulfilled a long held ambition and spent a year living on Dartmoor. I rented a small flat within a long farmhouse that had been split into four homes. Like the OP, the place was oozing character, with huge, low wooden beams, the original fireplace complete with bread ovens and a granite staircase.

The place had a good atmosphere - mostly. It had recently been refurbished with double glazing and good insulation yet sometimes the bedroom would be icy cold - so cold I would breathe out mist. Yet downstairs my log fire would roaring, and the bedroom door open. It was quite unsettling, and I would put on the gas central heating which would eventually warm the room. It was truly quite odd, and like I said, unsettling.

Then one evening I was sat facing the open kitchen. A litre bottle of olive oil was on the counter. It had been opened and some used. Right in my line of sight, the lid jumped off in a graceful ark and landed gently on the kitchen floor! It didn't bounce or roll - it was just like someone placed it down gently.

After my shock - blood ran cold sort of thing - I investigated, and to this day I have no explanation. If the lid had just dropped off, hit the counter and bounced on the floor, that would have been one thing. But the way it flew so elegantly and landed so softly... just bizarre.
marionXXXOffline
Un-Gnoing
Total posts: 2969
PostPosted: 15-01-2014 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in a 16thC thatched cottage for a while, with similar experiences, no horrible atmospheres or spookiness but lots of little oddities occurring.
escargot1Offline
PostPosted: 19-01-2014 05:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the 'Scariest fortean thing that has ever happened to you' thread -

Quote:
This happened in front of me but didn't scare me, although it terrified the other person present.

A builder, Nick, was doing some work for me. The day before, something spooky had happened which had unnerved him. (My house didn't like him!)

Nick was screwing a hinge onto a door. He leaned it against the wall, at about a 30 degrees angle, turned his back to it and announced that if anything else scary happened he'd walk out.

Just then, I saw the door lift off the wall, hit him in the back and knock him into the new bath which I'd just had delivered. Very Happy

Here's what'd happened the day before -

Quote:
My house has a phantom drip, about which I think we have a thread hereabouts.

Something drips from the ceiling now and then. It's not water or bits of plaster - it's icy cold if it falls on you and looks like wallpaper paste.
It vanishes as it hits the floor or someone's head or, on one memorable occasion, a tray of Chinese takeaway food!

If ectoplasm existed I'd say our 'drip' fits the bill.

On that day, Nick had replastered the kitchen ceiling and we were standing admiring it when a HUGE glob of drip emerged from the ceiling, hung for a second and then dropped, splattering on the floor and immediately disappearing.

Nick assumed there was a leak from somewhere (as he was halfway through replumbing the bathroom!) but there wasn't - it was just the drip.

He did what others have done at my house - climbed up to feel the ceiling - dry - felt the floor - dry - and ran upstairs to check the taps - all off.

Nick was terrified. Took a LOT of persuasion/bribing to get him to stay. Then next day he got knocked into the bath! Laughing

Lots of people have seen and investigated the drip, including my younger son who is currently doing a PhD in particle physics. Not a gullible type of bloke!

The drip follows my elder daughter around and once appeared in Welsh campsite toilet. There's loyalty for you. Wink
I've even felt it on my head in a supermarket, then looked around and spotted her. Weird.
It has a particular appearance for her, which is described elsewhere on here.
CarlosTheDJOffline
Dazed and confused for so long its not true
Total posts: 2313
PostPosted: 19-01-2014 09:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like she's got some sort of allergy Wink
Fanari_LloydOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 19-01-2014 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-you Escargot. Well. Wow. O_O Do you still have the drip?
escargot1Offline
PostPosted: 19-01-2014 13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, it does make the odd appearance. We're used to it. Very Happy

The above incidents happened when we were having alterations done.

One night, after the kitchen was ripped and we couldn't cook, we had a takeaway. As it was being carried through to the remains of the dining room on a tray, a really huge drip fell from the ceiling in the usual place, splattered all over the meal and disappeared. Didn't even hold us up. Laughing
Fanari_LloydOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 19-01-2014 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really bewilders me that it just vanishes - you would expect some sort of residue. But if it disappears, no-one could even collect a sample to try and test what it was -- so all I can think, as you mentioned, is ectoplasm.

I've read about odd issues and drips of water, even various types of oil, but not something that disappears.
escargot1Offline
PostPosted: 19-01-2014 14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ex, who was then a high school science teacher, and my younger son, who's now a postdoc physicist at CERN, saw the drip many times. It even landed on the ex's head.

I think it was taunting them. Laughing
escargot1Offline
PostPosted: 19-01-2014 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, where's jeff544? We need to hear about more house spookiness. Very Happy
Fanari_LloydOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 19-01-2014 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think it was taunting them.

I like that idea.

I am sorry, I was not ignoring Jeff544 - I am very interested, but I had to ask about the house! I love tales like this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: