Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Computing in a portable fashion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YithianOffline
Keeping the British end up
Total posts: 11943
PostPosted: 19-01-2014 12:45    Post subject: Computing in a portable fashion Reply with quote

The time has come to replace my current LG laptop and I find that both hardware and software have leapt ahead during my two years of complete inattention. Chromebooks, macbooks, ultrabooks: I'm sure they all have pros and cons. SSD memory? I3/I5/I7 Vs AMD? Can anybody shed any light?

Anyway, I have the money for something relatively expensive (but not quite top of the range) although I've never used a non-Windows system before; that doesn't rule out alternatives, but it does mean I'd like some reassurance before buying one.

Requirements:
I use my computer intensively for office-type work, leisure and communication in multiple locations: battery life and reliability are important.

I don't play games, but do spend a lot of time moving around large files from place to place, hard-drive to hard-drive, and my current machine grinds to a virtual halt too often and prevents me doing much else while the job is being done.

I use my computer for a lot of (high quality) audio and video (but not modern games) and want a large and high-resolution screen. I have a couple of external hard-drives, but a fair size onboard hard-drive is also needed.

I'd be grateful for any recomendations. It's a minefield out there!
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 19-01-2014 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a Samsung NF210, netbook (10.1"screen). running Windows 7 starter, for over two years now. Although it's now underpowered and struggles to run HD video from YouTube, it's been very, very, reliable, never crashed and with a good battery life. I've also run it on Knoppix linux, which can be very handy if using it on public wifi a lot.

If I were you, I'd check through all the reviews and consider an up to date Samsung. Either a convertible, touch screen, tablet with removable keyboard, or one of the 13.3" laptops. A handy size for portability.

Personally, I'd definitely consider getting another Samsung.

Maybe one of these? Samsung Ativ Book 9 Lite
liveinabin1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2255
PostPosted: 19-01-2014 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Mac Book Air. I take it to work every day. I find Pages easier to use than Word, but you can get Word for the Mac. It's got a solid state drive which makes it quick.

I've been a Mac user for about 15 years now and I find it much easier to use than windows, but maybe thats just what I'm used to.
MythopoeikaOffline
Boring petty conservative
Total posts: 10008
PostPosted: 19-01-2014 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to do with it.

Generally, I'd recommend laptops by Toshiba, Samsung and HP.

I'm using an HP Touchsmart tm2, which is a few years old now, and it still runs fast enough to cope with video, downloads etc. That's an obsolete model, but it's good enough for me to recommend HP.

My nephew recently bought a Microsoft Surface, which seemed pretty good (although Win 8 takes some getting used to). Too soon to tell how reliable it is, I guess.

Personally, I wouldn't buy an Apple. They used to be known for the quality of their hardware, but recently the quality of manufacturing has taken a dive. My boss's daughter has a new Mac, and the graphic adapter now won't work. I read on Slashdot that this has happened to a lot of people recently.
HenryFortOffline
I am Seeking Rest for my Weary Heart
Total posts: 1126
PostPosted: 19-01-2014 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

thinkpad tablet or laptop, cloud storage.
Spudrick68Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1219
PostPosted: 19-01-2014 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not related but my moan, very infrequently I get an urge to purchase a computer game. Why is Windows 8 such a pain in the arse regarding compatibility?
Zilch5Offline
Vogon Poet
Total posts: 1579
PostPosted: 20-01-2014 00:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spudrick68 wrote:
Not related but my moan, very infrequently I get an urge to purchase a computer game. Why is Windows 8 such a pain in the arse regarding compatibility?
\

Because Windows 7 actually works quite well. If it were compatible with Windows 8, no one would upgrade... Twisted Evil
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 20-01-2014 08:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also because WIn8 appears to be an attempt at an one size fits all operating system for the smartphonetouchtabletnetultrabooklaptophomepc era. And a crappy one at that.
YithianOffline
PostPosted: 20-01-2014 09:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

All suggestions noted. Thank you for the help.

Can somebody give me a capsule summary of cloud storage, please? Is it basically keeping your files somewhere online instead of a physical hard disk? I did wonder why so many high-end laptops had comparatively small hard drives.
YithianOffline
PostPosted: 20-01-2014 09:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played with windows 8 in the shop but guessed (incorrectly?) that it would be possible to dump the flashy (read: cumbersome) interface and default to something similar to every other Microsoft OS since '95.

If it's a matter of having to totally 'relearn' how to do stuff, I'm not so troubled by the possibility of.exploring alternatives like Chrome or whatever Apple runs. (Please tell me itunes isn't typical - that's half the reason I dumped my iPhone for a Samsung Galaxy Note 3!)
liveinabin1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2255
PostPosted: 20-01-2014 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Bin, who buys laptops for school to be used by teachers and pupils tends to buy Acer computers.
ramonmercadoOnline
Psycho Punk
Total posts: 19640
PostPosted: 20-01-2014 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

theyithian wrote:
I played with windows 8 in the shop but guessed (incorrectly?) that it would be possible to dump the flashy (read: cumbersome) interface and default to something similar to every other Microsoft OS since '95.

If it's a matter of having to totally 'relearn' how to do stuff, I'm not so troubled by the possibility of.exploring alternatives like Chrome or whatever Apple runs. (Please tell me itunes isn't typical - that's half the reason I dumped my iPhone for a Samsung Galaxy Note 3!)

8.1 allows you to operate in old mode. I've had no problems with it.
SHAYBARSABEOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 1499
PostPosted: 21-01-2014 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

theyithian wrote:
All suggestions noted. Thank you for the help.

Can somebody give me a capsule summary of cloud storage, please? Is it basically keeping your files somewhere online instead of a physical hard disk? I did wonder why so many high-end laptops had comparatively small hard drives.

Yes. It's also insecure, or at least more insecure than your physical hard drive, so if you are doing work that requires security, cloud storage isn't for you.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 24072
PostPosted: 21-01-2014 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

My website is in the cloud.

Didn't I mention my website? I must be getting forgetful in my old age! Wink It's:-
http://cornwalltidesreach.weebly.com/index.html

It's on servers in California, so if the San Andreas Fault suddenly kicks off, my website could be toast! (Along with much of California...)

(I still have all the originals of the photographs, backed up on disks and memory sticks, but all the website text and formatting, etc, would be lost. And I doubt I'll ever have the time or energy to rebuild it elsewhere. So go and check it out now, while it's still there! [/advt] )

Similarly with Marine Traffic - I and many hundred other marine photographers have uploaded ship pictures to there, but if the company goes bust, well - pffftt! (Come to think of it, their servers might be in California too...)

Much the same on a lesser scale with the FT website. If Dennis pulls the plug, then all the years of brilliant ideas, wit and repartee, and plain bonkersness that we've all posted here at various times will be returned to primordial, random electrons.

If you want it to last forever, you'd best get is a lump of granite and some chisels, and set to work... Twisted Evil
Zilch5Offline
Vogon Poet
Total posts: 1579
PostPosted: 22-01-2014 05:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

theyithian wrote:
(Please tell me itunes isn't typical - that's half the reason I dumped my iPhone for a Samsung Galaxy Note 3!)

If you didn't like Itunes, stay away from Apple. Seeing you are used to Android already via your Samsung Galaxy, why not get an Android tablet?

It works the same way - only with a bigger screen. You can either get one with a SIM card in there, or tether it to your smart phone. Either way, you have the net on the go and don't have to worry about a lap top.

I got all three, laptop, tablet and Android phone - works well for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: