Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Sick Jokes: Funny ot Not!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you feel about sick jokes?
I'll laugh at and facebook post anything
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I'll laugh but I won't facbook post
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
Some subjects funny, some not
77%
 77%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 18

Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 13-01-2014 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisBoardman wrote:
Pietro_Mercurios wrote:
Can't stand Gervais. Smug, self satisfied wanker.

I agree, no where near as funny as Jimmy Carr

Two bodies sharing one giant ego.
ChrisBoardmanOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 704
PostPosted: 13-01-2014 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pietro_Mercurios wrote:
ChrisBoardman wrote:
Pietro_Mercurios wrote:

I don't mind someone having an inflated ego if they genuinely have talent to match.
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 13-01-2014 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisBoardman wrote:
Pietro_Mercurios wrote:
ChrisBoardman wrote:
Pietro_Mercurios wrote:

I don't mind someone having an inflated ego if they genuinely have talent to match.

quite
McAvennie_Offline
OBE
Total posts: 2805
PostPosted: 13-01-2014 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

It obviously depends on your own sensibilities. There are all things we are more sensitive about and no doubt you could pick 10 or 15 of the worst jokes and there would be a different mix of us who would tick acceptable and unacceptable for each one.

I think it is very dangerous though to separate things into different levels of offensiveness. I very much believe you laugh at everything or you laugh at nothing. Basing a joke on someone's accent, nationality, age, race, gender, sexuality, hair colour... none of those things are choices, all of them are things you are born with and have to deal with so why should it be any more offensive to single someone out to be the butt of a joke because of their skin colour or sexual orientation than if the reason they are being mocked is because they are Irish or ginger?

And as for the sick topics, some sick jokes are just 'How offensive can I be for shock value?' but sometimes they are funny. However, I think it is utterly ridiculous for assumptions to be made that because you laugh at a joke you agree with or are condoning the issue or act that the joke refers to.
YithianOffline
Keeping the British end up
Total posts: 11943
PostPosted: 13-01-2014 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what happened to me with stand-up. Let's have a think...

As a teenager I used to find a lot of comics wildly funny, and then - like a swathe of my generation - I became borderline obsessed with Bill Hicks and would evangelise about his work to strangers like a proper party bore. Since then most stand up acts I've sat through have either seemed dull or pointless to me - purposeless, perhaps. I can laugh at both Gervais and Carr - they clearly have some charisma (perhaps anti-charisma in Carr's case) and a bag of tricks - but my interest is fleeting. I prefer a more symphonic performance, something with a theme and a narrative. I'm not very familiar with his material, but the little I've seen of George Carlin seems to strike a similar chord.

One of the few comedians I've seen multiple times is Robert Newman, he of mercurial fame in the 90s. His acts couldn't be further from sketch and catchphrase based humor of The Mary Whitehouse Experience and Newman & Baddiel; you come away feeling simply educated, somehow more aware that when you first sat down: the Zapatistas, dollar hegemony, the Cuban revolution, the colonial middle-east, oil exploitation during the first world war: all subjects about which he sparked an interest for me. His friend Mark Thomas is hit and miss: brilliant when he hits and repetitive and hectoring when he misses.

Perhaps I just grew up and became boring/serious about my comedy.
Sorry if I come across as snobby about the subject; comedy is like sex: you're not really responsible for what floats your boat.
McAvennie_Offline
OBE
Total posts: 2805
PostPosted: 13-01-2014 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ross Noble is still the one I admire most. I've seen Carr live and it is just a parrotted rehearsed routine, which, while funny, is a facsimilie of the same show from the night before. Seems the way with most new comics, same jokes on their Michael McIntyre appearance as on their DVD and every panel show appearance.

Noble, however, seems to just ramble off on stories based on random comments from the audience and while the show has a basic structure I cannot imagine any two shows are the same. That said, I have found his travelogue shows on TV to be very underwhelming.
YithianOffline
Keeping the British end up
Total posts: 11943
PostPosted: 13-01-2014 12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

McAvennie_ wrote:

Noble, however, seems to just ramble off on stories based on random comments from the audience and while the show has a basic structure I cannot imagine any two shows are the same. That said, I have found his travelogue shows on TV to be very underwhelming.

If you like a ramble, Norman Lovett is your man.
An acquired taste, to be sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO44t-Kg3cU
gncxxOffline
King-Size Canary
Total posts: 14391
PostPosted: 13-01-2014 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still hoping for the news Gervais has been edited out of the new Muppets movie. Someone I know described him as a black hole sucking all the humour out of the trailer, and he's not wrong. Tina Fey - yay! Ricky - sickie.
SpookdaddyOffline
Cuckoo
Total posts: 4234
PostPosted: 14-01-2014 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

During his years in the Royal Engineers my brother was involved in some pretty messy clean up operations in Northern Ireland. Grim, even sick humour was par for the course and pretty clearly a way of dealing with the practicalities of the situation - disrespect was never an intention. (It should be pointed out that they were sometimes searching for bits and pieces of their own friends and comrades.)

One of my brothers oppos had been involved in the immediate aftermath of the Lockerbie bombing (and I mean immediate - he was one of the first on the ground). He always claims that every single joke he ever heard about the incident originated in the fields around Lockerbie within 36 hours of the bombing.

(I recall him telling me that the 'someone must have left their landing lights on' comment occurred before they'd even got on their transport - impossible to verify, but I wouldn’t mind betting it’s true.)
jimv1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2981
PostPosted: 25-01-2014 01:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sick Jokes come with a wince when you make them up.
Repeating sick jokes is pretty lame.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: