Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
Computing in a portable fashion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 22-01-2014 08:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

rynner2 wrote:
My website is in the cloud.

Didn't I mention my website? I must be getting forgetful in my old age! Wink It's:-
http://cornwalltidesreach.weebly.com/index.html

It's on servers in California, so if the San Andreas Fault suddenly kicks off, my website could be toast! (Along with much of California...)

If you want it to last forever, you'd best get is a lump of granite and some chisels, and set to work... Twisted Evil

Thanks for that. Just been looking at the page, Penlee to St Ives. Used to live round there. Looked at the first picture and thought, that's 'Mouzel'.

Smile

Doesn't being on, 'the cloud' mean that the data is spread over several servers all over the place? Theoretically to offset outages or earthquakes in one, or two, particular places.
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 10604
PostPosted: 22-01-2014 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zilch5 wrote:
theyithian wrote:
(Please tell me itunes isn't typical - that's half the reason I dumped my iPhone for a Samsung Galaxy Note 3!)

If you didn't like Itunes, stay away from Apple.

iTunes by itself is enough to get me to stay away from Apple. The fact that they don't provide USB slots or other memory card slots on any of their iPads is enough for me to steer clear.

Really, I'd say you want to think of all the specific apps/software packages you may want to use, and then find out which platform supports all of them. Oh yes, and if you want to use it for any serious translation work, only one platform will do. Clue: it isn't Apple.
Ringo_Offline
Sanitised for your protection
Total posts: 1129
PostPosted: 23-01-2014 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Mac convert so I have to chip in here.

I used them at Uni years ago as they were the best for desktop publishing and reprographics back then. I've used windows based since then but a friend convinced me to buy a macbook 5 years ago. I bought the cheapest Macbook on the market. And I love it.

i have had it ever since. I've had 0 crashes, no blue screens, no repairs, no noises, no noisy fans, no latency. I can surf the net quickly and safely without fear of Microsoft aimed viruses and malware. I can store, share, transfer and do everything I could with a windows based laptop but here's the difference. It just works.

No drivers to install, no 3rd party software, no settings to mess with etc. Mac just knows what you want to do and what you want to do with it.

In order to make my machine more flexibe, I did buy Microsoft Office for Mac which I use daily. It is however, the only thing which slows down my machine as it constantly wants to update even though there are no updates.

I wonöt go back to a windows based computer again.
YithianOffline
Keeping the British end up
Total posts: 11948
PostPosted: 23-01-2014 12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a powerful recommendation and I'll give it some serious consideration.
As to everyone else's ideas, thank you. I'm reading and digesting it all.
rynner2Offline
What a Cad!
Total posts: 25624
PostPosted: 23-01-2014 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pietro_Mercurios wrote:
Thanks for that. Just been looking at the page, Penlee to St Ives. Used to live round there. Looked at the first picture and thought, that's 'Mouzel'.

Smile

Doesn't being on, 'the cloud' mean that the data is spread over several servers all over the place? Theoretically to offset outages or earthquakes in one, or two, particular places.

You're thinking more of the reasoning behind Arpanet, which was to create many pathways for sending messages, even if some 'nodes' were destroyed.
Quote:
The Advanced Research Projects Agency Network (ARPANET) was one of the world's first operational packet switching networks, the first network to implement TCP/IP, and the progenitor of what was to become the global Internet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARPANET

But it would be very expensive to store multiple copies of huge amounts of information at many different places, unless you're a national government, or a very large company.

But as technology marches on, perhaps the internet and the cloud will eventually merge entirely...
Zilch5Offline
Vogon Poet
Total posts: 1580
PostPosted: 24-01-2014 03:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ringo_ wrote:

No drivers to install, no 3rd party software, no settings to mess with etc. Mac just knows what you want to do and what you want to do with it.

Well, the settings and 3rd party software are what make the other platforms so flexible and attractive to me. If you want your machine to tell you what you can or can't do - and let yourself be limited to one source for software, music, videos etc - fine, use Mac. They are easy to use - no doubt.

But if you like to mess around a bit and like to keep your options open (and enjoy heaps of free apps and programs) - then the Android platform is the way to go. For me, anyway.
MythopoeikaOffline
PostPosted: 25-01-2014 00:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Android is getting to be more of a viable alternative these days.
jimv1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 3189
PostPosted: 25-01-2014 00:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey... Sainsbury's are doing a 32GB USB stick for £11.99!!!!

So if you're a time traveller from 1979, I'd get in there quick, snag a few and build us a better internet.
MythopoeikaOffline
PostPosted: 25-01-2014 00:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimv1 wrote:
Hey... Sainsbury's are doing a 32GB USB stick for £11.99!!!!

So if you're a time traveller from 1979, I'd get in there quick, snag a few and build us a better internet.

USB wasn't around in 1979, so you'd have to take a load of other equipment as well. As much as you can squeeze into the Delorean, I guess.
jimv1Offline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 25-01-2014 00:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother with a DeLorean. I'll lend you my hoverboard.

humour_mode=("0")

Make 32GB PCs.

humour_mode=("1")
liveinabin1Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 2269
PostPosted: 25-01-2014 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second everything Ringo said.
It's so hard to talk about Macs without sounding like a complete evangelist fan boy.

I take my own MacBook Air to work because I'd rather use that than a windows machine.
Ringo_Offline
Sanitised for your protection
Total posts: 1129
PostPosted: 25-01-2014 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zilch5 wrote:
Ringo_ wrote:

Well, the settings and 3rd party software are what make the other platforms so flexible and attractive to me. If you want your machine to tell you what you can or can't do - and let yourself be limited to one source for software, music, videos etc - fine, use Mac. They are easy to use - no doubt.

What I mean is that you can mess with settings, other software, extensions and what have yous but you don't need to. I have never, ever had to mess with settings in order to get something to work.

It matters not a jot to me what people prefer. I just think that calling a Mac limiting is misleading. It doesn't tell me what i can or can't do. It does the things I want to do without getting in the way. I've been thinking of a way to explain better how I mean.

If a Mac was a car, it would be a fully finished car you could buy at the dealer. If you want to pimp your car, then the dealer will sell you the parts and tyres you need. This is the only place you can get them. Everything is designed and manufactured to work together by the same set of people.

A Windows based computer is a kit car. You buy the frame which has been designed to let any other company make parts that fit and work with it. You can tweak away and add or take away as many different make and styles of things as you want.

Just don't be surprised when the car starts to behave strangely. You have 30 different manufacturers parts trying to work together.
Zilch5Offline
Vogon Poet
Total posts: 1580
PostPosted: 27-01-2014 00:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Ringo_"][quote="Zilch5"]
Ringo_ wrote:

No drivers to install, no 3rd party software, no settings to mess with etc. Mac just knows what you want to do and what you want to do with it. has been designed to let any other company make parts that fit and work with it. You can tweak away and add or take away as many different make and styles of things as you want.

Exactly - that's a good analogy.
jimv1Offline
Great Old One
PostPosted: 01-03-2014 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

As my pc is busted, I was looking at a laptop today with money burning a hole in my wallet and said to the assistant 'so I can just take this out of the box and hook up the wifi at home?'

He said '"Oh no... this is windows 8. You're going to need 11 discs to burn or a 32gb flash drive to do the install. ...which will take a few hours'.
'What? And every laptop here is the same?
'Yeah. But we run a set up service to do it for you for £55..'.

Is this right or has the world gone mad?
Pietro_Mercurios
Heuristically Challenged
PostPosted: 01-03-2014 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to another shop. Try and get one with Windows 7 installed. Windows 8 is crap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: