Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Sick Jokes: Funny ot Not!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you feel about sick jokes?
I'll laugh at and facebook post anything
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I'll laugh but I won't facbook post
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
Some subjects funny, some not
77%
 77%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 18

ChrisBoardmanOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 700
PostPosted: 09-01-2014 15:34    Post subject: Sick Jokes: Funny ot Not! Reply with quote

I've been criticised for some of my jokes I post on facebook (blame sickipedia), some days I am surprised I have any facebook friends left at all.

I generally find sexist jokes more funny than racist ones, some racial issues I won't post up.

Even though, I have laughed at some jokes I wouldn't re-post.

How does everyone else feel?
Quake42Offline
Warrior Princess
Total posts: 5546
PostPosted: 09-01-2014 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer: it depends on the joke (not the subject, as the poll suggests).

Some "sick" jokes are hilarious, others are just crude and offensive for the sake of it.
ChrisBoardmanOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 09-01-2014 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quake42 wrote:
Short answer: it depends on the joke (not the subject, as the poll suggests).

I agree there, probably the least likely subject I would laugh at is a joke about disabled children. But there have been some very creative ones about a certain son of Katie Price.
escargot1Offline
Total posts: 18399
PostPosted: 09-01-2014 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Sickipedia too and often re-post the jokes on Facebook. Not really sick ones though, don't want to get arrested. Wink
MercuryCrestOffline
The Severed Head Of A
Total posts: 795
PostPosted: 10-01-2014 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to add, "Dead Babies" to the poll.

I think that really says it all, don't you?
IamSundogOffline
The FTMB member previously known as Sundog
Total posts: 1742
PostPosted: 10-01-2014 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like many sick jokes - there's a double layer of humor going on: laughing at the joke itself, and laughing at the fact that one is breaking a social taboo by laughing.

But even I have limits - and Dead Baby jokes is one of them. Several decades ago I had an infant son who died, and 2 or 3 years later I was in a gathering where someone told a DB joke that I didn't exactly find hilarious. It woke me up to the fact that the sick joke topic might just be a real tender issue for others within hearing.
escargot1Offline
PostPosted: 10-01-2014 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, since a close relation's sudden and traumatic death I am sometimes offended when people joke about that particular means of dying. That's my problem though and I have to deal with it. I wouldn't want them arrested, for example.

However, it colours my opinion of them. I don't have to like those people or do things for them. Next time it's p*ssing down and they need a lift, and I'm in my cosy old banger, I remember the joke, and they're walking. Twisted Evil
MonstrosaOffline
Total posts: 606
PostPosted: 11-01-2014 11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a difference between telling a sick joke to your really good mates in a private setting and telling it to the whole works canteen. In the first case you likely know the histories of your mates and how much offence they'll take. In the other you don't. Social media sites and forums are not the place to post them, if you want to tell them to your mates then PM them.
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14371
PostPosted: 11-01-2014 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

IamSundog wrote:
But even I have limits - and Dead Baby jokes is one of them. Several decades ago I had an infant son who died, and 2 or 3 years later I was in a gathering where someone told a DB joke that I didn't exactly find hilarious. It woke me up to the fact that the sick joke topic might just be a real tender issue for others within hearing.

I feel the same way about paedophile jokes, if you're going to tell one of those it better be absolutely fucking hilarious or don't bother. But I don't think no subject is above (or below) humour, it's all in the way you tell them: sympathy and wit and as said above a sense of appropriateness never go amiss.
escargot1Offline
PostPosted: 11-01-2014 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you can get locked up. Shocked

Matthew Woods jailed over explicit Facebook comments
OneWingedBirdOffline
Freelance Subversive
Total posts: 1163
PostPosted: 11-01-2014 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hudson added: "The reason for the sentence is the seriousness of the offence, the public outrage that has been caused and we felt there was no other sentence this court could have passed which conveys to you the abhorrence that many in society feel this crime should receive."

The public can be outraged over whatever they damn well please. it's rather like the tram lady thing... someone whips up an angry mob and it ends in a prosecution for something that may have been obnoxious but would nototherwise have resulted in one.
escargot1Offline
PostPosted: 11-01-2014 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, most of the jokes he made're easily accessible with a quick Google.
In fact, the 'Hide And Seek Champion' joke has been running for some years and is dragged up on beta with tedious regularity.

I personally feel that a spot of Unpaid Work (formerly known as Community Service') would've done the job better than imprisonment.
For a start it lasts longer, as the minimum sentence is 40 hours, usually at 2-4 hours a session, and he'd have copped for longer than that, and there's no time off for good behaviour.
Ringo_Offline
Sanitised for your protection
Total posts: 1109
PostPosted: 13-01-2014 09:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricky Gervais talks about offensive/sick jokes all the time. His opinion is that there is no subject which should be left untouched. The trick is to realise that laughing does not condone the behaviour or opinion but is rather a social venting. We allow ourselves to laugh at something otherwise quite stressful because it is reduced to the ridiculous or we suspend moral judgement.

He often quotes cancer and AIDS as "fu**ing hilarious". It took me a while to get what he meant but I understand now. It's what stops us going insane at an unjust world.
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 13-01-2014 10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't stand Gervais. Smug, self satisfied wanker.
ChrisBoardmanOffline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 13-01-2014 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pietro_Mercurios wrote:
Can't stand Gervais. Smug, self satisfied wanker.

I agree, no where near as funny as Jimmy Carr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: