Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
A scary long flash of light at night: ever experienced it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9657
PostPosted: 04-02-2014 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ermintrude wrote:
Mythopoeika wrote:

Yes! I derived the name from Woodroffe's 'Mythopoeikon' - a great work.

Excellent! One of my all-time favourites, haven't seen my copy for years, though. And it means something like the lifetime's flashback final view captured in the eye of someone, as they leave this plane of existence?

Does it????

I thought it was simply a merger of 'mythopoeic' and 'icon'.
ErmintrudeOffline
Grey
Total posts: 24
PostPosted: 04-02-2014 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mythopoeika"][quote="Ermintrude"]
Mythopoeika wrote:

Does it????

I thought it was simply a merger of 'mythopoeic' and 'icon'.

I'm paraphrasing slightly, but from memory there's a quote in the frontpiece that's very close to what I've said. What an amazing Fortean artist Woodroffe is, a total genius of a man.

[And at the end (?) of this topic/thread/tale, I have another experience that's worth recounting, to the FTMB. Much less frightening than the uberflash episode, but perhaps even a bit more mysterious. I wonder if it'd qualify as an IHTM? Possibly...but it was witnessed, rather than experienced.]
MythopoeikaOffline
Total posts: 9657
PostPosted: 05-02-2014 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ermintrude wrote:
[And at the end (?) of this topic/thread/tale, I have another experience that's worth recounting, to the FTMB. Much less frightening than the uberflash episode, but perhaps even a bit more mysterious. I wonder if it'd qualify as an IHTM? Possibly...but it was witnessed, rather than experienced.]

Ooh! Ooh! Do tell, please.
ErmintrudeOffline
Grey
PostPosted: 05-02-2014 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythopoeika wrote:

Tomorrow...almost certainly, I shall relate the tale, as today has been too much.
feinmanOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 211
PostPosted: 06-02-2014 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythopoeika wrote:
Ermintrude wrote:

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!
XBergMannOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 45
PostPosted: 10-02-2014 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar but much shorter in duration event happen to me back in the early 1980s.

Back then the teenage me lived in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire. The terrain there is very flat with numerous small villages spread about in a rural arable farming environment.

One night I was riding my Honda 250 home from visiting friends it would have been around 2am and the roads were deserted. In between villages of course there were absolutely no streetlights and sitting on a motorcycle gave me quite a high position compared to say a car driver, so I had a good clear view of the surrounding countryside which was illuminated by starlight and a milky glow from a quartermoon (or at least the moon was nowhere near full).

As I reached the top of a slight incline the entire sky horizon to horizon was lit up in an intensely bright light for no more than a second or two. It was extremely bright and I clearly remember trees, bushes and the surrounding farmland lit up in full colour for the duration. The effect can only compared to an enormous camera flash going off. I bought my motorcycle to a stop at the side of the road as I had short term effects to my eyesight, again the sort of symptoms one gets if a camera flash goes off right in your face.

When my vision returned to normal I was able to ride home with no problems, my journey home seemed to take no more or less time than usual.

I fully expected to see some comment about this is the local newspapers but there was nothing and no one else ever commented on seeing such a thing.

I know I didn't imagine it as I had to stop my motorcycle as the flash blinded me for a few seconds, I remember hoping I didn't run off the road onto the verge as I was slowing down as I temporarily couldn't see. I remember sitting there waiting for vision to return to nightview mode and I remember riding off again afterwards.

This happened to me at the end of Summer 1981, mid September or thereabouts.

Has anyone else experienced an enormous camera flash like this?
HenryFortOffline
I am Seeking Rest for my Weary Heart
Total posts: 1091
PostPosted: 10-02-2014 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

momentary optical in-eye aberration ?
Human_84Offline
We wont hurt you human.
Total posts: 1242
PostPosted: 10-02-2014 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

XBerg, thanks for the story! I gather your account is a bit different because it wasn't near as bright as the original poster's incident.

I've seen multiple lightning flashes occur at near the same time, making a 2-3 second duration in total, but I suppose you wouldn't have posted if it was at all similar to lightning.

When you use words like intensely bright or extremely bright, would that mean brighter than daylight? Keep in mind with no period of time for your eyes to adjust to daylight, a regular daytime brightness might seem about 50% brighter than normal. Considering this, I'd be curious if you and the original poster (Ermintrude) would agree on the same intensity of light or not.
ErmintrudeOffline
Grey
PostPosted: 10-02-2014 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Human_84 wrote:

When you use words like intensely bright or extremely bright, would that mean brighter than daylight? Keep in mind with no period of time for your eyes to adjust to daylight, a regular daytime brightness might seem about 50% brighter than normal. Considering this, I'd be curious if you and the original poster (Ermintrude) would agree on the same intensity of light or not.

My subjective impression is that the light that hit us was brighter than just visible, it was like an painful extended impact from a hard liquid.

I do take the point regarding the relative sensitivity of the human eye, and the effect of after-image bleaching, but this was totally beyond normal levels of perception via the senses >as well as< being sensed conventionally.

And yet- XBerg, there is some resonance between our tales. Driving, countryside, night, after-effects. Interesting.
feinmanOffline
Great Old One
Total posts: 211
PostPosted: 11-02-2014 01:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of this:
http://scienceandtheufocontroversy.blogspot.com/2013/04/solid-lights-and-neglected-ufo-science.html
Hope I didn't post it here before.
amarok2005Offline
Great Old One
Total posts: 220
PostPosted: 11-02-2014 03:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread brought back memories of something that happened to me around the age of 8 or 9 (late 1960s). One afternoon a storm was approaching; wind and leaves and big raindrops were all around. My father had my brother and me scrambling around the yard to drag lawn furniture, bikes, rakes, etc., into the garage so he could close the big door and keep things from blowing away or getting soaked.

While my dad and brother were in the back, I ran through the garage and out onto the concrete drive to grab up some last item. I straightened up with whatever it was, looked at the houses across the street, and suddenly I was totally engulfed in white light, so "dense" it was like being submerged in an ocean of milk (yet I suspect it would actually be dark down in a sea of milk . . .)

There was rain and lightning in the distance, but I didn't panic or think that I'd been hit by a thunderbolt. I didn't think anything as a matter of fact; I couldn't figure out what was going on. One second I could see the neighborhood, the maple tree in the front yard, the grass and the driveway; the next I saw white in every direction.

Then it was gone, and I just blinked and withdrew into the garage. I've been told this was "heat lightning" or "sheet lightning," but there was absolutely no sound for the few seconds I was engulfed. I wondered later if I had been so stunned by thunder that I didn't remember hearing it -- but surely my brother and dad would have made some comment if they had heard a clap -- or seen the white light, for that matter.

Again, I always thought it was some sort of meteorological event, for there was a strong storm approaching, and there was lightning in the distance. It was quite light outside, also, like noon under an overcast (perhaps it was).

This was the first time, also, that I realized that when I'm presented with something I absolutely can't figure out, I'm not afraid or curious or angry or disturbed. I don't think "WTF?" or anything else. Conscious thought seems to shut down and I just stare at it.
XBergMannOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 45
PostPosted: 13-02-2014 14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies people.

Definitely not lightning, just a sudden flash that lit up the entire landscape around me. It is very flat in the fens and I was also just coming to the top of a small rise in the road, so sitting on my motorcycle I could see the fields around me in a dim late summer moonglow / starglow.

Then suddenly this huge flash, I was wearing a crash helmet and riding a motorcycle so I have no idea f there was an accompanying sound but for a second or so it seemed to be daylight on a bright simmer's day.

Although as you rightly point out my eyes would have been more accustomed to darkness as it was 2am. Bear in my mind though that riding a motorcycle with 12 volt lights and a very effective high beam I was looking into light as I rode along so the flash would have been very bright to cancel out the headlight beam momentarily.

The only explanation is some sort of lightning but if it was it was like no lightning I had ever seen before so I still find that hard to accept.
WierdExeterOffline
Grey
Total posts: 29
PostPosted: 26-02-2014 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened in the village of Witheridge, Devon in the winter of 1984, when I was 16.

It was dark (8pm) And there was few inches of snow on the ground (not unusual as the village is over 600 feet above sea level). I was mucking about with friends in the village square, throwing snowballs and whatever, when a massive, brilliant white flash lit up our surroundings like daylight. It was so bright that people came out of the Angel pub to see what was going on!

It was seen again, later that week, and temporarily blinded some teenagers who were walking past a building site. They said the source was close, and low. It was the talk of the village for days after (amongst us kids, anyway).

The light was not lightening, it was an artificial white. This was during the Cold War, and the village is underneath a military flight path, so we were used to seeing all manner of RAF jets and transports. My money is it being military in origin, although it was a very still night and no sound whatsoever was to be heard.
bobandterryOffline
Grey
Total posts: 29
PostPosted: 02-03-2014 18:35    Post subject: flash in east cleveland uk Reply with quote

When i was away visiting relatives. My wife phone to tell of a flash of light and bang in east Cleveland uk. This was in 2003. Never found out what this was. Other neighbours heard it too.[/quote]
Old_ShoeOffline
Yeti
Total posts: 74
PostPosted: 02-03-2014 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

A meteor could cause a bright flash like that. Maybe that's what these (or some) of the flashes could've been?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index -> It Happened to Me! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: